Future of PG position...

bleedingTNorange

"Yes, my opinion is that they would like to add a point guard in the spring. However, now that Maymon is for sure coming back, they have to create some room to make that happen. So no, there's not a spot open at the moment, but I do think that the staff is still looking for PG help and would make room in the right instance.

As for Landry, his stock has been slipping in the eyes of pretty much everyone since last spring, and Tennessee never wavered on taking him. If they were unsure about him, especially given the need there, I would have to think they would have cut him b/f allowing him to sign an LOI. Parting ways with him now, if they were inclined to do so, will be a lot tougher.

I don't know how much of a sleeper he is since most on the board are aware of him, but I think Corn Elder is definitely in the picture as someone they may take a hard look at. The staff has been in to see him this season and are at least keeping tabs on him at the moment.

Dominique Hawkins, at Madison Central in Kentucky is a name that's creating a little buzz this winter. He had lots of mid-major offers coming out of the summer and is attracting some bigger looks with his play over the last month. He's someone that I think Tennessee will probably at least take a look at."

-Rob Lewis

Thanks for the update BTO. This is exactly what we were talking about in the BLo thread yesterday. Interesting though that Rob does not think it is Landry that we would part ways with........Chievous is the first name that comes to mind for me. He does not appear to be a high-major talent. Maybe Cuonzo feels he needs to stock pile PGs. It is probably a good idea for his system to have at least 3 PGs on the roster.

I think Corn Elder may be steal. The guy has incredible heart and toughness. He makes me think of Melvin Goins. I would take Melvin back for this season in heartbeat.

Thanks for the update BTO. This is exactly what we were talking about in the BLo thread yesterday. Interesting though that Rob does not think it is Landry that we would part ways with........Chievous is the first name that comes to mind for me. He does not appear to be a high-major talent. Maybe Cuonzo feels he needs to stock pile PGs. It is probably a good idea for his system to have at least 3 PGs on the roster.

I think Corn Elder may be steal. The guy has incredible heart and toughness. He makes me think of Melvin Goins. I would take Melvin back for this season in heartbeat.
Let's be fair to Chievous. He came here to play the 2 position.
It's Martin's brain child to play him at the 4 where he is ineffective.
But, being overloaded at the guard position (that's on Martin too) he could be the first to go. Hopefully by his own choice.

No problem. Yea I've been pushing the Elder bandwagon now for probably close to a month. The guy is an athlete, super quick, knows how to win and the best part...he wouldn't cost us a scholarship and would he bball and fball programs.

As for who gets cut, it's hard for them to part with Landry since he's signed his LOI. It's still possible too, but he'd likely have to ask out of it and not sure if he'd do that. Q has been my guess as well, seems to have fallen out and not sure he's worth the scholly for the next 3 years.

Will be interesting to watch play out, but if this team can add a good quick PG their ceiling just got even higher nex year.

Good stuff Bleed. The point guard position was exposed once again in the Memphis game. This is indeed an area of need.

So we were only looking to add another point guard before Maymon's redshirt was announced? That is still the plan, but we just need to make room for him now?

Is Corn Elder realistic? His basketball list and football list don't jive except Tennessee.

Isn't Point Guard a misnomer in the modern era of basketball?

Give me an SG with a great handle, great court vision, great passer, complete set of shooting tools and a high BB IQ any day over a pass first guy.

Pro PGs score, control the game and lead in assists.

Any good JUCOS or transfers out there?

After next year we might be in rough shape

Give me an SG with a great handle, great court vision, great passer, complete set of shooting tools and a high BB IQ any day over a pass first guy.

Scoring PGs seem to be a recent phenomena in the NBA.

Scoring PGs seem to be a recent phenomena in the NBA.

Just the amount of big time scorers in general the NBA has seen enter the game in the last 10 or so years befuddles me.

Outside the superstars you have guys like Jamal Crawford, Monta Ellis, Brandon Jennings, LaMarcus Aldridge, Rudy Gay, Jarret Jack, OJ Mayo and all these other players that can drop 50 on you any given night.

Missouri decommit Travis Jorgenson, recruited by Kent williams lists TN as a school of interest.
11 points 6 assists as a soph.
3 * Rivals 150
Any chance we're still looking BTO?

Missouri decommit Travis Jorgenson, recruited by Kent williams lists TN as a school of interest.
3 * Rivals 150

247, Scout, and ESPN don't have us on his list. He does have some nice offers though. Seems like we should be interested

247, Scout, and ESPN don't have us on his list. He does have some nice offers though. Seems like we should be interested
Didn't have us on his list of 4 schools in November.
Rated pretty close to Craft coming out.
Craft was 28 Jorg is 33. Rivals

Just watched some highlights. Looks ok, but nothing spectacular, IMO. Would be a project at the high-major level. Definitely looks like a solid mid-major talent.

But that might be the best we can manage at this point.

Jones and Martin should both visit him together on the same day, sit in his living room and say "If you come to the University of Tennessee you can play both sports no questions asked".

How would that not sell a kid?

If both coaches want him he's coming to Tennessee IMO.

Didn't you just describe golden?

3 * Rivals 150

I looked up some yesterday with him, another poster mentioned him. No recent contact from Tennessee, hes playing it smart though. He knows PGs are a hot commodity in the spring so he's wanting to see who comes calling in the spring.

Just watched some highlights. Looks ok, but nothing spectacular, IMO. Would be a project at the high-major level. Definitely looks like a solid mid-major talent.

But that might be the best we can manage at this point.

I don't see him better as elder, and elder wouldn't use a basketball scholarship. Elder is a win win scenario for us at a position of need.

VN Store

Back