2795 users online now!    CONTACT US | ADVERTISE | REGISTER       

About this Page -- This is a discussion on The Official Tennessee @ Kentucky Game Thread, 7:00pm ET (1/15/13), ESPN Page 74. within the forum Tennessee Vols Basketball. Originally Posted by UTCVol I thought we were getting over the hump; that was really a pretty good year. Dominated ...

Go Back   VolNation > Tennessee Vols Forums > Tennessee Vols Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2013, 12:16 AM   #1096 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTCVol View Post
I thought we were getting over the hump; that was really a pretty good year. Dominated a good UConn team in the 2nd round and had UNC under control until they just fell apart. I still curse Tony Harris to this day. Those teams had so much talent but a complete mental invalid for a coach.
I agree....would have loved to have seen those players under a different coach.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-16-2013, 12:27 AM   #1097 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLDunlap View Post
John Jenkins never considered anyone but Vanderbilt. He committed to Vandy very early and immediately shut it down. He let everyone know he wasn't interested.
Because a UT offer never came. He committed his junior year, which is not uncommonly early these days. This came directly out of Seth Massey's (Station Camp HC) mouth and he only hopped in the conversation cause he heard my dad and i discussing the UT-Bama game Saturday. Unless you're in the Jenkins household, I'd say Massey knows the situation much better than you.
VN Likes: 1
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-16-2013, 01:14 AM   #1098 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolGee4 View Post
Huh? What instate talent? How many players instate did Pearl get? Chism and??
Tennessee has plenty of instate talent. Memphis gets a lot of them now, but Alex Proythress, John Jenkins, excetera were darn good players. Look at the recruiting sites to see how many top 100 players TN produced this year. I never mentioned Pearl by the way.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-16-2013, 12:00 PM   #1099 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAVol View Post
Something is wrong with Stokes
I know, I know, he's just not very good. 5 star my a$$.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-16-2013, 01:24 PM   #1100 (permalink)
Old School Kentucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmelton7 View Post
Alex Proythress
Poythress is a head case atm.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-16-2013, 03:31 PM   #1101 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlinggreenvol View Post
Because a UT offer never came. He committed his junior year, which is not uncommonly early these days. This came directly out of Seth Massey's (Station Camp HC) mouth and he only hopped in the conversation cause he heard my dad and i discussing the UT-Bama game Saturday. Unless you're in the Jenkins household, I'd say Massey knows the situation much better than you.
All I know is Jenkins did visit Tennessee and he certainly didn't wait long for a UT offer since he committed to Vandy before Christmas his junior year. Pearl even said once Hopson committed to UT Jenkins stopped listening.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-16-2013, 04:00 PM   #1102 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmelton7 View Post
Tennessee has plenty of instate talent. Memphis gets a lot of them now, but Alex Proythress, John Jenkins, excetera were darn good players. Look at the recruiting sites to see how many top 100 players TN produced this year. I never mentioned Pearl by the way.
I think we have all learned by now that UT cannot bank on getting Memphis players. Memphis in addition to the other 5 SEC teams that are closer in location get those players. Plus, Pearl put all of his eggs in the Elliott Williams' basket, and it hurt us once we lost him.

The other two you mentioned are two players in 3 years. You can't develop a roster just based on TN talent. While Nashville has some good talent, there just isn't enough year in and year out. CCM did get Hubbs this year.

I think the recipe is fairly simple. Lock down the state for the 4-5 star recruits that are attainable every couple of years. Then, focus on the Atlanta area and any other midwest ties that the staff has. I think the one mistake CCM made was not adding a staff member who is well-known in Atlanta. All of his staff have midwest ties, and those kids want to go to the Big Ten.

Last edited by VolGee4; 01-16-2013 at 04:04 PM..
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-16-2013, 04:19 PM   #1103 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLDunlap View Post
All I know is Jenkins did visit Tennessee and he certainly didn't wait long for a UT offer since he committed to Vandy before Christmas his junior year. Pearl even said once Hopson committed to UT Jenkins stopped listening.
You proved my point; Jenkins wasn't going to wait. Pearl favored McDonald over Jenkins and the spot was McDonald's to lose. Jenkins didnt like being a 2nd choice according to Massey. Had he been the first choice and received that offer early on he would've jumped on it is what I was told. Massey called Pearl and told him John's not waiting so if you plan on offering do it now.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-16-2013, 04:54 PM   #1104 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlinggreenvol View Post
You proved my point; Jenkins wasn't going to wait. Pearl favored McDonald over Jenkins and the spot was McDonald's to lose. Jenkins didnt like being a 2nd choice according to Massey. Had he been the first choice and received that offer early on he would've jumped on it is what I was told. Massey called Pearl and told him John's not waiting so if you plan on offering do it now.
Hindsight is always 20/20 in recruiting. While Jenkins was highly ranked, McDonald was a Top 15 recruit if I recall. Recruits have to understand that they are not always the first option but must make the best decision for them.
Reply With Quote TOP