Report from Rupp

Jonboy

As many of you know, I live in Lexington. Went to the game tonight. Don't want to overshadow or steal the thunder from the other postgame reports, but I always think it's interesting to read someone's thoughts who hasn't been reading the board during the game thread. Sometimes gives a different perspective.

There is no such thing as a moral victory, but that was the best overall game Tennessee has played all year. Sucks that a few mental lapses cost us. If we make free throws and layups? We win. Really that simple. This victory would have meant a lot for this team. Here are my overall thoughts.

-Jordan McRae is officially the leader of this team. The guy made tough shot after tough shot. The thing I love is the sense of urgency and tenacity he's starting to develop. He was fearless in an incredibly hostile environment. Offensively, he attacked the basket continuously. Nothing but respect for the kid.

-Jarnell Stokes, time to join Trae Golden on the bench. He's being outplayed by pretty much everyone right now. I'll just say this...we never know what these guys are going through outside basketball so I hesitate to be too hard on them. After what happened with Chris Lofton's health his senior year, I'll never question a player's heart or toughness. I don't think they'd be playing for Martin if they didn't have heart. Hopefully, it's nothing near as serious as what Chris went through, but something just isn't right with both Stokes and Golden. School? Family? Health? I have no idea, but there's something there.

-Armani Moore deserves more playing time. The guy made a phenomenal move to get to the bucket that had quite a few UK fans around me impressed.

-Same for Derek Reese. I could see he and Moore starting by year's end. I'd much rather see him than McBee.

-Josh Richardson. Dude...work on your free throws. I felt so bad for the kid. The crowd was really letting him have it. Those two free throws would have made the game winnable. His defense was solid though, as usual.

-Yemi had some bright spots this game, especially defensively. He fouled out, but really held his own.

-Truth be told, I thought the officiating was as good as you're gonna get in Rupp. UK just got the calls at the right times. Frankly, they didn't contest at the basket near as much as UT did. I was surprised at Noel's lack of "presence" underneath. He had a few good blocks, but this guy is clearly nowhere close to Anthony Davis (even defensively).

-At this point, with our record, I'd like to see another lineup change. Let's roll with McRae, Moore, Reese, Richardson and Hall. See if Stokes steps up in the 6th man role.

Lastly, if the Vols bring that kind of effort when we play them at home, we win. Try and stay positive folks; I know it's hard. If Stokes and Golden can ever get hot, we'll get on a roll.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 people
Funny how last year we thought Stokes would be going pro after this year.
:cray: I know. The best I've seen him is still probably that first game at Rupp. He came off the bench and didn't back down one bit.

Agree with pretty much everything except Hall shouldn't get much PT. Makanjoula is the best defender we have inside the paint as well as the best rebounder. Hall should spot him

As many of you know, I live in Lexington. Went to the game tonight. Don't want to overshadow or steal the thunder from the other postgame reports, but I always think it's interesting to read someone's thoughts who hasn't been reading the board during the game thread. Sometimes gives a different perspective.

There is no such thing as a moral victory, but that was the best overall game Tennessee has played all year. Sucks that a few mental lapses cost us. If we make free throws and layups? We win. Really that simple. This victory would have meant a lot for this team. Here are my overall thoughts.

-Jordan McRae is officially the leader of this team. The guy made tough shot after tough shot. The thing I love is the sense of urgency and tenacity he's starting to develop. He was fearless in an incredibly hostile environment. Offensively, he attacked the basket continuously. Nothing but respect for the kid.

-Jarnell Stokes, time to join Trae Golden on the bench. He's being outplayed by pretty much everyone right now. I'll just say this...we never know what these guys are going through outside basketball so I hesitate to be too hard on them. After what happened with Chris Lofton's health his senior year, I'll never question a player's heart or toughness. I don't think they'd be playing for Martin if they didn't have heart. Hopefully, it's nothing near as serious as what Chris went through, but something just isn't right with both Stokes and Golden. School? Family? Health? I have no idea, but there's something there.

-Armani Moore deserves more playing time. The guy made a phenomenal move to get to the bucket that had quite a few UK fans around me impressed.

-Same for Derek Reese. I could see he and Moore starting by year's end. I'd much rather see him than McBee.

-Josh Richardson. Dude...work on your free throws. I felt so bad for the kid. The crowd was really letting him have it. Those two free throws would have made the game winnable. His defense was solid though, as usual.

-Yemi had some bright spots this game, especially defensively. He fouled out, but really held his own.

-Truth be told, I thought the officiating was as good as you're gonna get in Rupp. UK just got the calls at the right times. Frankly, they didn't contest at the basket near as much as UT did. I was surprised at Noel's lack of "presence" underneath. He had a few good blocks, but this guy is clearly nowhere close to Anthony Davis (even defensively).

