UT @ UK = Great Opportunity

IsiahVictor

Rupp Arena could easily be the toughest place to play in the entire nation. I can remember the 1 game that we won there in 1999. It had been 19 years since UT beat Uk in Rupp and we were very determined to make sure that streak didnt go to 20. UK was ranked #6 at the time and we were unranked and in need of some quality wins to help us get into the NCAA tourney. The fans filled the place up and covered it with blue for as far as we could see. It was sooooo loud that we could barely hear each other unless we huddled closely. The referees were clearly influenced by the crowds judgement as any call that couldve went either way, went their way.We wound up winning 47 to 46, but it was the hardest fought game of my career to that point in my Sophomore season. The fans in Lexington were stunned and we were on a natural high as we had just accomplished a feat the was highly improbable. The 2013 Vols have an oppourunity to get a quality road win that could also help their NCAA tournament resume. We have lost our last 3 games, but I couldnt think of any better way to end that losing streak than with a big road win vs rival UK. To do so we are gonna need to play without turning the ball over. 16 turnovers at Alabama is probably the biggest reason that we lost to a very beatable Tide team. The turnovers that hurt the most occured in the last 3 minutes of the game as Bama surprised us with full court pressure. Those turnovers in the backcourt lead them to the type of easy layups that ultimately put the game out of reach for the Vol. The Uk team that we are facing isnt nearly as dominate as the National Championship team from last year, but they do have some good individual talent. We have to find a way to be consistent on offense and defense for the entire 48 minutes as that is something that we havent really did all year. I think if we hold them under 70 points we will be fine. They are a big team, so it would help alkot to win the rebounding war. Noel is a big time shot blocker in the middle for UK so we may need to use the pump fake to get him off the ground and try to get him in foul trouble, as they are a totally different team without him. Beyond all of the X's and O's the goal of the Vols should be to compete every single posession straight from the tipoff, if we do that and keep enough focus in this hostile environment the Vols have a good chance of turning the season in the right direction with a big road W!

Reactions: 6 people
Rupp Arena could easily be the toughest place to play in the entire nation. I can remember the 1 game that we won there in 1999. It had been 19 years since UT beat Uk in Rupp and we were very determined to make sure that streak didnt go to 20. UK was ranked #6 at the time and we were unranked and in need of some quality wins to help us get into the NCAA tourney. The fans filled the place up and covered it with blue for as far as we could see. It was sooooo loud that we could barely hear each other unless we huddled closely. The referees were clearly influenced by the crowds judgement as any call that couldve went either way, went their way.We wound up winning 47 to 46, but it was the hardest fought game of my career to that point in my Sophomore season. The fans in Lexington were stunned and we were on a natural high as we had just accomplished a feat the was highly improbable. The 2013 Vols have an oppourunity to get a quality road win that could also help their NCAA tournament resume. We have lost our last 3 games, but I couldnt think of any better way to end that losing streak than with a big road win vs rival UK. To do so we are gonna need to play without turning the ball over. 16 turnovers at Alabama is probably the biggest reason that we lost to a very beatable Tide team. The turnovers that hurt the most occured in the last 3 minutes of the game as Bama surprised us with full court pressure. Those turnovers in the backcourt lead them to the type of easy layups that ultimately put the game out of reach for the Vol. The Uk team that we are facing isnt nearly as dominate as the National Championship team from last year, but they do have some good individual talent. We have to find a way to be consistent on offense and defense for the entire 48 minutes as that is something that we havent really did all year. I think if we hold them under 70 points we will be fine. They are a big team, so it would help alkot to win the rebounding war. Noel is a big time shot blocker in the middle for UK so we may need to use the pump fake to get him off the ground and try to get him in foul trouble, as they are a totally different team without him. Beyond all of the X's and O's the goal of the Vols should be to compete every single posession straight from the tipoff, if we do that and keep enough focus in this hostile environment the Vols have a good chance of turning the season in the right direction with a big road W!

I totally remember that game. I was a senior in HS. Was a great year, as we had just come off winning the first BCS National Championship in football. Even though several weeks had passed between that football game and that b-ball game, I was still riding high on Big Orange emotion. That was a great win for us. Hope we can pull it out tonight.

Reactions: 1 person
Great point on the TOs. We are a team that doesn't play that fast, even when we push it we aren't FAST like a Louisville. We turn the ball over an extremely high % it seems for our possessions, and that has to stop.

If we can have <10 turnovers at Rupp we will have a good chance tonight.

Reactions: 1 person
I think we'll play better tonight but it's not going to be enough to beat UK.
lose by 10-15

Last edited:
*40 minutes
I went to the game at rupp the next year. Talk about a tough place to play and a tough place to be an opposing fan. I was only 11. It was sad. We were 4th in the nation at the time.

Didnt we win there in CBP's first year in 2006

I was at the 1999 game that Victor played in, sitting close to the court. I'll never forget Wharton's 3. I predicted to my KY friends that day that UT would win. I felt like I could see it coming; it all came together perfectly. I was at the 2006 game too.

I think 1999 was the last year we swept UK.

It was.

We had a golden opportunity to do it in 2006 but didn't quite close the deal at home.
We were very close in both games, but were swept in 2002.
I don't know how we managed to only get a split in 2008.
And, then you have 2009, when UK wasn't even good enough to make the NCAAs; yet, they managed to clobber us twice.

My opinion on toughest places to win..
1. Cameron Indoor - The refs are scared of Coach K and the nerd herd is right on the floor
2. Kansas' Fieldhouse - Well known to be the loudest in the country
3. Rupp - If you're an underdog its quiet, but if you're ranked or a a favorite...the place will be shaking 24 thousand strong
4. Indiana - Its LOUD everygame
5. Louisvilles Yum Center - Pitino is a master at manipulating the refs and his full court press turns the place into a frenzy

Most Overrated----UNC's Dean Dome. Unless Duke comes to town, its really quiet. People rarely stand up and its mostly old folks.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back