Zone @ Rupp

Stoked

I hope CCM is watching this UK vs Vandy game. Vandy is zoning them and UK can't score at all. We need to bring that into Rupp!

Reactions: 1 person
Idk if anyone watched that game but that no call on the shot clock violation was ridiculous. Vandy and UK should have went into OT.

Ky was up by 16 with about 13 min to go and went ice cold and Vandy went on a 18-0 run. Vandy got screwed, but refs can't review a shot clock violation. Down goes Candy.

Reactions: 1 person
Shocking game. UK had been steadily improving with each passing game. That was a step (or two) in the wrong direction. Really surprised that game was close.

But YES, zone the hell out of 'em. The only ones who can shoot are Harrow and Wiltjer, and Wiltjer has struggled.

Arencibia fan nailed it though. For UK, a missed shot can often help them, what with their size and rebounding prowess. So we must be able to rebound out of the zone.

Ky was up by 16 with about 13 min to go and went ice cold and Vandy went on a 18-0 run. Vandy got screwed, but refs can't review a shot clock violation. Down goes Candy.

Yeah they got screwed bad. Stallings was so mad lol!

I'm glad to see a zone in a game, it means we've Atleast tried it in practice. Thankfully UK doesnt have a Marshall Henderson so you don't have any one (besides) wiltjer who I'd really worry about shading in a zone.

My only concern would be rebounding. They already have the twin towers down there, going zone would take a very aggresive yet disciplined effort rebounding from our entire team.

Ky is a very young team. They had a 16 point lead with 13 min to go and relaxed and it almost bit them in the butt. UT doesn't get them at home until another month. They'll be better by then, but they're going to lose a few in the SEC.

Based on last night's and tonight's games, I'd rank the top 4:

1) Fla
2) Mizzou
3) Ole Miss
4) Ky

Looked decent for the first time until what's his name got on fire, then a zone is useless, unless you are running a 3-2.

Our guards didn't appear quick enough in rotation for a zone to be effective. A 2-3 zone defense is designed to take away driving and passing lanes into the paint, and force the opposing team to beat you by making outside shots. So, while OM did begin to shoot us out of the zone, their guards got to the paint with ease. That's likely based on two things. One, OM guards are actually a threat to score from the perimeter, so we can't sluff off like teams do against us. Two, we have probably not spent much time practicing zone defense.

Ky is a very young team. They had a 16 point lead with 13 min to go and relaxed and it almost bit them in the butt. UT doesn't get them at home until another month. They'll be better by then, but they're going to lose a few in the SEC.

Based on last night's and tonight's games, I'd rank the top 4:

1) Fla
2) Mizzou
3) Ole Miss
4) Ky
They are always young brother man. Having a sophomore on that team is considered having an upperclassman.

There is not a UK fan alive that can honestly believe that if they have any sense.

Living in Kentucky though, I know better.

Our guards didn't appear quick enough in rotation for a zone to be effective. A 2-3 zone defense is designed to take away driving and passing lanes into the paint, and force the opposing team to beat you by making outside shots. So, while OM did begin to shoot us out of the zone, their guards got to the paint with ease. That's likely based on two things. One, OM guards are actually a threat to score from the perimeter, so we can't sluff off like teams do against us. Two, we have probably not spent much time practicing zone defense.

There's one HUGE no no in a 2-3, don't let the point split your 2 guards and go middle, how many times we did that I have no clue.

It was clear they weren't very comfortable in it. I'd like to see it practiced more and ran with say Moore, McRae, Richardson/reese, Yemi/hall, and stokes. Moore's length would help out in that zone.

I hope CCM is watching this UK vs Vandy game. Vandy is zoning them and UK can't score at all. We need to bring that into Rupp!

I don't think it is going to matter what defense Tennessee plays. I believe we are in for a good thrashing. If we keep it under 30 it will be moral victory.

I don't think it is going to matter what defense Tennessee plays. I believe we are in for a good thrashing. If we keep it under 30 it will be moral victory.

Even when I thought we were going to have Maymon, I didn't like this matchup. Now I really don't. Their bigs are a lot taller and a lot more athletic.

It's really weird that they can review to see whether or not a ball hit the rim (pretty sure I've seen that several times), but apparently they cannot review whether or not a shot is attempted in time. That makes no sense.

There's one HUGE no no in a 2-3, don't let the point split your 2 guards and go middle, how many times we did that I have no clue.

It was clear they weren't very comfortable in it. I'd like to see it practiced more and ran with say Moore, McRae, Richardson/reese, Yemi/hall, and stokes. Moore's length would help out in that zone.

I have some questions as to whether UT's base personnel can run a 2-3 zone. I know there are a couple coaches/ex-coaches floating around on here and maybe they can answer this better, but I don't think Yemi, Stokes or Hall are guys you ideally want playing the 'forward' position in a 2-3 zone. All 3 of them could probably survive at the center, but Yemi and Stokes in particular look lost when they have to try to defend space more than 6 feet from the goal. Seems like the 1-3-1 they tried in Italy or a 3-2 would work better with UT's roster.

I have some questions as to whether UT's base personnel can run a 2-3 zone. I know there are a couple coaches/ex-coaches floating around on here and maybe they can answer this better, but I don't think Yemi, Stokes or Hall are guys you ideally want playing the 'forward' position in a 2-3 zone. All 3 of them could probably survive at the center, but Yemi and Stokes in particular look lost when they have to try to defend space more than 6 feet from the goal. Seems like the 1-3-1 they tried in Italy or a 3-2 would work better with UT's roster.

In less you're going golden/ moore, McRae, Richardson, reese, stokes/Yemi/hall

It's really weird that they can review to see whether or not a ball hit the rim (pretty sure I've seen that several times), but apparently they cannot review whether or not a shot is attempted in time. That makes no sense.

I dont know why this is a debate. If Vandy had a shot clock with a decimal point it wouldnt be an issue. When the clock hits 0, a normal clock would still have .9 left to shoot. That ball would have left his hand around the .7 mark.

VN Store

Back