2013 TN PG Darius Thompson

bleedingTNorange

Darius Thompson

Darius Thompson - Yahoo! Sports

"Regardless of the reason, it's becoming clear that the Vols are looking to add point guard help in the late period. Towards that end efforts towards recruiting Murfessboro's Darius Thompson have ratcheted up lately.

Cuonzo Martin visited with Thompson and his family on Wednesday this week and Thompson is now holding a firm offer from Tennessee.

Unfortunately for the Vols, Thompson is no longer such a sleeper that they can expect to sweep in and nab him with no competition. Vanderbilt, NC State and Texas A&M have all offered in the last two weeks, and he other high majors are sniffing around as well.

Tennessee is hopeful of getting Thompson on campus this weekend for an unofficial visit, but right now he's trying to work out some transportation issues.

In any event, look for that one to end up being a Tennessee and Vanderbilt battle. Vandy got a little head start with a slightly earlier offer and they've already gotten Thompson on campus. Tennessee was in the home on Wednesday and from what we've gathered, have made up some ground and will get a serious look from Thompson.

NC State and Texas A&M have also been in to see Thompson recently and both programs extended offers immediately after evaluating him."

I wonder if they'd sign this guy AND Owootoah?

Darius Thompson

Darius Thompson - Yahoo! Sports

"Regardless of the reason, it's becoming clear that the Vols are looking to add point guard help in the late period. Towards that end efforts towards recruiting Murfessboro's Darius Thompson have ratcheted up lately.

Cuonzo Martin visited with Thompson and his family on Wednesday this week and Thompson is now holding a firm offer from Tennessee.

Unfortunately for the Vols, Thompson is no longer such a sleeper that they can expect to sweep in and nab him with no competition. Vanderbilt, NC State and Texas A&M have all offered in the last two weeks, and he other high majors are sniffing around as well.

Tennessee is hopeful of getting Thompson on campus this weekend for an unofficial visit, but right now he's trying to work out some transportation issues.

In any event, look for that one to end up being a Tennessee and Vanderbilt battle. Vandy got a little head start with a slightly earlier offer and they've already gotten Thompson on campus. Tennessee was in the home on Wednesday and from what we've gathered, have made up some ground and will get a serious look from Thompson.

NC State and Texas A&M have also been in to see Thompson recently and both programs extended offers immediately after evaluating him."

I feel like people on this board wand Russell Westbrook or John Wall speed, or it's bust.

Reactions: 1 person
He looks ok. But he does not fill our need for quickness. He looks like a good ball handler but has average quickness. I have not seen much video on him so I could be wrong. I hope I am. Here is the Video from youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmNoYJ5Ug-Y

Yea I posted the same video and had the quickness questions at that same time. A couple things though...that video was against Memphis East, no scrub team so decent quickness against them is better than against say a local high school. Also, that video is a year old, at that time he had no high major offers iirc. What he has done his senior year is what has earned him offers from Vandy, A&M, NC STATE, UT etc....he's apparently progressed and really improved a lot.

You're not gonna have a lot of PGs you can find this late in the game and get in on, so this may be our best option (or Owootoah).

I coach basketball in Rutherford County. I have seen him play a number of times. He is a tremendous basketball player. Very skilled. Very smart player. High basketball IQ. Good vision as a passer. Good athlete, with good size for the PG position. He is, however, not an elite athlete. Does not mean he wont succeed. Just letting you know what to expect when you see him.

I coach basketball in Rutherford County. I have seen him play a number of times. He is a tremendous basketball player. Very skilled. Very smart player. High basketball IQ. Good vision as a passer. Good athlete, with good size for the PG position. He is, however, not an elite athlete. Does not mean he wont succeed. Just letting you know what to expect when you see him.

That's what I saw, which concerns me a bit. He can jump, had a sick outback slam the other night I saw, but his quickness is my primary concern. Can he get into that paint to create for others? Is he quick enough to stay infront of other teams "quick" guards?

I will say, and you mention it, I've heard tremendous things in regards to his vision and passing which excites me.

That's what I saw, which concerns me a bit. He can jump, had a sick outback slam the other night I saw, but his quickness is my primary concern. Can he get into that paint to create for others? Is he quick enough to stay infront of other teams "quick" guards?

I will say, and you mention it, I've heard tremendous things in regards to his vision and passing which excites me.

I think most anyone is quicker than Trae, so he can't be worse. He may not be able to stay with Joe Jackson, but we don't have to worry about him. Just play with most of the guards in the SEC, and he will be fine.

If Butler wants him then he must have a pretty good Bball IQ. Much needed for a point player, which the Vols don't have. Folks this staff knows what this team needs to have to be successful. Just a matter of getting the recruits here. CCM is only in his second season and just half way at that.

VN Store

Back