The Mississippi State Postgame Report

zjcvols

"On a Tennessee saturday night."
Staff member
1. I don't care who you play, it's always nice to get the first SEC win of the season and to break a four game losing streak. UT came out with a lot of energy and can take away a lot of positives from today's game.

2. I thought Trae played a very nice game and a really good comeback game. He got in the lane and really did a great job finding the open man. I think he earned himself his starting spot back tonight. Nine assists to only two turnovers and 50% shooting. You take all day every day.

3. Jarnell Stokes played well, but I thought there was actually an effort to get him involved today. He looked in the game from the first minute on and played with great effort. I thought his defense was fantastic. He affected around ten shots with his size and footwork today. He also was great on the glass.

4. UT's offense was good today and I really felt like they had a mindset to attack the paint. I know it seems like I say it all the time, but good things come when you attack the lane. UT got seven three pointers today and 42 points in the paint. They had the advantage and took it.

5. Bernard King Player of the Game: It's easy to go with Golden or Stokes, but I'm going to go with Armani Moore. He makes "impact" plays. He made a couple today. The block on Steele, who was not the same after the play. He made a great assist that got Jarnell an and-1 play. He got a big putback in the second half when the game was starting to get close. He also grabbed 11 boards...for a 6'4 guard! He had four assists, and even though he only had four points, how about three steals and zero turnovers? Armani earned his scholarship today. He played great.

6. If I was Martin, I would start Reese over Hall. I don't have any stats to prove my point, but Stokes played better when Reese was in (or any four guard lineup that CCM used) because Hall's lack of offensive awareness just kills Jarnell. He doesn't get the space he needs and Hall clogs the lane unnecessarily. Reese helps spreads the floor, and he works very hard on D, with his length and athleticism making up for his skinny frame.

7. UT did a much better job protecting the ball. In about the first eight minutes, they had five turnovers and only had six the rest of the way. Hopefully it's a turn for good.

8. I'm not the coach, but I hope Martin embraces the small ball lineup. No offense to Hall, but he just isn't serving much of a purpose for UT right now. I would played Edwards over Hall as a four (with Reese) and use Hall when UT is in foul trouble. The offense runs more efficiently and opens the floor for not only Stokes, but drivers such as Richardson and McRae.

9. The defense played better, although Mississippi State isn't much of a scoring team. But UT did a better job fighting through screens, and I honestly think Stokes' impact on D really helped. State stopped going into the lane and UT was more aggressive. I still think UT has to figure out to create more turnovers. It's like special teams in football. When you give up special teams plays (UT turns the ball over at an alarming clip) and don't do anything with special teams (don't create turnovers) you create an incredible disadvantage. Miss State had 13 TO's tonight, but that's four less than their average.

10. Nice win. Like I said, you take this one. UT has a huge, huge opportunity Thursday. I'm talking season changing opportunity. Ole Miss is a good team, and getting a road win would really mean something. It's not a must win, but if UT wants a chance at the tourney, they really need Thursday's game.

Go Vols! :hi:

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 people
A lineup of Golden, McRae, Reese, Moore, and Stokes should be completely obvious at this point.

Edit: Forgot about Richardson.

A lineup of Golden, McRae, Reese, Moore, and Stokes should be completely obvious at this point.

Richardson should still be starting. Again, he played well. My rotation:

PG- Golden/McRae
SG- McRae/Moore
SF- Richardson/Moore
PF- Reese/Edwards
C- Stokes/Yemi

1. I don't care who you play, it's always nice to get the first SEC win of the season and to break a four game losing streak. UT came out with a lot of energy and can take away a lot of positives from today's game.

2. I thought Trae played a very nice game and a really good comeback game. He got in the lane and really did a great job finding the open man. I think he earned himself his starting spot back tonight. Nine assists to only two turnovers and 50% shooting. You take all day every day.

3. Jarnell Stokes played well, but I thought there was actually an effort to get him involved today. He looked in the game from the first minute on and played with great effort. I thought his defense was fantastic. He affected around ten shots with his size and footwork today. He also was great on the glass.

4. UT's offense was good today and I really felt like they had a mindset to attack the paint. I know it seems like I say it all the times, but good things come when you attack the lane. UT got seven three pointers today and 42 points in the paint. They had the advantage and took it.

5. Bernard King Player of the Game: It's easy to go with Golden or Stokes, but I'm going to go with Armani Moore. He makes "impact" plays. He made a couple today. The block on Steele, who was not the same on the play. He made a great assist that got Jarnell an and-1 play. He got a big putback in the second half when the game was starting to get close. He also grabbed 11 boards...for a 6'4 guard! He had four assists, and even though he only had four points, how about three steals and zero turnovers? Armani earned his scholarship today. He played great.

6. If I was Martin, I would start Reese over Hall. I don't have any stats to prove my point, but Stokes played better when Reese was in (or any four guard lineup that CCM used) because Hall's lack of offensive awareness just kills Jarnell. He doesn't get the space he needs and Hall clogs the lane unnecessarily. Reese helps spreads the floor, and he works very hard on D, with his length and athleticism making up for his skinny frame.

7. UT did a much better job protecting the ball. In about the first eight minutes, they had five turnovers and only had six the rest of the way. Hopefully it's a turn for good.

8. I'm not the coach, but I hope Martin embraces the small ball lineup. No offense to Hall, but he just isn't serving much of a purpose for UT right now. I would played Edwards over Hall as a four (with Reese) and use Hall when UT is in foul trouble. The offense runs more efficiently and opens the floor for not only Stokes, but drivers such as Richardson and McRae.

