The Kentucky Postgame Report

zjcvols

"On a Tennessee saturday night."
Staff member
1. Nobody should be surprised, nor disappointed in this loss. UT just didn't have the firepower to finish the job.

2. You saw the defense with Yemi Makanjoula. He was the difference maker tonight. When he fouled out, UK has too much inside to finish the game. Just shows you can't always rely on numbers. Yemi's numbers might not have been impressive, but his overall impact was.

3. I'd like a reasonable explanation why Armani Moore didn't have more minutes tonight. In his limited action, he had five points and four boards and played good D.

4. The Bernard King Player of the Game: Jordan McRae. Might as well rename this the Jordan McRae player of the game. He continues to make his case for All-SEC this year. He owned lottery pick Archie Goodwin tonight. Quite impressive tonight, and was really impressed with his ball handling tonight.

5. Trae had some good moments tonight. I thought his defense was better, especially on Harrow. But dear God, those turnovers and two missed point blank layups just kill you.

6. UK had too much inside on offense for UT to play consistent D, especially when Yemi went out and Stokes was in foul trouble. Noel had his way in there. Kenny Hall didn't step up (again). His defense was awful.

7. Speaking of Stokes, I thought he got screwed on the foul calls, at least in my mind. I've been critical of his fouling, but honestly, he was screwed from the get go playing against Noel and Cauley-Stein at Rupp. He had no chance.

8. Derek Reese continues to impress. He gave Wiltjer the hardest time tonight, had nine points, and grabbed four boards. He's going to be a solid player at UT. He played tough.

9. UT's pick-n-roll offense has to improve. Trae and Jordan, with their ability to score inside the three point arc, can do so much damage with that play, especially because they both can dish it. UT's bigs however don't set good screens, and since no one has a jump shot, it limits their ability to make a play. Look at how Wiltjer got some easy points because he can shoot.

10. 0-3 in the SEC absolutely sucks. But the last two games UT has played well, and seem to have improved, especially with the emergence of Jordan McRae. I thought UT played their best game in a month tonight. UT should win Saturday against a porous Mississippi State. Then a major opportunity next Thursday at Ole Miss. If UT can win the next two games, they get two home games against Alabama and Vandy. That's going to be the key. UT started off 1-3 last year in the SEC, and then 2-5, to finish 8-1. They get an extra two SEC games this year. I'm not saying UT is going to win 12 games. I'm just saying that if UT can fix the turnovers, they can still have a good season.

Go Vols!!!:hi:

Reactions: 5 people
They had the talent to be tied late in the game. However, they did not have the mental toughness to work hard enough to get a good shot in the last 3 minutes and they gave up dunks, layups, and wide open jumpers.

Reactions: 1 person
I don't see us beating Florida this year as well as UK at home. NIT again this season

I'm not sure why one would think we'll win at Ole Miss. They just whipped us at TBA and just beat Missouri at their place. That's definitely a probable L.

Reactions: 3 people
Thought we might be in trouble when Trae dribbled it off his nut sack.
Never have I seen so many bad ball handlers on one team.
TOs and FTs strike again.
Richardson embarrassed himself.
FTs are about personal dedication.
And where has our perimeter defense gone?
Not bichen just whinin.

Kentucky just, blah. They are average. No upperclassmen who understand the push it takes to play there, boys are just lost. Bluntly speaking there isn't any good reason they shouldn't have put this away by double digits much sooner.

Not bichen just whinin.

Hopefully this horrible ball handling and passing motivates this staff to find a GOOD PG who can contribute next year.

Yemi is a good defender. He earned his fouls. He needs to play within himself though and not take himself out of the game with fouls.

Stokes got jobbed tonight. The refs were bound and determined not to let him play. It's complete horsesh*t that in 2013 we have refs that are still that incompetent. NO damn excuse for some of those calls and non-calls tonight.

Moore should've gotten more PT tonight. No way in hell he can be any worse than McBee at defending. McBee is a flat out liability.

Ky had no one that could stay with McRae. He should've been getting the ball on every possession late. Golden had 5 of UT's 13 turnovers. McRae was UT's only double digit scorer. Ky had more balance. 4 guys had double digits.

The game in TBA will be interesting to see which teams show back up a month from now. UT can beat Ky if they're not beaten down by losses by then. We'll see.

Kentucky just, blah. They are average. No upperclassmen who understand the push it takes to play there, boys are just lost. Bluntly speaking there isn't any good reason they shouldn't have put this away by double digits much sooner.

Considering the foul differential in the 1st half and well into the 2nd half, I'd agree with that last statement.

1.I also liked Armani Moore's play the last two games
2. Refs blew it the whole game, Yemi obviousaly took a charge on a no call Noel dunk! Stokes was being hacked the whole game, making him a non-factor
3. I love the confidence and scoring ability of a playmaking Mcrae

because the reality is Ky is no better than Tn.It was a game of 2 bad basketball teams.But Tn beats Ky at home as long as Cal dont bring his own refs.

Not bichen just whinin.

This is the worst ball handling team I've seen at UT in some time. Just atrocious. It didn't kill us like it did at Bama, but we had 11 assists and 13 turnovers. Ky had 13 assists and 15 turnovers.

because the reality is Ky is no better than Tn.It was a game of 2 bad basketball teams.But Tn beats Ky at home as long as Cal dont bring his own refs.

The talent disparity between the two teams is huge. Yes, UK should have put this game away early. Ya'll been screaming that same stale excuse for 50 years. God bless the refs when you when, feck em when you lose.

Yemi played his butt off and got some bad calls on him.
Mcrae is all this team has on off.
Stokes cant catch a break and gets frustrated and gets into foul trouble which is 50/50 with him.
Reese is playing better and was aggressive
Richardson just smh
Mcmiss once again has no reason to be in a uniform.
Trae is pathetic period.Missing layups ,turnovers and cant play def.
Moore should of gotten more playing time.
Hall played better but he still acts like he is high.

It's "win". It's hard to take you seriously WHEN you can't spell. Nice UK education, right? I highly doubt it. Let me guess... You also root for the Lakers and Jimmy Johnson.

The 0-3 conference start is frustrating. With the SEC being so awful, we are quickly approaching a point where we'll have to win out to have a shot at the tournament. I know most people who are in touch with reality have known for a while that this probably wasn't a tournament team, but I don't know if we thought the team would be all but eliminated by the middle of January.

VN Store

Back