knowing what you do know now... knowing what you do know now...  
1937 users online now!    CONTACT US | ADVERTISE | REGISTER       

About this Page -- This is a discussion on knowing what you do know now.... within the forum Tennessee Vols Basketball. ...

Go Back   VolNation > >

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2013, 12:13 AM   #1
volmancagle17
Senior Member
 
volmancagle17's Avatar

knowing what you do know now... knowing what you do know now... knowing what you do know now...
Join Date: Nov 2009
knowing what you do know now... knowing what you do know now... knowing what you do know now... knowing what you do know now... knowing what you do know now... knowing what you do know now...
Location: indiana
Posts: 610
Likes: 87
knowing what you do know now...

Is zo closer to being fired or to being extended?

As a pearl supporter, its easy to see a huge difference in styles on both offense and defense. Offensively, this team is hard to watch. This is a good defensive team, but I worry that this style is losing supporters, that along with his inability to adjust in game and progress players skill sets.

Hes a good recruiter, but having 7 losses this early in year two scares me..

On a side note i was wondering is hubbs signed or just committed? Worries me that.he want out of his loi after seeing us stink it up.
volmancagle17 is offline  
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-16-2013, 03:16 AM   #2
Special Ed
Massive Member
 
Special Ed's Avatar

knowing what you do know now... knowing what you do know now... knowing what you do know now...
Join Date: Sep 2008
knowing what you do know now... knowing what you do know now... knowing what you do know now... knowing what you do know now... knowing what you do know now... knowing what you do know now... knowing what you do know now...
Location: Adrift off the Islets of Langerhans
Posts: 8,058
Likes: 6,257
Don't know if 'zo can pull his head out of his fundament and get the ship righted before the end of this season but, even at his worst, Bruce never had us tied for last place in the conference.
Special Ed is offline  
VN Likes: 2
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-16-2013, 03:38 AM   #3
EricberryFAN
Brick by Brick
 
EricberryFAN's Avatar

knowing what you do know now... knowing what you do know now... knowing what you do know now...
Join Date: Apr 2009
knowing what you do know now... knowing what you do know now... knowing what you do know now... knowing what you do know now... knowing what you do know now... knowing what you do know now... knowing what you do know now...
Location: Kingsport,TN
Posts: 4,619
Likes: 2,690
He's got dudes air mailing free throws.
Give him a couple years to get his recruits in here. He's a good coach or we wouldn't even be hanging around in the games.
EricberryFAN is offline  
VN Likes: 2
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-16-2013, 03:38 AM   #4
EricberryFAN
Brick by Brick
 
EricberryFAN's Avatar

knowing what you do know now... knowing what you do know now... knowing what you do know now...
Join Date: Apr 2009
knowing what you do know now... knowing what you do know now... knowing what you do know now... knowing what you do know now... knowing what you do know now... knowing what you do know now... knowing what you do know now...
Location: Kingsport,TN
Posts: 4,619
Likes: 2,690
He's got dudes air mailing free throws.
Give him a couple years to get his recruits in here. He's a good coach or we wouldn't even be hanging around in the games.
EricberryFAN is offline  
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-16-2013, 04:23 AM   #5
ScornedPapaVol
Starships & Rockets
 
ScornedPapaVol's Avatar

knowing what you do know now... knowing what you do know now... knowing what you do know now...
Join Date: Aug 2009
knowing what you do know now... knowing what you do know now... knowing what you do know now... knowing what you do know now... knowing what you do know now... knowing what you do know now...
Location: The Kilauea Shield
Posts: 11,069
Likes: 3,444
You can say that again....
ScornedPapaVol is offline  
VN Likes: 3
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-16-2013, 04:41 AM   #6
Vols4ever
I bleed ORANGE !!!
 
