Question about UT basketball..

OrangeHammer

-Lost In Da Sauce-
I keep up with the team and try to analyze as much as I can, but I'm simply confused. What's wrong with this team? What does Cuonzo need to do to get the most out of this team? We've played teams that are far less talented than we are, even without Maymon, and we've managed to lose. Tonight was a perfect example. Surely Ole Miss isn't anymore talented than we are, yet the coach finds ways to put his players in position to score.

IMO we looked horrible on BOTH ends of the floor. Stokes has been a complete let down thus far, and the only person who seems to be playing with any fire is Jordan McRae.. who should have been putting up good numbers considering his offensive skill set.

WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS TEAM?

Reactions: 1 person
Ole Miss is very talented.
Maybe not the greatest individually but their leaders have been playing together for 4 years.
Good chemistry makes good talent better.

Reactions: 2 people
Actually I'd venture to say ole miss has more talent, so there goes that theory.

Wrong .....so wrong.... Tennessee has much more talent, just no shooters....and some on here are already making excuses, blaming pearl, players and/or have blinders on....but they can all sit to themselves in this arena when the curtains go up week by week

Actually I'd venture to say ole miss has more talent, so there goes that theory.

So try and not just single out Ole Miss. Look what we've done against other competition. We beat a good Wichita St team, but only manage 36 points against Georgetown and 38 vs Virginia. Say what you will, but coaches find ways to get the best out of their players. There is a lot wrong with this team. Offensively we just look PATHETIC.

Wrong .....so wrong.... Tennessee has much more talent, just no shooters....and some on here are already making excuses, blaming pearl, players and/or have blinders on....but they can all sit to themselves in this arena when the curtains go up week by week

You just proved you know jack crap.

Compare their 8 man rotations....ill help you...Tennessee runs with 1 five star 3 four stars 1 three star 3 two stars

I can just about guarantee you ole miss 8 guys are more talented

So try and not just single out Ole Miss. Look what we've done against other competition. We beat a good Wichita St team, but only manage 36 points against Georgetown and 38 vs Virginia. Say what you will, but coaches find ways to get the best out of their players. There is a lot wrong with this team. Offensively we just look PATHETIC.

We have 5 losses...ole miss, Memphis, okie state and Georgetown are hands down more talented. Virginia was a bad showing, no disagreement coming from me there.

Where is UT more talented?

Buckner/Holloway > Stokes/Hall

Henderson > Golden

McRae is the only player that has similar talent. Stokes can't do it alone. Hall was a no show.

Reactions: 3 people

I'm waiting....

Ole miss is filled with 3&4 star players, that's a talented team, and they are more talented than we are. Sorry.

You just proved you know jack crap.

Compare their 8 man rotations....ill help you...Tennessee runs with 1 five star 3 four stars 1 three star 3 two stars

I can just about guarantee you ole miss 8 guys are more talented
The only four star (Rivals) currently getting good minutes on Ole Miss is Buckner. Surprisingly, Henderson, Summers, Williams, Millinghaus, Jones, White, and Holloway were all 3-stars. Williams and Holloway were Top 150 players; though, and Henderson was the JUCO POY last season.

I really don't know much about the Henderson cat, but Holloway and Buckner are talented. Buckner was underrated coming out of Memphis. I really don't know what else they have, but their front line is good.

The only four star (Rivals) currently getting good minutes on Ole Miss is Buckner. Surprisingly, Henderson, Summers, Williams, Millinghaus, Jones, White, and Holloway were all 3-stars. Williams and Holloway were Top 150 players; though, and Henderson was the JUCO POY last season.

Ok you proved my point for me, thank you lol. They don't have 3 two stars out there playing significant minutes, and if we count Lopez idk that he was even a 2*.

Last edited:
Ok you proved my point for me, thank you lol. They don't have 3 two stars out there playing significant minutes, and if we count Lopez idk that he was even a 2*.
They also don't have a five star and three four stars, either, though. Kennedy is underrated in getting underrated local talent to play well for him.

They also don't have a five star and three four stars, either, though. Kennedy is underrated in getting underrated local talent to play well for him.

Yes and no. He develops underrated talent but isn't consistent enough to make the tournament. They always play and beat nobody out of conference. I think he may finally get there this year because the SEC is so bad. I am sure they play MSU twice.

