The Official Tennessee @ #23 Ole Miss Game Thread, 7:00pm ET (1/24/13), ESPN2

YankeeVol

To some, war is hell. To us, it’s sanctuary.
Tennessee Volunteers: 9-7 (1-3)

Tennessee_Basketball_Logo_Pratt_1___t588.jpg

@

Ole Miss Rebels: 15-2 (4-0 SEC)

OleMiss.jpg

7:00 PM ET, January 24, 2013
C.M. 'Tad' Smith Coliseum, Oxford, MS

Coverage: ESPN2/WatchESPN
Listen: University of Tennessee Official Athletic Site

Line: UT +8.5
O/U: 139.5

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Why are we playing them twice. What did I miss. Play all east division teams twice and west division once, no?

Why are we playing them twice. What did I miss. Play all east division teams twice and west division once, no?

There are no divisions anymore. Once Mizzou and A & M were added, they did away with the divisions. UT will play Vandy and Ky twice every year because they're our main rivals. Other teams will rotate. We play Ole Miss and Bama twice this year. We only play Fla and USCjr once.

There are no divisions anymore. Once Mizzou and A & M were added, they did away with the divisions. UT will play Vandy and Ky twice every year because they're our main rivals. Other teams will rotate. We play Ole Miss and Bama twice this year. We only play Fla and USCjr once.

Thanks. I haven't even looked at the schedule or anything.

There aren't any east and west teams anymore in basketball. Thankfully they got rid of it because I remember one year UT was 3rd in the SEC behind UK and UF and they didn't get a bye in the SEC tourney, while some crappy west teams did.

Thanks. I haven't even looked at the schedule or anything.

I don't think adding Mizzou and A & M was the main reason they decided to do away with the divisions. It was just convenient to do it now.

Coaches from the East complained a few years ago that there were teams from the East that deserved to be seeded higher when almost the entire West division was 8-8. Some East teams got jobbed out of seeding in the SEC tourney when they had a better SEC record so they decided to make it one large conference. Teams still aren't playing everyone twice. UT and Vandy are guaranteed to have to play Ky twice so that automatically makes their schedule tougher than everyone else's schedule most years.

Even though we usually have good success against Fla, I thinked we picked a good year to only play them once and we get them at home. Not getting to play USCjr twice though is the trade off.

There are also 18 games in conference play vs. 16 since the divisional split.

We don't play KY twice every year, only Vandy do we play twice every year as our main rival.

Bama, Ole Miss, Kentucky and Georgia are our home/away games this year plus main rival Vandy. That's 10 games against 5 teams, and leaves 8 teams to play the other 8 games against.

Let's hope last game was a sign trae is turning his play back around, believe he had 9 assists and only 2 TOs, would like to see his shot start falling again soon though.

The key may be summers and who guards him, mcbee/ golden/ Moore and if any of them can shut/slow him down. Richardson will draw Henderson and he shut him down last game, but summers got going so we switched Richardson onto summers. That's when Henderson went off, had Mcbee & Golden on him.

Holloway will also give us trouble, always seems to, but please for the love of god make the guy go right...he's very left hand heavy. Need our posts to play well, Jarnell having double digits rebounds and another good rebounding effort from Moore would be huge.

As always with this team, we have to limit our TOs, somewhere south of 12 would be nice, hitting our FTs and getting FTA will also be big...got outscored by about 30 at the line last game against them.

Optimistic prediction: Vols 76-68

**i see the score being around that win or lose**

This could be a big win. Ole Miss is 14-2 and if we manage to win this and go on a really good streak the selection committee will look back at this game and see this is where we turned our season around.

Beating a team later in the season at their place that you lost to at home is big.

On Marshall Henderson:
"We feel like if we stop him from scoring the ball, we won't have to worry about his mouth or any of his antics," said UT sophomore forward Jarnell Stokes. "We just have to stop him."
Payback won't come cheap for Tennessee.

If anything, Henderson will do all he can to assure of it.

"We expect it this time," Stokes said. "We expect him to run his mouth. He's definitely put more pressure on himself by doing a lot talking, being one of the guys people don't like in the SEC. Guys really want to defend him."

Sounds like Henderson is quite the cock!

On Marshall Henderson:

Sounds like Henderson is quite the cock!

He is but Stokes just needs to play. He won't be guarding him and only half assed his way out to defend him when we went zone last time. I don't think Stokes has played at Ole Miss before either. It's about to get rowdy in there again if not already.

VN Store

Back