-At this point, with our record, I'd like to see another lineup change. Let's roll with McRae, Moore, Reese, Richardson and Hall. See if Stokes steps up in the 6th man role.

Lastly, if the Vols bring that kind of effort when we play them at home, we win. Try and stay positive folks; I know it's hard. If Stokes and Golden can ever get hot, we'll get on a roll.

Noel's stat sheet shown on TV was pretty impressive.

Solid post, Jon. Agree with just about everything you said. I would also like to see Moore and Reese's minutes go up with Golden and McBee going in opposite direction. Not sure I agree on Hall and maybe give Yemi some starts to at least reward his hard play and good D. Got to get more production out of Stokes to have any chance of righting this ship and salvaging this season at all.

Reactions: 1 person
All the woulda, coulda, shoulda in the world ain't going to get us out of last place in the SEC. When posters on this board are coming up with better lineup change ideas than the coach, you know he's not doing his job.

I live in Lexington as well and truly enjoy attending this game each year. My thoughts:

-loved seeing some leadership from McRae. When Josh missed the FTs McRae was there to tell him to keep his head up. I've felt like this team needs a leader and I honestly didn't think McRae would be it, but that appears to be true.

-you cannot beat UK in Rupp if you miss gimmes and have mental mistakes. Refs will always favor UK and the crowd in Rupp and it takes a special team performance to beat them.

- I want to see Cuonzo fire at the refs once in awhile. When a couple calls went against UK early Cal got into the refs and the next couple of calls went UKs way. I'm not saying to yell/scream/demean, just want to see the refs acknowledge Cuonzo's presence.

- if you get the chance, go see the VOLS in Rupp. It's a great place and it kills the Cat fans to see our orange.

I'll hang up and listen, Go Vols.

I live in Lexington as well and truly enjoy attending this game each year. My thoughts:

-loved seeing some leadership from McRae. When Josh missed the FTs McRae was there to tell him to keep his head up. I've felt like this team needs a leader and I honestly didn't think McRae would be it, but that appears to be true.

-you cannot beat UK in Rupp if you miss gimmes and have mental mistakes. Refs will always favor UK and the crowd in Rupp and it takes a special team performance to beat them.

- I want to see Cuonzo fire at the refs once in awhile. When a couple calls went against UK early Cal got into the refs and the next couple of calls went UKs way. I'm not saying to yell/scream/demean, just want to see the refs acknowledge Cuonzo's presence.

- if you get the chance, go see the VOLS in Rupp. It's a great place and it kills the Cat fans to see our orange.

I'll hang up and listen, Go Vols.
Hahaha. This^

They're actually pretty nice to me usually, but it could be because I'm always with my wife who is for UK unfortunately. Great venue though. Last time I was there was when we had Lofton and UT beat them. Ahhh it was so great. Thought for a moment it may happen again tonight. Came so close. e

Btw good write up...

Just a few of my thoughts, we may have seen the last of Mcbee. Another lineup change may be coming, and hard to justify starting a guy who only is playing 15 minutes, and that's decreasing.

In order for this team to make a run golden has to wake up, so I put confidence in him and hope he wakes up, if not you're screwed. Moore and Reese also deserve to get more PT, here's what I'd go with...

Golden 25/ Moore 15
McRae 35/ Moore 5
Richardson 35/ Reese 5
Hall 15/ Reese 20/ Yemi 5
Stokes 25/ Yemi 15

Reactions: 1 person
Btw good write up...

Just a few of my thoughts, we may have seen the last of Mcbee. Another lineup change may be coming, and hard to justify starting a guy who only is playing 15 minutes, and that's decreasing.

In order for this team to make a run golden has to wake up, so I put confidence in him and hope he wakes up, if not you're screwed. Moore and Reese also deserve to get more PT, here's what I'd go with...

Golden 25/ Moore 15
McRae 35/ Moore 5
Richardson 35/ Reese 5
Hall 15/ Reese 20/ Yemi 5
Stokes 25/ Yemi 15
Thanks for the compliment. I'd be in favor of those lineup changes.

OP,

Interesting take on the refs from your perspective being at the game. Watching on TV that was a very poorly officiated game.

I try not to wear the Orange Shades when watching UT play but there were several bad calls last night. McBee's flagrant 1 was a total joke. There was no way his intent was to elbow the defender. Yes, UK's flagrant 1 was equally bad. Also, there were fouls on UT that were clearly charges and likewise there was a charge or 2 called on UT that looked like fouls on UK.

I understand UK is always going to get the edge at Rupp but the bad calls came at bad times. Good effort by the guys, though. They didn't quit.

I don't consider last night to have been Tennessee's best performance of the season, but I do think they're finally starting to gain more of an identity on offense.

VN Store

Back