Ole Miss Postgame Report

cncchris33

ZJC didn't ask me to do one for this game, but the absence of one tells me he is otherwise detained. Another bullpen appearance for me...

Same song, different verse. FTs and TOs cost us yet another game. If we have half of either, we win. It just gets old saying it. A team that forces as few TOs as we do, can't afford 21 of our own on the road against a top-25 team. Another thing that gets old...hearing about how good we are defensively just because we "limit" teams to games in the 50's. Last night was a tale of two halves. We were effective in the first half and OM couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. The second half was one of the worst efforts I've seen in a season's worth of bad efforts. Where was Reese in the second half?

The Good...
-Jordan McRae is the clear leader of this team. I don't know how good of a leader he is, but its obvious thst he cares and he comes to play every night now, TOs aside. If everyone played as hard as he does, perhaps he's not trying to force too much, leading to those TOs.
-Moore provided good minutes again. He looked like a freshman at times and was slopoy with the ball on occasion, but he also appears to care and is a jack of all trades. Another good rebounding effort.

The Bad...
-Kenny Hall...go home now. Please. Its obvious CCM isn't going to sit you down, despite terrible awareness, zero effort, stone hands, bad spacing, etc. I can name 10 things you do poorly, if at all, for every one thing you do well. Just quit now and spare us all the misery. 8 pts and 6 rebs looks good on paper, but anyone who watched the second half of that game saw what you really are; a lazy individual who simply exists on the floor.
-Stokes needs to get his head out of the sand, or he's in danger of falling out of favor with the fanbase the way Hall has. He has gone from fan favorite to scapegoat, mostly due to a perceived lack of effort on several occasions. He needs to wake up and take the bull by the horns. I'm sick of empty promises and cheap talk.
-Trae Golden...1 assist. 1 assist and 3 TOs. Pitiful. I'm glad you are looking to score, because God knows we need someone else to, but good grief. You are supposed to be a leader and a calming influence. Yet, you are as erratic with the ball in your hand as they come. You have regressed in all phases of the game IMO; shooting, FT shooting, ball-handling, passing, decision-making.

This team just doesn't get it, but they are what they are, and that's not likely to change overnight. So, everyone saying they'll never watch them again, they hate this team, etc., just relax. As maddening as this team can be at times, you are fools for thinking a tiger will change it's stripes from one game to the next. I suggest you support this team and hope for gradual improvement and not some overnight transformation. The rest of the season will tell us a lot about Martin's ability to coach up a team. I'm starting to lose faith myself. This isn't a tournament team, but it should be an NIT team. If we fall short of that, I'll be very disappointed. Some of you, and the majority are under the age of 25 I would guess, have been spoiled over the past 7 years. The norm for Tennessee basketball isn't 25 wins and the NCAA tournament every year. This isn't Kentucky. So, I suggest tempering your expectations a little and droo the dramatic "the sky is falling" routine after every loss. I know it's frustrating, last night imparticular because we had a chance to beat a good team on the road. Let the season play out and make rational judgement then; not crazy heat of the moment posts like what we saw last night 20 seconds after the final horn.

Reactions: 1 person
Stokes has become a big disappointment, he shows no toughness on the court. Guys like Dejuan Blair and Robert Traylor weren't very athletic, but they still managed to used their size (weight) to dominate the paint. I've come to realize that stokes is going to get his shot blocked by taller players, but atleast go up with force and draw the foul. It obvious that he hasn't learned how to use his size to overcome height disadvantage.

I don't agree with your opinion of Stokes. If you remember last year, a healthy Maymon. Stokes was the second coming of you know who! This year he is having to carry the load, not going to happen. Wait til next year and if he is still not up to your approval, I may be in your corner.

Reactions: 2 people
Stokes has become a big disappointment, he shows no toughness on the court. Guys like Dejuan Blair and Robert Traylor weren't very athletic, but they still managed to used their size (weight) to dominate the paint. I've come to realize that stokes is going to get his shot blocked by taller players, but atleast go up with force and draw the foul. It obvious that he hasn't learned how to use his size to overcome height disadvantage.

