Lack of talent??

bleedingTNorange

I'm fully aware that this can be attributed to Martin and his recruitment, but for everyone's sanity can we avoid that. I'm trying to come up with what the issues are, we've tried uptempo, we've tried slow. We've tried man, and tonight some zone. We've tried different lineups, and it just seems this isn't a 20 win or NCAA team.

So why???? Well, let's take a look at the "talent" on this team...

Jarnell Stokes 5*
Trae Golden 4*
Jordan McRae 4*
Kenny Hall 4*
Josh Richardson 3*
Yemi Makanjoula 2*/3*
Derek Reese 2*/3*
Armani Moore 2*/3*
Quinton Chievous 2*/3*
D'montre Edwards 2*/3*
Dwight Miller 2*/3*
Skylar Mcbee 2*
Brandon Lopez NR

So this team basically has 4 players, who were recruited by top 25 programs, yet that's what we want this team to be right, or close to it? Now Yemi and Josh may (or already have) prove that they are good enough to play in the SEC, but fact is we have 4 guys getting minutes who are talented basketball players, that are the caliber of player it takes to be top 25.

Its not all on the players or stars.CCM just isnt that good of a coach.This team looks pathetic.They can play slow pace or fast its not going to matter.This team has not improved from game 1 to now.

Reactions: 2 people
I'm fully aware that this can be attributed to Martin and his recruitment, but for everyone's sanity can we avoid that. I'm trying to come up with what the issues are, we've tried uptempo, we've tried slow. We've tried man, and tonight some zone. We've tried different lineups, and it just seems this isn't a 20 win or NCAA team.

So why???? Well, let's take a look at the "talent" on this team...

Jarnell Stokes 5*
Trae Golden 4*
Jordan McRae 4*
Kenny Hall 4*
Josh Richardson 3*
Yemi Makanjoula 2*/3*
Derek Reese 2*/3*
Armani Moore 2*/3*
Quinton Chievous 2*/3*
D'montre Edwards 2*/3*
Dwight Miller 2*/3*
Skylar Mcbee 2*
Brandon Lopez NR

So this team basically has 4 players, who were recruited by top 25 programs, yet that's what we want this team to be right, or close to it? Now Yemi and Josh may (or already have) prove that they are good enough to play in the SEC, but fact is we have 4 guys getting minutes who are talented basketball players, that are the caliber of player it takes to be top 25.

Hall and Golden being a 4 star is a joke. Golden is more like a 3 and Hall is a 3 on his best day and usually a 2 at best. Tonight he was a zero. He's a frustrating player to watch. He has talent, but he's lazy as hell.

Reactions: 1 person
I know I'm in the minority, but I'm not sold on Yemi. He's better than Hall in some situations, but he has been as ineffective/detrimental as Hall on the average for the season IMO.

Its not all on the players or stars.CCM just isnt that good of a coach.This team looks pathetic.They can play slow pace or fast its not going to matter.This team has not improved from game 1 to now.

That's what gets me. They should be showing improvement. Just some form of improvement. But if anything we look worse than we did earlier on this season.

Last year's team improved when conference play started. Well, it's conference play now. It's do or die time.

Unfortunately for this team, the whole is not greater than the sum of its parts. And that's what you need to become a cohesive and successful unit on the basketball court, the football field, or anywhere else in a competitive endeavor. A collection of individuals that plays as if each individual has a different agenda is never going to become a successful entity.

Reactions: 2 people
I know I'm in the minority, but I'm not sold on Yemi. He's better than Hall in some situations, but he has been as ineffective/detrimental as Hall on the average for the season IMO.

Oh I agree, but like Kenny, there are some days when Yemi just brings it.

Hall is more maddening though, because he has the talent. Yemi, hate to say it, really just isn't that gifted an athlete or basketball player. So everything he does almost feels like gravy.

Yemi is a project. Limited offensively, but takes charges and is a better defensive presence than Hall. If you could combine the two then you'd have a pretty good player. Yemi can't keep from fouling. That is why he doesn't play more. Hall has the talent. He just doesn't have the drive.

Yemi is a project. Limited offensively, but takes charges and is a better defensive presence than Hall. If you could combine the two then you'd have a pretty good player. Yemi can't keep from fouling. That is why he doesn't play more. Hall has the talent. He just doesn't have the drive.

This is the only part I disagree with. I'd say they're pretty much even in that category. I've seen Yemi run into our own players and blow plenty of assignments on defense. Hall can draw the charge and swat shots too. Not trying to diss Yemi, because he plays with tenacity, but I think I'd take Hall at the 5 over Yemi any day. Almost solely because of his length and athleticism advantages. JMO.

