2762 users online now!    CONTACT US | ADVERTISE | REGISTER       

About this Page -- This is a discussion on Review of film for flagrant foul Page 2. within the forum Tennessee Vols Basketball. Originally Posted by OrangeBalls The calls last night is pussifying the game. Because players know they can draw flagrant 1's ...

Go Back   VolNation > Tennessee Vols Forums > Tennessee Vols Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2013, 02:39 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBalls View Post
The calls last night is pussifying the game. Because players know they can draw flagrant 1's now, they body up right next to them hoping they catch a glancing elbow. I've seen harder contact in a damn middle school game. If they're going to allow the defender to crowd the ball handler especially as he's making his move then they need to readdress the dumb rule.

What pissed me off is that Cal got the refs to stop play and review something they didn't see and I doubt you'd ever see Martin do that. He needs to work the officials more.
He does need to work them more. I just don't think its his personality. I'm not sure he has much personality. Did you hear his interview during the timeout? Geez. Talk about stale. I don't know what he sells kids and parents on in the living room, but it sure isn't his charm and wit. He seems sub-Saharan dry to me every time I hear him speak.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-16-2013, 02:43 PM   #17 (permalink)
Raise a lil hell...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cncchris33 View Post
He does need to work them more. I just don't think its his personality. I'm not sure he has much personality. Did you hear his interview during the timeout? Geez. Talk about stale. I don't know what he sells kids and parents on in the living room, but it sure isn't his charm and wit. He seems sub-Saharan dry to me every time I hear him speak.
I think he's very down to earth and seems shy by nature. He seems to always have his guard up and probably only lets certain people really get to know him. He's such a contrast to Pearl that it is taking awhile to get used to him.

He's still learning on the job. This year has tested him as a coach with the injuries. You find out more and more about a coach after roster and staff changes. You have to evolve or you'll get left behind. He needs to do well next year for his own sake or the buzzards will be out in full force.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-16-2013, 02:44 PM   #18 (permalink)

I didn't get how the foul coil was reversed. It was on Harrow, instead after review a flagrant 1 and personal foul were on mcbee. Didn't think you were able to reverse that.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-16-2013, 02:48 PM   #19 (permalink)
Raise a lil hell...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedingTNorange View Post
I didn't get how the foul coil was reversed. It was on Harrow, instead after review a flagrant 1 and personal foul were on mcbee. Didn't think you were able to reverse that.
I think Harrow still got the personal foul, but the flagrant overrules the regular foul so that is why they got 2 shots and the ball back. That turned the game in Ky's favor. We went from being up 3 to down by 6.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-16-2013, 02:56 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBalls View Post
I think Harrow still got the personal foul, but the flagrant overrules the regular foul so that is why they got 2 shots and the ball back. That turned the game in Ky's favor. We went from being up 3 to down by 6.
You sure? I may be wrong, but thought Mcbee only had 1 and that gave him 3.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-16-2013, 03:13 PM   #21 (permalink)
Raise a lil hell...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedingTNorange View Post
You sure? I may be wrong, but thought Mcbee only had 1 and that gave him 3.
I thought I heard Nessler say that Harrow still got a personal.

I checked the play-by-play and they had Harrow with a foul. I'll see if I can cut and paste it and see what it looks like.

FOUL by Harrow, Ryan (P1T3) 08:13
08:13 FOUL by McBee, Skylar (P2T2)
SUB IN : Mays, Julius 08:13 SUB IN : Moore, Armani
SUB OUT: Poythress, Alex 08:13 SUB IN : Golden, Trae
08:13 SUB OUT: McBee, Skylar
08:13 SUB OUT: Reese, Derek
GOOD! FT SHOT by Harrow, Ryan 08:12 21-19 H 2
MISSED FT SHOT by Harrow, Ryan 08:11

UTSPORTS.COM - University of Tennessee Athletics - Men's Basketball
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-16-2013, 03:43 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Obviously, I haven't met the man, but he isn't a ra-ra type of guy. He isn't a drama king. He was raised in a rough area, made it to the highest level, and overcame cancer. He is a fighter and demands effort and responsibility. He is charismatic in that he relates to you but wants players to work- not in the way Pearl was with the media and public.

He really can relate to most player's situations. It really doesn't matter as long as we win games.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-16-2013, 04:46 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
The one thing I don't like about the rule is the retroactive nature of it. In the McBee case, a foul was called on Harrow prior to the review. It should have been Tennessee's ball side court. Instead, they reviewed the play and awarded UK two shots and the ball. So, in that instance, it cost Tennessee a possession.

In the Mays incident, a foul was immediately called on Mays, the play was reviewed and Tennessee shot two foul shots and was given possession, which they had already been awarded by virtue of the foul call on Mays.

I think the rule should be changed to return possession to the flow of the game, especially if the play is reviewed retroactively. In other words, after they reviewed McBee's elbow, UK should have gotten to shoot two FTs, but possession should have returned to Tennessee because it was our ball when play was stopped to review by virtue of the foul call on Harrow.
So next time Mcbee should just intentionally knock the hell out of him, didn't win anyway!!
VN Likes: 1
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-16-2013, 04:47 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancient Reptile View Post
This must be MOM so I apologize in advance, but I can't find it on the board. Last night in the UK game, according to the tv announcers, a UT player with the ball swung it side-to-side and passed. A moment later a different foul was called. Calipari claimed a swinging the elbows foul and the officials reviewed the tape, agreed with Calipari, and awarded the flagrant foul. My question is: When can a coach request a review of the tape for a foul and are the refs compelled to grant the request?

Again, sorry if this is covered elsewhere; just point me to it.
Short & simple, Kentucky gets what Kentucky wants from the refs in the SEC. They're either scared of them or the SEC is scared Ky won't make the tournament.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-16-2013, 04:52 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by volboy81 View Post
Short & simple, Kentucky gets what Kentucky wants from the refs in the SEC. They're either scared of them or the SEC is scared Ky won't make the tournament.
I think I heard on radio that in the history of UK basketball, the longest stretch without making the NCAAT is 3 years. They were on probation the first 2, and Pitino didn't his first year. So, basically, 3 years and they couldn't even go for 2 of those.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-16-2013, 06:27 PM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by volboy81 View Post
Guess that is why I posted. UK BB seems to always get the close calls, but Vol posters seem down with this one, so I guess it is legit. Rules were different in the ancient days, but in similar situations I thought the defenders face didn't belong where I legitimately needed to swing the ball around. I guess if the offensive guy folded his elbow and hit the defensive guy in the face with ball (instead of an elbow), he still gets the flagrant foul.
Reply With Quote TOP