Stokes only problem is he came in with too high expectations. People expected him to come in this year and dominate, then leave for the league. He has been solid so far for a player that has barely played a whole season all together as a sophomore. With the absence of Maymon, people had to expect the double teams, which he isn't athletic enough to get past. It took Thomas Robinson 3 years to emerge into the player he is. I expect to see a different Stokes next year with Hubbs and Maymon taking the pressure off of him.

Even the many sunshile pumpers on this board will be hard pressed to spin positives from this game. Horrid team play in the 2nd half. The fact Hall is on the floor at all is telling for the quality of the reserves on this team. No depth, no talent. Just pitiful. Almost makes you think Dooley was coaching this team too. Like I posted earlier this year; this team is more a 20 loss team than a 20 win team. They showed it tonight.

Perspective ---
I didn't watch the game - so I don't have that to influence my opinion - did review the stats.

Assist to turnovers - Golden and McRae
2 assists - 12 turnovers really what else do you need to see or say.

End of story.

That sucks - they would have had to have sucked - neither have ever been interested in passing the ball. Guys that do distribute the ball - say Stokes and Richardson - 2 and 3 shots for the game. What % of the shots did sling it up and slang it up have? And yes this is a reflection of poor coaching. Sling it up should be sitting next to Martin - even if the janitor has to play pg.

I don't agree with your opinion of Stokes. If you remember last year, a healthy Maymon. Stokes was the second coming of you know who! This year he is having to carry the load, not going to happen. Wait til next year and if he is still not up to your approval, I may be in your corner.

i'm not expecting him to lead the vols in scoring, just better effort and more toughness. He plays extremely soft for a guy his size. He should take advantage of Maymon's unfortunate injury and improve his game and his stock.

Where was yemi. He didn't play great early, but they drove the lane countless times and hall nor stokes stepped up one time for a charge on several opportunities. Could've made a difference.

Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately?), I didn't get to watch this game either. When you say "Where was Reese?", did Marting not play him or he didn't play well?

Shaq?

Stokes against Brian Williams would make Brian look like a lottery pick.
Kid doesn't have the D1 want to.

I agree. It just seems Stokes runs so hot and cold. Each game you don't know what you're gonna get from him.
GO VOLS!

I have additions to the bad.
1. cuonzo playing McRae at the point, what did he have, 5 travelling violations last night?
2. Where is Stokes on screens? I specifically watched for him to set some high screens and roll into the lane. It's not happening.
3. I finally figured out why cuonzo doesn't call time outs. He can not coach a team during a TO. It's more benefit for our opponent than us.
4. Still no zone offense. It's beyond maddening to see us look like we've never seen a zone before every game. Not sure what's going on with that.

In the good category.
1. Despite McRae playing PG, he was able to put the ball in the basket. He's quickly turning into a one man show.
2. Yemi played hard again. He is a role player and knows his role.
3. Moore will be a really good player. He needs better coaching. At this point you can tell it's just natural ability and a nose for the ball.

Last edited:
i'm not expecting him to lead the vols in scoring, just better effort and more toughness. He plays extremely soft for a guy his size. He should take advantage of Maymon's unfortunate injury and improve his game and his stock.

Fwiw, I agree with you. It's not a lack of talent with him. It's a lack of understanding how to use and control his body. He does need to utilize his bulk to compensate for his height. Maymon is very good at this. To me, it appears Stokes is like a baby deer learning to walk. He has very little body control when he's being closely guarded.

The Maymon issue is a real issue. Stokes plays better with him in the paint than Kenny Hall, who just takes up space. However, Maymon won't always be around and Stokes needs to learn to play without him. Maybe he is learning and it is just taking him a really long time to learn.

Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately?), I didn't get to watch this game either. When you say "Where was Reese?", did Marting not play him or he didn't play well?

He only played 7 minutes, the majority of which were in the first half. In those minutes, he missed his only FG attempt, but had 3 rebs and an assist. It must have been for defensive purposes. He did pick up two fouls in that time.

1. cuonzo playing McRae at the point, what did he have, 5 travelling violations last night?
2. Where is Stokes on screens? I specifically watched for him to set some high screens and roll into the lane. It's not happening.
3. I finally figured out why cuonzo doesn't call time outs. He can not coach a team during a TO. It's more benefit for our opponent than us.
4. Still no zone offense. It's beyond maddening to see us look like we've never seen a zone before every game. Not sure what's going on with that.