Yes and no. He develops underrated talent but isn't consistent enough to make the tournament. They always play and beat nobody out of conference. I think he may finally get there this year because the SEC is so bad. I am sure they play MSU twice.
Oh, I'm not claiming he's a great coach. His teams have never had great chemistry and generally have been fundamentally poor. But he does seem to find underrated recruits throughout Mississippi and the rest of the southeast. I do think he'd be more successful at a school that generally cared about basketball, though. If Ole Miss were to miss the tournament again this season and fire Kennedy, they'd be putting themselves in a bad spot imo. I don't think they could do better right now.

His team has more talent, that was the question. They may not have super highly rated guys, but they're very rounded and that showed.

And that's what Tennessee is missing. We play a lineup sometimes with a NR, 2*, 3*, 2* and 2*....don't see ole miss throwing that rotation out there lol.

Pretty sure most of the teams we beat in 2nd half of the season last year had more talent than us. That didn't seem to matter.

Oh, I'm not claiming he's a great coach. His teams have never had great chemistry and generally have been fundamentally poor. But he does seem to find underrated recruits throughout Mississippi and the rest of the southeast. I do think he'd be more successful at a school that generally cared about basketball, though. If Ole Miss were to miss the tournament again this season and fire Kennedy, they'd be putting themselves in a bad spot imo. I don't think they could do better right now.

Probably so. Buckner and Terrico White were great finds in Memphis. Not totally under the radar but both were overshadowed by several other Memphis players in their classes.

Why would you use "stars" to judge talent on the court in 2013? Some of these guys are juniors/seniors and you're trying to judge talent based on ratings assigned as HS seniors and AAU ball?

Ole Miss had a better team on the floor tonight.

Real key to the game (for me): OM has the JUCO Henderson constantly stirring the pot. Even when he misses a shot, he makes things happen for others to get involved. He is fun to watch and a nightmare for the other team to handle.

UTK has no one to stir the pot like Henderson; so UT lost. He scored 30+, and all I really remember are the back-to-back 3's and lots of FT's made. JMO

Well this is for sure. Ole mrs. has a better bald coach then our bald coach. Martin's ability as a evaluator of player talent for the SEC is lacking. Reese was billed as a shooter repeatedly...well not yet! If he could shoot at all, this great defensive emphasis has dulled his vision. And this defense is not great.

These kids are not having fun even when they win. Their poor shooting is due to what is going on between their ears and that is coaching territory. When did Pearl or Fulmer ever tell the media to ask a player why he is shooting so poorly? He told them to ask Golden instead of him. Only Dooley would sic the media on a player. I cannot imagine being subjected to a coach that looks like he is never having fun. And that is how ccm looks and acts.

Remember the Pearl days, before he decided to admit his small sin and was not forgiven? Tennessee basketball was flowering. Now it withers.

Hopefully the Pearl will coach for us again.

In the end Tennessee sports will suffer until we get an AD that can bring in coaching talent that can make it in the SEC. What we need is a Tennessee boy as AD. Oh, say...FULMER!!!

Fire cheeks and Hart now.

I'm waiting....

Ole miss is filled with 3&4 star players, that's a talented team, and they are more talented than we are. Sorry.

So your a "stars mean everything" guy and obviously very defensive of the team. Nothing wrong with that, but the reality is we play with 0 fire and don't have anyone that can simply shoot the ball into the basket. That and their coach is clearly not getting the most out of them- something is missing with him.

His team has more talent, that was the question. They may not have super highly rated guys, but they're very rounded and that showed.

And that's what Tennessee is missing. We play a lineup sometimes with a NR, 2*, 3*, 2* and 2*....don't see ole miss throwing that rotation out there lol.

And that is 100% Martins fault.

So your a "stars mean everything" guy and obviously very defensive of the team. Nothing wrong with that, but the reality is we play with 0 fire and don't have anyone that can simply shoot the ball into the basket. That and their coach is clearly not getting the most out of them- something is missing with him.

No I'm not a stars mean everything, but it's really the only unbiased way to evaluate talent on a team. I hate hall, but some may say hall is better than ? on ole miss and it just becomes an argument. So...for sake of arguing talent on a team the really only subjective way to do it is go by rankings.

Also, if you look at the best recruiting teams over the last couple years, it usually pretty closely correlates with teams in the top 25. Rarely do you see a team consistently recruiting 50th ranked classes but being in the top 25, the stars have been proven to matter.

VN Store

Back