582 users online now!    CONTACT US | ADVERTISE | REGISTER       

About this Page -- This is a discussion on Things Could Get Better Page 3. within the forum Tennessee Vols Basketball. Originally Posted by seaofORANGE22 We were down right dominating offenses early in the year. Not really. Our points per possession ...

Go Back   VolNation > Tennessee Vols Forums > Tennessee Vols Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2013, 02:28 PM   #31 (permalink)
Against the Grain

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaofORANGE22 View Post
We were down right dominating offenses early in the year.
Not really. Our points per possession ranked at the bottom in the league. The reason our PPG allowed was low was slowing the game down and limiting possiessions for the other team.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-17-2013, 02:43 PM   #32 (permalink)
Eats a lot of peaches

Quote:
Originally Posted by UT IE 95 View Post
I don't get these points from the OP:

1. Super young team. - How many freshmen do we start?
2. We replace least productive players McBee and Hall next season. - Why not replace them now?
3. It feels like we are slowly growing. - What is the team growth? We're on a 4 game losing streak?
1. I'm talking about contributors. There are freshmen playing big minutes on this team. Our two worst contributors are seniors. That shouldn't be the case.
2. With who? Chievous? Rob Murphy? Stokes spends the whole game in foul trouble and with Maymon and Miller out Hall is still the best option. I think McBee is somebody that is just going to play. He hustles and gives the effort that Cuonzo wants on the defensive end, and there's always a chance of him getting hot from three.
3. We also won 4 in a row right before that. And the last 4 losses are to some pretty good teams, besides maybe Alabama, but that's not even my point. We're not very good right now. I realize that. I'm not trying to convince you that we are. I am trying to look at the team as a process. As a foundation for the next couple of seasons. These freshmen, sophomores and juniors will most likely all be back next year. Chances are some of them will improve. Chances are some of them will improve throughout the rest of this season. I still like watching them play. I just don't see this as an all or nothing year. I am giving Coach Martin some slack and a chance to struggle. Next year should be better. If not, we can figure it out then.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-17-2013, 02:45 PM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
If they are the least productive players, per the OP, they should be replaced with anyone on the bench - it couldn't get worse.

And McBee played more than a quarter of the game minutes.
So you're saying Armani Moore=Robert Hubbs and Derek Reese=Jeronne Maymon??

The point the OP I believe is trying to make, is that the guys we have coming in to replace those players are much more talented. Instead of benching unproductive Mcbee for say Armani, we'll have Hubbs playing there instead, big upgrade. And instead of a Derek Reese replacing hall, you'll have an all-sec performer in Maymon instead.

I don't expect you to see the positive side of it, but that's 2 upgrades to our lineup that really can't be argued.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-17-2013, 02:46 PM   #34 (permalink)
Eats a lot of peaches

Quote:
If they are the least productive players, per the OP, they should be replaced with anyone on the bench - it couldn't get worse.

And McBee played more than a quarter of the game minutes.
I said the least productive player that contributes. What, do you think Stockton and Malone are sitting on our bench?
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-17-2013, 02:46 PM   #35 (permalink)

I have a hard time understanding the seemingly relentless optimism some people still seem to possess, but those who do seem to be the same folks that thought this was a sweet 16 team.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-17-2013, 02:47 PM   #36 (permalink)
Raise a lil hell...

If we start losing to the dregs of the SEC then I'll be more than concerned. We had a chance to win at Bama and at Ky. Poor guard play down the stretch in both games doomed us. We need some kind of lead to win those type of games because I don't have a lot of confidence that our guards are going to pull it out in a close game.