In the good category.
1. Despite McRae playing PG, he was able to put the ball in the basket. He's quickly turning into a one man show.
3. Moore will be a really good player. He needs better coaching. At this point you can tell it's just natural ability and a nose for the ball.

McRae is our best option at pg right now because he is a threat and can penetrate. His travelling violations have nothing to do with playing pg. One wasn't a travel and 2 were when Trae was playing pg and Jordan went to make a move from the wing. Who do you put in at pg?

In the good category.

Honestly, the bad could have gone on and on, but my report was getting long-winded. I agree with your added assessments, even the knock on Martin. Too many times this season, I've seen us come out of a TO and look like all we did with the clock stopped was rest and drink Gatorade.

Realistically, this team needs to finish 10-3 and win at least one game in the SEC tourney to sniff the NCAAs. With games left against UK, Florida, and Missouri, it seems like we have little margin for error. NIT is a more likely goal, but we need more fire and wherewithal from our coach than what I saw on the sideline last night.

McRae is our best option at pg right now because he is a threat and can penetrate. His travelling violations have nothing to do with playing pg. One wasn't a travel and 2 were when Trae was playing pg and Jordan went to make a move from the wing. Who do you put in at pg?

You gotta dance with who brung ya. It's gotta be Golden. He's struggling, but some of that is based on what cuonzo is asking him to do. When he has to walk it up the floor in a slow down half court game, he struggles. I'm not saying to turn a team of walkers into sprinters, but Golden isn't as bad as he's looked the last month. You've got to get him back at the PG.

Even the many sunshile pumpers on this board will be hard pressed to spin positives from this game. Horrid team play in the 2nd half. The fact Hall is on the floor at all is telling for the quality of the reserves on this team. No depth, no talent. Just pitiful. Almost makes you think Dooley was coaching this team too. Like I posted earlier this year; this team is more a 20 loss team than a 20 win team. They showed it tonight.

If we had Maymon it would be a whole different story (I know: but we don't!). Also, Henderson will make lots of money someday. How do you stop someone who can catch the ball, jump real high and shoot, all in one second flat? He was shooting NBA 3s too. We don't have anything to match that (yet).

I think the question is whether McRae can be more effective as a scorer from the PG position or the SG position? We need his scoring. That much is obvious. Bringing the ball down usually requires him to pass it off in hopes of getting his hands on the ball again from a set play. He can't just bring it down every time and go one on one. His ball-handling isn't worlds apart better than Golden or Richardson either, so it seems like their is no net gain by making him handle the ball out front.

I agree though, that we have no PGs on this team with real high-major talent. I have said it from his freshman year, Trae Golden is not a PG. Even when he was playing well at the position, its just not natural for him and he is not a good enough ball-handler to win with at PG on a team starved for offensive talent.

Fwiw, I agree with you. It's not a lack of talent with him. It's a lack of understanding how to use and control his body. He does need to utilize his bulk to compensate for his height. Maymon is very good at this. To me, it appears Stokes is like a baby deer learning to walk. He has very little body control when he's being closely guarded.

The Maymon issue is a real issue. Stokes plays better with him in the paint than Kenny Hall, who just takes up space. However, Maymon won't always be around and Stokes needs to learn to play without him. Maybe he is learning and it is just taking him a really long time to learn.

I've said it before and I really mean it. Stokes needs specific training. Running around like a rock star last summer globe trotting did nothing for his development. If he wants to commit himself he needs to spend this summer in big man camps learning how to use his frame and improve his footwork. He has the potential to be a special player but it just looks like a wasted opportunity so far.

Cuonzo made some really stupid coaching decisions last night that most high school know better than to make.

1. When you have one primary scorer, Jordan McRae, you don't assign him to the other team's primary scorer in man to man or he will lose his legs chasing him around the court. Lose your legs, lose your shot. Missed his last 2 FTs.

2. McBee should go ahead and sign on as a GA. His career is over. He's a broken player. Why Martin continues to put him on the court to embarrass himself is unexplainable.

3. Trae is also a broken player. This is on Cuonzo. Trae is a bulldog with the basketball, kinda like a rb with the basketball. He's not a passer, doesn't see the court well, and Cuonzo is trying to make him do it. He loses the focus needed to attack the basket and his confidence is destroyed.

VN Store

Back