Well tonight..lol.

Hall 12min 0pts 0rbd 1to 5foul
Yemi 15min 7pts 7rbd 0to 1foul

And I give him all the credit in the world. Hall didn't hold a candle to him tonight.

If Yemi can stay out of foul trouble i give him the minutes. Neither is head and shoulders above the other, so if for no other reason...help Yemi progress, Kenny is gone after the year.

This is the only part I disagree with. I'd say they're pretty much even in that category. I've seen Yemi run into our own players and blow plenty of assignments on defense. Hall can draw the charge and swat shots too. Not trying to diss Yemi, because he plays with tenacity, but I think I'd take Hall at the 5 over Yemi any day. Almost solely because of his length and athleticism advantages. JMO.

If Yemi can stay out of foul trouble i give him the minutes. Neither is head and shoulders above the other, so if for no other reason...help Yemi progress, Kenny is gone after the year.

Oh, Yemi can get lost. I don't disagree with that, but it's because he still doesn't know what to do. But like bTNo said, I'd give Yemi the minutes because Hall is gone next year. Plus, Hall is a lazy ass. At least Yemi busts his ass. He may be a bull in a china shop at times, but at least he's trying. Hall is out there acting like he is stoned half of the time.

Reactions: 3 people
Oh, Yemi can get lost. I don't disagree with that, but it's because he still doesn't know what to do. But like bTNo said, I'd give Yemi the minutes because Hall is gone next year. Plus, Hall is a lazy ass. At least Yemi busts his ass. He may be a bull in a china shop at times, but at least he's trying. Hall is out there acting like he is stoned half of the time.

Yemi got more minutes than Kenny tonight, we may continue to see that. As bad as golden is playing I may role this out there...

Golden 20/ Jordan 15/ Lopez 5
Jordan 20/ Josh 10/ skylar 10
Josh 25/ Reese 15
Yemi 20/ Kenny 15/ Reese 5
Stokes 35/ Yemi 5

Jordan 35
Josh 35
Stokes 35
Yemi 25
Golden 20
Reese 20
Kenny 15
Skylar 10
Lopez 5

It's not coaching. It's recruiting. The entire freshman class is not SEC caliber. That includes the redshirt freshman Chevious as well.

I give Martin a pass on the first class because we needed bodies and the NCAA was in town and we were graduating a lot of guys and we had two guys leave earlier. On top of that we had two commits bolt when pearl got canned.

Martin's inability to sign good players has been our downfall. I hate to be hard on individual players but with the exception of Richardson and Stokes and potentially Hubbs, Martin hasn't brought in guys that can play. What's worse is that we've got two more questionable signees this class. Landry is supposed to be the pg yet here we are in January looking at point guards to sign in the spring. Why? My fear is that coach has realized that Landry can't get it done at this level.

Coaching isn't the problem. It's talent.

That's what gets me. They should be showing improvement. Just some form of improvement. But if anything we look worse than we did earlier on this season.

Last year's team improved when conference play started. Well, it's conference play now. It's do or die time.

I agree, they look worse every game.This team has no fire and neither does the coaches.Everybody from the staff to the players looks lost.

It's not coaching. It's recruiting. The entire freshman class is not SEC caliber. That includes the redshirt freshman Chevious as well.

I give Martin a pass on the first class because we needed bodies and the NCAA was in town and we were graduating a lot of guys and we had two guys leave earlier. On top of that we had two commits bolt when pearl got canned.

Martin's inability to sign good players has been our downfall. I hate to be hard on individual players but with the exception of Richardson and Stokes and potentially Hubbs, Martin hasn't brought in guys that can play. What's worse is that we've got two more questionable signees this class. Landry is supposed to be the pg yet here we are in January looking at point guards to sign in the spring. Why? My fear is that coach has realized that Landry can't get it done at this level.

Coaching isn't the problem. It's talent.

you keep telling yourself that.Pearl took a team in his 1st year that didnt have a 5* and probably not a 4* and they went out and battled and won games.

You have to realize, Martin had nothing and not alot of time to get anything when he came in, he had to grab players and hope to develop them and maybe find some gems (Richardson) basketball isn't like football, if you aren't recruiting these guys in their soph. And jr. Years you have no hope. Let's watch what he brings in, it looks alright as of now. If you're expecting results right now sorry, its not gonna happen. I want to compete for Sec titles as much as the next guy but, Rome wasn't built in a day.

I'm wondering that the more things we "try" and "change" the more it has been hurting us.

Most coaches and teams have a SET way. Maybe CCM is learning on the fly? I have know idea, but I have always known that repetition is the best way to get better at something. The more you change things up, the worse it will be IMO.

VN Store

Back