2800 users online now!    CONTACT US | ADVERTISE | REGISTER       

About this Page -- This is a discussion on Conzo & Dooley Page 3. within the forum Tennessee Vols Basketball. Originally Posted by bobbyutvol IMO both were bad hires. We are already falling fast in basketball just like football. Hamilton ...

Go Back   VolNation > Tennessee Vols Forums > Tennessee Vols Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2013, 12:49 PM   #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyutvol View Post
IMO both were bad hires. We are already falling fast in basketball just like football. Hamilton really did a number on the Vols, We need a new basketball coach now before it hits bottom. Where is Bruce, bring him back now.

You are correct. Martin was not the best hire, that could have been made; however, almost no one was interested due to the supposed sanctions by the NCAA that were pending.

The team has character and there have been no troubles with the players off the court. Also, we beat Florida last season and Stokes signed with us and HUbbs will sign with us. Those are the high lights of Martins job here.

The low lights are the losses to Austin Peay,M.T.S.U. the 1 point loss to Memphis in Hawaii and the loss to College of Charleston.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-10-2013, 12:50 PM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiremedicVOL127 View Post
Pearl had a more exciting team to watch and he found ways to win with the lesser talent he had when he 1st got here that was all I was saying.
You are wrong about Pearl having less talent his 1st year. He had JaJuan Smith, Chris Lofton, Dane Bradshaw and CJ Watson on that team.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-10-2013, 12:56 PM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynxVol View Post
1. This thread should not be in the recruiting forum.
2. Cuonzo is a good coach. He almost got a terrible team (from a talent perspective) into the tournament last year.
3. Cuonzo's best player, arguably, is redshirting this season due to injury (again, he inherited a bad team with no depth).
4. He's recruited and signed Robert Hubbs, a top 20 player nationally.

Get over your sour grapes from losing to Ole Miss last night. They aren't a bad team.
Didnt dooley inherit a decimated roster? Didnt Hunter and Bray go down his second year? Didnt Dooley still apparently recruit well? I guess our back to back 5-7 seasons werent bad teams either. One decent recruit will not save this team next year. Something is clearly not clicking with this team and I hope we get it sorted out.
VN Likes: 1
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-10-2013, 12:59 PM   #34 (permalink)
EBERRY4HEISMAN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocEtop10uhsee View Post
Give the guy a break... How bout you go out and coach W/O 1st team all sec player...
This is the SEC, not the ACC. You shouldn't need 1st team SEC players to win in this league.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-10-2013, 01:02 PM   #35 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyutvol View Post
IMO both were bad hires. We are already falling fast in basketball just like football. Hamilton really did a number on the Vols, We need a new basketball coach now before it hits bottom. Where is Bruce, bring him back now.
It's a good thing your opinion doesn't mean sh*t. It's his 2nd year, give the man time.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-10-2013, 01:06 PM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehop View Post
You are wrong about Pearl having less talent his 1st year. He had JaJuan Smith, Chris Lofton, Dane Bradshaw and CJ Watson on that team.
That is part of my point before going into that season cj was considered a avg sec pg.....jajuan smith was an after thought walk on......lofton was considered a good three point shooter that couldn't do anything else....bradshaw was a 3rd string pg that couldn't shoot that we wasted a scholarship on and was picked to finish near the bottom of the sec......only after pearl are those players remembered so fondly.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-10-2013, 01:19 PM   #37 (permalink)

Again, I like how people overreact after one (or two) terrible games and want someone fired. I guess it is just the sign of the times.

I would be in bad shape if my job was contingent upon having every day being successful because they are some that are more productive than others.

Let the season play out first.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-10-2013, 01:21 PM   #38 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by volbeast33 View Post
That is part of my point before going into that season cj was considered a avg sec pg.....jajuan smith was an after thought walk on......lofton was considered a good three point shooter that couldn't do anything else....bradshaw was a 3rd string pg that couldn't shoot that we wasted a scholarship on and was picked to finish near the bottom of the sec......only after pearl are those players remembered so fondly.

Nothing average about CJ Watson. He may have been viewd as average because Buzz Peterson had been his coach. But, PG play is so important in college basketball.

Pearl had very good guard play along with a sharpshooter. Pearl did great things with that team and overachieved, but my point is that Pearl had the guard play to make it work.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-10-2013, 01:24 PM   #39 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphisvol87 View Post
Didnt dooley inherit a decimated roster? Didnt Hunter and Bray go down his second year? Didnt Dooley still apparently recruit well? I guess our back to back 5-7 seasons werent bad teams either. One decent recruit will not save this team next year. Something is clearly not clicking with this team and I hope we get it sorted out.
One 5 star recruit can make a difference in college basketball. No doubt about it. Not in football, but in basketball.

I am not saying that we will be world-beaters, but a 5 star player in basketball is huge.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-10-2013, 01:31 PM   #40 (permalink)

Cuanzo is still a Hamilton hire. Sadly, that's one thing that can never change. We got rid of the Hamilton stench in football this year, but it's still here in basketball. I just assume every hire Hamilton makes is ****ty. Except Pearl, of course.

This isn't Cuanzo's fault, but until he leaves absolutely zero doubt as to his coaching abilities, I will always wonder. I simply can't convince myself that any Hamilton hire is 'the answer'. I really think the program is in a bad spot. You obviously can't fire Cuanzo either (not saying we should).
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-10-2013, 01:50 PM   #41 (permalink)

Why did it take so long to identify hamilton as a cancer on the UTAD ?
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-10-2013, 02:01 PM   #42 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolGee4 View Post
Again, I like how people overreact after one (or two) terrible games and want someone fired. I guess it is just the sign of the times.

I would be in bad shape if my job was contingent upon having every day being successful because they are some that are more productive than others.

Let the season play out first.
College BB coaches are measured on tourny appearances. CCM has never been as a coach. He didn't go last year. The SEC will probably only get 4 teams in the tourny this year. KY, Missouri, and FL are more than likely going. Everyone else is battling for 4th place. Ole Miss just took a huge step in grabbing that spot from us. Assuming that CCM does not make the dance this year, then his job at UT will probably be decided on what the team does next year. He will definitely be on the hot seat come next Nov. So, no there isn't an over reaction because of one bad day at the office. A very important game to CCM future here at UT was lost last night. You think it's bad now, if we lose Sat at Bama, it's going to get ugly really quick with a visit to Rupp right around the corner.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-10-2013, 02:01 PM   #43 (permalink)
5 star member

Hamilton made this hire... No surprise it's not a home run or even a double.. This team is sloppy. Last year's team was sloppy.. Reminds me of Kevin O'neill basketball.. He does have a shooter coming in next year. That will help..

Last edited by Cartervol; 01-10-2013 at 02:11 PM..
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-10-2013, 02:03 PM   #44 (permalink)

chill out Maymon is hurt and him and Hubbs will be here next yr along with an older Stokes, Richardson and Mcrae
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-10-2013, 02:04 PM   #45 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy123 View Post
You are correct. Martin was not the best hire, that could have been made; however, almost no one was interested due to the supposed sanctions by the NCAA that were pending.

The team has character and there have been no troubles with the players off the court. Also, we beat Florida last season and Stokes and Hubbs signed with us . Those are the high lights of Martins job here.

The low lights are the losses to Austin Peay,M.T.S.U. the 1 point loss to Memphis in Hawaii and the loss to College of Charleston.
fyp
Reply With Quote TOP