1104 users online now!    CONTACT US | ADVERTISE | REGISTER       

About this Page -- This is a discussion on knowing what you do know now.... within the forum Tennessee Vols Basketball. Is zo closer to being fired or to being extended? As a pearl supporter, its easy to see a huge ...

Go Back   VolNation > Tennessee Vols Forums > Tennessee Vols Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2013, 12:13 AM   #1 (permalink)

knowing what you do know now...

Is zo closer to being fired or to being extended?

As a pearl supporter, its easy to see a huge difference in styles on both offense and defense. Offensively, this team is hard to watch. This is a good defensive team, but I worry that this style is losing supporters, that along with his inability to adjust in game and progress players skill sets.

Hes a good recruiter, but having 7 losses this early in year two scares me..

On a side note i was wondering is hubbs signed or just committed? Worries me that.he want out of his loi after seeing us stink it up.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-16-2013, 03:16 AM   #2 (permalink)
Massive Member

Don't know if 'zo can pull his head out of his fundament and get the ship righted before the end of this season but, even at his worst, Bruce never had us tied for last place in the conference.
VN Likes: 2
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-16-2013, 03:38 AM   #3 (permalink)
Brick by Brick

He's got dudes air mailing free throws.
Give him a couple years to get his recruits in here. He's a good coach or we wouldn't even be hanging around in the games.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-16-2013, 03:38 AM   #4 (permalink)
Brick by Brick

He's got dudes air mailing free throws.
Give him a couple years to get his recruits in here. He's a good coach or we wouldn't even be hanging around in the games.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-16-2013, 04:23 AM   #5 (permalink)
Edgar Allan Pimp

You can say that again....
VN Likes: 3
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-16-2013, 04:41 AM   #6 (permalink)
I bleed ORANGE !!!

Not giving excuses but he is without his top player in Maymon and also have some top recruits committed for next year. Too early to even be talking about this.

watch out for the VOLS
VN Likes: 1
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-16-2013, 06:30 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by volmancagle17 View Post
Is zo closer to being fired or to being extended?

As a pearl supporter, its easy to see a huge difference in styles on both offense and defense. Offensively, this team is hard to watch. This is a good defensive team, but I worry that this style is losing supporters, that along with his inability to adjust in game and progress players skill sets.

Hes a good recruiter, but having 7 losses this early in year two scares me..

On a side note i was wondering is hubbs signed or just committed? Worries me that.he want out of his loi after seeing us stink it up.
He's probably not that close to either one. He's not getting fired anytime soon, and with the play this year hasn't warranted an extension...so it'd appear he'll continue along his current contract.

As for Hubbs he's signed and ready to get to Knoxville.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-16-2013, 06:36 AM   #8 (permalink)
This We'll Defend

Its actually not a very good defensive team
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-16-2013, 06:46 AM   #9 (permalink)

This team needs a head coach not a sheep. Not getting a technical on the McBee foul when there was no foul called until AFTER a foul was called on a Ky player shows a strong lack of leadership in my opinion. This team plays soft because their head coach is SOFT. Recruiting isn't going to fix soft unless someone you bring in is tougher than the coach.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-16-2013, 06:51 AM   #10 (permalink)

It would be so nice to see a UT team that actually took smart shots from the field and made them. Shooting at UT is horrid and has been even on the last Pearl teams. We just do not play smart at all.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-16-2013, 06:51 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee_Vol View Post
Its actually not a very good defensive team
This. When we take the air out of the ball and drive scores into the 50s, we give a pseudo-appearance of a good defensive team. In reality, we are among the SEC's bottom third in defensive efficiency (points per possession).

Pushing the tempo seemed like a really good idea at a time when we thought we were a good defensive team. Seeing now over the last several games (Memphis, Ole Miss, and UK in particular), we just give the other team more possessions to score by pushing the tempo. As a result, those teams scored an average of 84 points on us shooting a combined 43.4% from the field.

Not signs of a good defensive team.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-16-2013, 07:06 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cncchris33 View Post
This. When we take the air out of the ball and drive scores into the 50s, we give a pseudo-appearance of a good defensive team. In reality, we are among the SEC's bottom third in defensive efficiency (points per possession).

Pushing the tempo seemed like a really good idea at a time when we thought we were a good defensive team. Seeing now over the last several games (Memphis, Ole Miss, and UK in particular), we just give the other team more possessions to score by pushing the tempo. As a result, those teams scored an average of 84 points on us shooting a combined 43.4% from the field.

Not signs of a good defensive team.
I mentioned that as my concern about pushing the tempo awhile ago, and many thought the D would translate, but it's gotten worse.

I think our D was better when we were playing slower, I remember holding teams at or under 40% from the field, now it's consistently over 45% from the field. Our perimeter D was also good, now teams are shooting 30, 40 even 50 percent from deep. That's a direct result IMO of our transition D and losin mg guys.

I've been saying it for a week or so now...what do you do? Play fast our D suffers, but Jordy has flourished and we're scoring better. Slow it down and our D is better, but you hamstring a lot of our offensive guys. IMO its a fine line, and where a good PG would help right now. We need to push, but only certain spots, we can't let it effect our defense...we still need teams to play half court offense against us.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-16-2013, 07:15 AM   #13 (permalink)

To your earlier comment, you are exactly right on Cuonzo not being close to being fired, but not anywhere near an extension.

As for the quote below, you are correct on the team needing to pick it's spots to run. However, I'm not sure a PG is the whole problem there. I think Coach Martin isn't giving them any leadership on the offensive end. Remember that quote earlier about how "If they want to push the ball, I'm okay with that." That was just a really passive thing for a coach to say. A coach at this level can't let the players dictate the offense. He can give them freedom within the offense, but he can't let them choose the basic framework. I think these guys, especially Trae and Stokes, are suffering from a lack of direction on the offensive end. Some guys, like Jordan and Josh, who can flourish in the running game, are benefitting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedingTNorange View Post
I mentioned that as my concern about pushing the tempo awhile ago, and many thought the D would translate, but it's gotten worse.

I think our D was better when we were playing slower, I remember holding teams at or under 40% from the field, now it's consistently over 45% from the field. Our perimeter D was also good, now teams are shooting 30, 40 even 50 percent from deep. That's a direct result IMO of our transition D and losin mg guys.

I've been saying it for a week or so now...what do you do? Play fast our D suffers, but Jordy has flourished and we're scoring better. Slow it down and our D is better, but you hamstring a lot of our offensive guys. IMO its a fine line, and where a good PG would help right now. We need to push, but only certain spots, we can't let it effect our defense...we still need teams to play half court offense against us.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-16-2013, 07:26 AM   #14 (permalink)

He's trying to make us a boring big ten style team. Defense and low scoring offense. He is clearly in over his head
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-16-2013, 07:41 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMSqb11 View Post
He's trying to make us a boring big ten style team. Defense and low scoring offense. He is clearly in over his head
Yea cause clearly no big 10 teams have ever won anything.
Reply With Quote TOP