9. The defense played better, although Mississippi State isn't much of a scoring team. But UT did a better job fighting through screens, and I honestly think Stokes' impact on D really helped. State stopped going into the lane and UT was more aggressive. I still think UT has to figure out to create more turnovers. It's like special teams in football. When you give up special teams plays (UT turns the ball over at an alarming clip) and don't do anything with special teams (don't create turnovers) you create an incredible disadvantage. Miss State had 13 TO's tonight, but that's four less than their average.

10. Nice win. Like I said, you take this one. UT has a huge, huge opportunity Thursday. I'm talking season changing opportunity. Ole Miss is a good team, and getting a road win would really mean something. It's not a must win, but if UT wants a chance at the tourney, they really need Thursday's game.

I agree with you on Reese for Hall.

Reactions: 1 person

PG- Golden/McRae
SG- McRae/Moore
SF- Richardson/Moore
PF- Reese/Edwards
C- Stokes/Yemi

This is what it needs to be. Hall and McBrick should barely sniff the floor

PG- Golden/McRae
SG- McRae/Moore
SF- Richardson/Moore
PF- Reese/Edwards
C- Stokes/Yemi
Yeah I forgot about Josh. He stepped up today. Made his free throws as well. :)

I agree; that would likely be our best lineup and best rotation.

Couldn't have said it about hall better, needs to see minimal minutes (same for mcbee).

If like:

Golden 30/ McRae 10
McRae 5/ Moore 25/ Mcbee 10
Richardson 20/ McRae 20
Reese 25/ Richardson 15
Stokes 30/ yemi 10

Last edited:
This is what it needs to be. Hall and McBrick should barely sniff the floor

I really don't see why either are getting so much playing time, especially McBee. McBee doesn't do anything well, and is actually an atrocious shooter (with that being his calling card).

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, Wichita St. with a nice win over Creighton.

If we can somehow get on the bubble, that win may look pretty good around March.

I've been hard on him but Moore played great today, loved the hustle by this kid. Looks like he was just playing out of position playing the point. Kid can ball.

Honestly until today I didn't get all the Reese shooting praise on here. He shot the ball good today.

Glad to see Golden step up and play well. I was losing faith, like everyone else.

Now that I got my, proved me wrong players out of the way. McBee shouldn't see the court again, especially with Moore and Reese emerging. I won't say he sucks, cause he is playing D1 ball. But he just can't get it done at this level.

Nice win, lets keep it going guys.

4. UT's offense was good today and I really felt like they had a mindset to attack the paint. I know it seems like I say it all the time, but good things come when you attack the lane. UT got seven three pointers today and 42 points in the paint. They had the advantage and took it.

5. Bernard King Player of the Game: It's easy to go with Golden or Stokes, but I'm going to go with Armani Moore. He makes "impact" plays. He made a couple today. The block on Steele, who was not the same after the play. He made a great assist that got Jarnell an and-1 play. He got a big putback in the second half when the game was starting to get close. He also grabbed 11 boards...for a 6'4 guard! He had four assists, and even though he only had four points, how about three steals and zero turnovers? Armani earned his scholarship today. He played great.

#6. Winner, Winner, Chicken Dinner. You are so right about Hall closing the lane for Jarnell!!!

Reactions: 1 person
I've been hard on him but Moore played great today, loved the hustle by this kid. Looks like he was just playing out of position playing the point. Kid can ball.

Honestly until today I didn't get all the Reese shooting praise on here. He shot the ball good today.

Glad to see Golden step up and play well. I was losing faith, like everyone else.

Now that I got my, proved me wrong players out of the way. McBee shouldn't see the court again, especially with Moore and Reese emerging. I won't say he sucks, cause he is playing D1 ball. But he just can't get it done at this level.

Nice win, lets keep it going guys.

Armani Moore reminds me of Avery Bradley from Texas and nows plays for the Boston Celtics in this sense: He isn't a point guard. He's isn't a shooting guard. He's just a guard. You just tell Armani to go out and play his ass off and don't worry about stuff like initiating the offense or give him a specific role.

Reactions: 2 people
Couldn't have said it about hall better, needs to see minimal minutes (same for mcbee).

If like:

Golden 30/ McRae 10
Moore 25/ Mcbee 15
Richardson 20/ McRae 20
Reese 25/ Richardson 15
Stokes 30/ yemi 10

I've liked Moore the past couple games. But bench McRae? I haven't liked Moore that much.

Armani Moore reminds me of Avery Bradley from Texas and nows plays for the Boston Celtics in this sense: He isn't a point guard. He's isn't a shooting guard. He's just a guard. You just tell Armani to go out and play his ass off and don't worry about stuff like initiating the offense or give him a specific role.

I agree 100% my problem with him running the point was his handle scared me. I'm glad they stopped that experiment and just started letting him play. I'm really becoming a fan of the way the kid plays.

Much better game from this team today. Very impressed by Armani Moore. Hustle and grit in doing the little stuff and being aggressive on the boards.

I will say Moore is quickly changing what I thought of him. Just cutting him loose was a wise decision.

CCM seems to have cut guys loose a bit...McRae, Moore, Reese and Richardson really come to mind. Think it's no coincidence over the last 5 games we're averaging about 72ppg, and against good competition.

McBee had 27 minutes. In the future we may see Moore taking some of those minutes.

VN Store

Back