Vols4ever's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2007
knowing what you do know now... knowing what you do know now... knowing what you do know now... knowing what you do know now... knowing what you do know now... knowing what you do know now... knowing what you do know now... knowing what you do know now...
Location: Brunswick GA
Posts: 3,877
Likes: 1,319
Not giving excuses but he is without his top player in Maymon and also have some top recruits committed for next year. Too early to even be talking about this.
__________________


watch out for the VOLS
Vols4ever is offline  
VN Likes: 1
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-16-2013, 06:30 AM   #7
bleedingTNorange
Senior Member
 
bleedingTNorange's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2012
knowing what you do know now... knowing what you do know now... knowing what you do know now... knowing what you do know now...
Posts: 48,148
Likes: 11,539
Quote:
Originally Posted by volmancagle17 View Post
Is zo closer to being fired or to being extended?

As a pearl supporter, its easy to see a huge difference in styles on both offense and defense. Offensively, this team is hard to watch. This is a good defensive team, but I worry that this style is losing supporters, that along with his inability to adjust in game and progress players skill sets.

Hes a good recruiter, but having 7 losses this early in year two scares me..

On a side note i was wondering is hubbs signed or just committed? Worries me that.he want out of his loi after seeing us stink it up.
He's probably not that close to either one. He's not getting fired anytime soon, and with the play this year hasn't warranted an extension...so it'd appear he'll continue along his current contract.

As for Hubbs he's signed and ready to get to Knoxville.
bleedingTNorange is online now  
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-16-2013, 06:36 AM   #8
Yankee_Vol
@907_Vol
 
Yankee_Vol's Avatar

knowing what you do know now... knowing what you do know now... knowing what you do know now...
Join Date: Mar 2010
knowing what you do know now... knowing what you do know now... knowing what you do know now... knowing what you do know now... knowing what you do know now... knowing what you do know now...
Location: Anchorage, AK
Posts: 83,794
Likes: 16,628
Its actually not a very good defensive team
__________________
Do or do not. There is no try.
Yankee_Vol is online now  
VN Likes: 3
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-16-2013, 06:46 AM   #9
Volhoops
Senior Member

Join Date: Dec 2010
knowing what you do know now... knowing what you do know now... knowing what you do know now... knowing what you do know now... knowing what you do know now...
Posts: 307
Likes: 168
This team needs a head coach not a sheep. Not getting a technical on the McBee foul when there was no foul called until AFTER a foul was called on a Ky player shows a strong lack of leadership in my opinion. This team plays soft because their head coach is SOFT. Recruiting isn't going to fix soft unless someone you bring in is tougher than the coach.
Volhoops is offline  
VN Likes: 2
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-16-2013, 06:51 AM   #10
1982Alum
Senior Member

knowing what you do know now... knowing what you do know now... knowing what you do know now...
Join Date: Nov 2011
knowing what you do know now... knowing what you do know now... knowing what you do know now... knowing what you do know now...
Posts: 2,187
Likes: 1,033
It would be so nice to see a UT team that actually took smart shots from the field and made them. Shooting at UT is horrid and has been even on the last Pearl teams. We just do not play smart at all.
1982Alum is offline  
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-16-2013, 06:51 AM   #11
cncchris33
Senior Member
 
cncchris33's Avatar

knowing what you do know now... knowing what you do know now...
Join Date: Nov 2009
knowing what you do know now... knowing what you do know now... knowing what you do know now... knowing what you do know now... knowing what you do know now... knowing what you do know now...
Posts: 11,361
Likes: 6,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee_Vol View Post
Its actually not a very good defensive team
This. When we take the air out of the ball and drive scores into the 50s, we give a pseudo-appearance of a good defensive team. In reality, we are among the SEC's bottom third in defensive efficiency (points per possession).

Pushing the tempo seemed like a really good idea at a time when we thought we were a good defensive team. Seeing now over the last several games (Memphis, Ole Miss, and UK in particular), we just give the other team more possessions to score by pushing the tempo. As a result, those teams scored an average of 84 points on us shooting a combined 43.4% from the field.

Not signs of a good defensive team.
cncchris33 is online now  
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-16-2013, 07:06 AM   #12
bleedingTNorange
Senior Member
 
bleedingTNorange's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2012
knowing what you do know now... knowing what you do know now... knowing what you do know now... knowing what you do know now...
Posts: 48,148
Likes: 11,539
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncchris33 View Post
This. When we take the air out of the ball and drive scores into the 50s, we give a pseudo-appearance of a good defensive team. In reality, we are among the SEC's bottom third in defensive efficiency (points per possession).

