2547 users online now!    CONTACT US | ADVERTISE | REGISTER       

About this Page -- This is a discussion on UT @ UK = Great Opportunity. within the forum Tennessee Vols Basketball. Rupp Arena could easily be the toughest place to play in the entire nation. I can remember the 1 game ...

Go Back   VolNation > Tennessee Vols Forums > Tennessee Vols Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2013, 12:28 PM   #1 (permalink)

UT @ UK = Great Opportunity

Rupp Arena could easily be the toughest place to play in the entire nation. I can remember the 1 game that we won there in 1999. It had been 19 years since UT beat Uk in Rupp and we were very determined to make sure that streak didnt go to 20. UK was ranked #6 at the time and we were unranked and in need of some quality wins to help us get into the NCAA tourney. The fans filled the place up and covered it with blue for as far as we could see. It was sooooo loud that we could barely hear each other unless we huddled closely. The referees were clearly influenced by the crowds judgement as any call that couldve went either way, went their way.We wound up winning 47 to 46, but it was the hardest fought game of my career to that point in my Sophomore season. The fans in Lexington were stunned and we were on a natural high as we had just accomplished a feat the was highly improbable. The 2013 Vols have an oppourunity to get a quality road win that could also help their NCAA tournament resume. We have lost our last 3 games, but I couldnt think of any better way to end that losing streak than with a big road win vs rival UK. To do so we are gonna need to play without turning the ball over. 16 turnovers at Alabama is probably the biggest reason that we lost to a very beatable Tide team. The turnovers that hurt the most occured in the last 3 minutes of the game as Bama surprised us with full court pressure. Those turnovers in the backcourt lead them to the type of easy layups that ultimately put the game out of reach for the Vol. The Uk team that we are facing isnt nearly as dominate as the National Championship team from last year, but they do have some good individual talent. We have to find a way to be consistent on offense and defense for the entire 48 minutes as that is something that we havent really did all year. I think if we hold them under 70 points we will be fine. They are a big team, so it would help alkot to win the rebounding war. Noel is a big time shot blocker in the middle for UK so we may need to use the pump fake to get him off the ground and try to get him in foul trouble, as they are a totally different team without him. Beyond all of the X's and O's the goal of the Vols should be to compete every single posession straight from the tipoff, if we do that and keep enough focus in this hostile environment the Vols have a good chance of turning the season in the right direction with a big road W!
VN Likes: 6
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-15-2013, 12:42 PM   #2 (permalink)

*Corrupt Arena
VN Likes: 1
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-15-2013, 12:53 PM   #3 (permalink)

Solid post. A win would be nice but I sure aint bankin' on it.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-15-2013, 12:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
Gettin' Dirty Baskets

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsiahVictor View Post
Rupp Arena could easily be the toughest place to play in the entire nation. I can remember the 1 game that we won there in 1999. It had been 19 years since UT beat Uk in Rupp and we were very determined to make sure that streak didnt go to 20. UK was ranked #6 at the time and we were unranked and in need of some quality wins to help us get into the NCAA tourney. The fans filled the place up and covered it with blue for as far as we could see. It was sooooo loud that we could barely hear each other unless we huddled closely. The referees were clearly influenced by the crowds judgement as any call that couldve went either way, went their way.We wound up winning 47 to 46, but it was the hardest fought game of my career to that point in my Sophomore season. The fans in Lexington were stunned and we were on a natural high as we had just accomplished a feat the was highly improbable. The 2013 Vols have an oppourunity to get a quality road win that could also help their NCAA tournament resume. We have lost our last 3 games, but I couldnt think of any better way to end that losing streak than with a big road win vs rival UK. To do so we are gonna need to play without turning the ball over. 16 turnovers at Alabama is probably the biggest reason that we lost to a very beatable Tide team. The turnovers that hurt the most occured in the last 3 minutes of the game as Bama surprised us with full court pressure. Those turnovers in the backcourt lead them to the type of easy layups that ultimately put the game out of reach for the Vol. The Uk team that we are facing isnt nearly as dominate as the National Championship team from last year, but they do have some good individual talent. We have to find a way to be consistent on offense and defense for the entire 48 minutes as that is something that we havent really did all year. I think if we hold them under 70 points we will be fine. They are a big team, so it would help alkot to win the rebounding war. Noel is a big time shot blocker in the middle for UK so we may need to use the pump fake to get him off the ground and try to get him in foul trouble, as they are a totally different team without him. Beyond all of the X's and O's the goal of the Vols should be to compete every single posession straight from the tipoff, if we do that and keep enough focus in this hostile environment the Vols have a good chance of turning the season in the right direction with a big road W!
I totally remember that game. I was a senior in HS. Was a great year, as we had just come off winning the first BCS National Championship in football. Even though several weeks had passed between that football game and that b-ball game, I was still riding high on Big Orange emotion. That was a great win for us. Hope we can pull it out tonight.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-15-2013, 01:02 PM   #5 (permalink)

Great point on the TOs. We are a team that doesn't play that fast, even when we push it we aren't FAST like a Louisville. We turn the ball over an extremely high % it seems for our possessions, and that has to stop.

If we can have <10 turnovers at Rupp we will have a good chance tonight.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-15-2013, 01:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
Deez who? Deez Vols

We will need the score to be that low again tonight.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-15-2013, 01:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
#BuckSquad

I think we'll play better tonight but it's not going to be enough to beat UK.
lose by 10-15

Last edited by SWFLvol33; 01-15-2013 at 01:20 PM..
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-15-2013, 01:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
Gettin' Dirty Baskets

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFLvol33 View Post
I think we'll play better tonight but it's not going to be enough to be UK.
lose by 10-15
I don't think we're trying to be UK. Beat them, yes. But not be them.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:20 PM   #9 (permalink)
#BuckSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersmo18 View Post
I don't think we're trying to be UK. Beat them, yes. But not be them.
Epic fail lol thanks for the correction
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-15-2013, 03:38 PM   #10 (permalink)

*40 minutes
I went to the game at rupp the next year. Talk about a tough place to play and a tough place to be an opposing fan. I was only 11. It was sad. We were 4th in the nation at the time.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-15-2013, 11:45 PM   #11 (permalink)
Vols Against Bama

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsiahVictor View Post
Didnt we win there in CBP's first year in 2006
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-15-2013, 11:45 PM   #12 (permalink)
Raise a lil hell...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vol_51 View Post
Yes, you can count on one hand how many times we've won there.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-16-2013, 06:09 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vol_51 View Post
I think he meant 1 as in the 1 that he won there as a player.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-16-2013, 08:19 PM   #14 (permalink)

I was at the 1999 game that Victor played in, sitting close to the court. I'll never forget Wharton's 3. I predicted to my KY friends that day that UT would win. I felt like I could see it coming; it all came together perfectly. I was at the 2006 game too.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-17-2013, 03:25 PM   #15 (permalink)

I think 1999 was the last year we swept UK.
Reply With Quote TOP