If we lose this weekend to a bad Miss St team at home then everyone should be concerned.
VN Likes: 1
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-17-2013, 02:49 PM   #37 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyb712 View Post
we will br 9-7 in sec
we will be below 500 the worse is has not came yet.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-17-2013, 02:52 PM   #38 (permalink)

Quote:
1. I'm talking about contributors. There are freshmen playing big minutes on this team. Our two worst contributors are seniors. That shouldn't be the case.
2. With who? Chievous? Rob Murphy? Stokes spends the whole game in foul trouble and with Maymon and Miller out Hall is still the best option. I think McBee is somebody that is just going to play. He hustles and gives the effort that Cuonzo wants on the defensive end, and there's always a chance of him getting hot from three.
3. We also won 4 in a row right before that. And the last 4 losses are to some pretty good teams, besides maybe Alabama, but that's not even my point. We're not very good right now. I realize that. I'm not trying to convince you that we are. I am trying to look at the team as a process. As a foundation for the next couple of seasons. These freshmen, sophomores and juniors will most likely all be back next year. Chances are some of them will improve. Chances are some of them will improve throughout the rest of this season. I still like watching them play. I just don't see this as an all or nothing year. I am giving Coach Martin some slack and a chance to struggle. Next year should be better. If not, we can figure it out then.
I get tired of building foundation when are we going to start laying the brick that builds the building.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-17-2013, 02:53 PM   #39 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrypedigo View Post
If this was competent it still would be wrong.
VN Likes: 2
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-17-2013, 02:55 PM   #40 (permalink)
Raise a lil hell...

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrypedigo View Post
Maybe you need to check the SEC schedule and see who we've played and have yet to play before making that kind of statement.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-17-2013, 02:58 PM   #41 (permalink)
Eats a lot of peaches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Instant_Offense View Post
I have a hard time understanding the seemingly relentless optimism some people still seem to possess, but those who do seem to be the same folks that thought this was a sweet 16 team.
Weird, I have a hard time understanding the seemingly relentless pessimism. I mean, this is sports. We do want the team to win. I love Tennessee. I love seeing the best in our players that wear orange.

The thing is, I can see the path we could take in which things could go our way, in anything. If this one thing were to happen... This one outcome would be the result. Do we always go down the right path? No. Lately, neither our basketball or football teams seem to able to find that right path. But sometimes they do. That's what keeps me watching games, and keeps the games fun. It also keeps me from being a miserable POS when it comes to talking about my teams.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-17-2013, 03:01 PM   #42 (permalink)
Raise a lil hell...

Quote:
Weird, I have a hard time understanding the seemingly relentless pessimism. I mean, this is sports. We do want the team to win. I love Tennessee. I love seeing the best in our players that wear orange.

The thing is, I can see the path we could take in which things could go our way, in anything. If this one thing were to happen... This one outcome would be the result. Do we always go down the right path? No. Lately, neither our basketball or football teams seem to able to find that right path. But sometimes they do. That's what keeps me watching games, and keeps the games fun. It also keeps me from being a miserable POS when it comes to talking about my teams.
You must've not been around here very long. Johnny Majors didn't call them the Legions of the Miserable for nuttin'.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-17-2013, 03:02 PM   #43 (permalink)
Eats a lot of peaches

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBalls View Post
You must've not been around here very long. Johnny Majors didn't call them the Legions of the Miserable for nuttin'.
No I get it. I just wanted wanted to make my stance known.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-17-2013, 03:05 PM   #44 (permalink)

Quote:

I have been a 76er fan as long as I can remember and pay for the NBA package to watch them lose 3-4 nights a week......my optimism died when I was trying to convince myself shawn Bradley was going to be a player. LOL
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-17-2013, 03:11 PM   #45 (permalink)
Eats a lot of peaches

Quote:
Originally Posted by volbeast33 View Post
I have been a 76er fan as long as I can remember and pay for the NBA package to watch them lose 3-4 nights a week......my optimism died when I was trying to convince myself shawn Bradley was going to be a player. LOL
Haha. I could see that sucking the life out of somebody.

In actuality I'm probably not even that optimistic, especially while I'm watching games. I like to give myself some glimmer of hope, or else why pay attention? But the reaction around here is so extreme sometimes that I end up falling on the just-as-extreme-super-positive side just because I still have fun watching them and I don't want to fire Cuonzo Martin yet.
Reply With Quote TOP