Pushing the tempo seemed like a really good idea at a time when we thought we were a good defensive team. Seeing now over the last several games (Memphis, Ole Miss, and UK in particular), we just give the other team more possessions to score by pushing the tempo. As a result, those teams scored an average of 84 points on us shooting a combined 43.4% from the field.

Not signs of a good defensive team.
I mentioned that as my concern about pushing the tempo awhile ago, and many thought the D would translate, but it's gotten worse.

I think our D was better when we were playing slower, I remember holding teams at or under 40% from the field, now it's consistently over 45% from the field. Our perimeter D was also good, now teams are shooting 30, 40 even 50 percent from deep. That's a direct result IMO of our transition D and losin mg guys.

I've been saying it for a week or so now...what do you do? Play fast our D suffers, but Jordy has flourished and we're scoring better. Slow it down and our D is better, but you hamstring a lot of our offensive guys. IMO its a fine line, and where a good PG would help right now. We need to push, but only certain spots, we can't let it effect our defense...we still need teams to play half court offense against us.
bleedingTNorange is online now  
VN Likes: 1
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-16-2013, 07:15 AM   #13
germanicus
Senior Member

Join Date: Dec 2009
knowing what you do know now... knowing what you do know now... knowing what you do know now... knowing what you do know now... knowing what you do know now... knowing what you do know now...
Posts: 1,511
Likes: 303
To your earlier comment, you are exactly right on Cuonzo not being close to being fired, but not anywhere near an extension.

As for the quote below, you are correct on the team needing to pick it's spots to run. However, I'm not sure a PG is the whole problem there. I think Coach Martin isn't giving them any leadership on the offensive end. Remember that quote earlier about how "If they want to push the ball, I'm okay with that." That was just a really passive thing for a coach to say. A coach at this level can't let the players dictate the offense. He can give them freedom within the offense, but he can't let them choose the basic framework. I think these guys, especially Trae and Stokes, are suffering from a lack of direction on the offensive end. Some guys, like Jordan and Josh, who can flourish in the running game, are benefitting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedingTNorange View Post
I mentioned that as my concern about pushing the tempo awhile ago, and many thought the D would translate, but it's gotten worse.

I think our D was better when we were playing slower, I remember holding teams at or under 40% from the field, now it's consistently over 45% from the field. Our perimeter D was also good, now teams are shooting 30, 40 even 50 percent from deep. That's a direct result IMO of our transition D and losin mg guys.

I've been saying it for a week or so now...what do you do? Play fast our D suffers, but Jordy has flourished and we're scoring better. Slow it down and our D is better, but you hamstring a lot of our offensive guys. IMO its a fine line, and where a good PG would help right now. We need to push, but only certain spots, we can't let it effect our defense...we still need teams to play half court offense against us.
germanicus is offline  
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-16-2013, 07:26 AM   #14
JMSqb11
Senior Member
 
JMSqb11's Avatar

knowing what you do know now... knowing what you do know now... knowing what you do know now...
Join Date: May 2011
knowing what you do know now... knowing what you do know now... knowing what you do know now... knowing what you do know now... knowing what you do know now...
Location: Henderson, TN
Posts: 1,971
Likes: 936
He's trying to make us a boring big ten style team. Defense and low scoring offense. He is clearly in over his head
JMSqb11 is offline  
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-16-2013, 07:41 AM   #15
bleedingTNorange
Senior Member
 
bleedingTNorange's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2012
knowing what you do know now... knowing what you do know now... knowing what you do know now... knowing what you do know now...
Posts: 48,148
Likes: 11,539
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMSqb11 View Post
He's trying to make us a boring big ten style team. Defense and low scoring offense. He is clearly in over his head
Yea cause clearly no big 10 teams have ever won anything.
bleedingTNorange is online now  
VN Likes: 1
Reply With Quote TOP
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



knowing what you do know now...


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.