reality check needed in bball thread

UneducatedGuess

Its okay to be a fan and be optimistic...but the postgame reports are pumping sunshine and celebrating moral victories.

The reality is that outside of an unprecedented outbreak by one player, the rest of this team played lazy, undisciplined basketball. Much like Tennessee teams of the past, this team suffers from no leadership on the floor.

Maymon being out means this team will finish in the middle of the sec and miss the tournament

That is the reality. We played awful against memphis. Quit pretending we did not.

Reactions: 9 people
Didn't notice any one pumping sunshine.
Most agree changes have to be made.

Its okay to be a fan and be optimistic...but the postgame reports are pumping sunshine and celebrating moral victories.

The reality is that outside of an unprecedented outbreak by one player, the rest of this team played lazy, undisciplined basketball. Much like Tennessee teams of the past, this team suffers from no leadership on the floor.

Maymon being out means this team will finish in the middle of the sec and miss the tournament

That is the reality. We played awful against memphis. Quit pretending we did not.

First half was terrible. Second half was exciting and promising. I think vol fans have reason to be optimistic. jmo

Reactions: 1 person
First half was terrible. Second half was exciting and promising. I think vol fans have reason to be optimistic. jmo

As fans optimism springs eternal. But we have a good sample of this coach's ability. While his defense can be impressive, his lack of any clue on offense is very discouraging. More of the same from last season. He does the same thing over and over and for some reason I guess he expects a different result.

I must say I agree with the rest of the post, though. I'm not one for moral victories and silver linings. Yes, McRae and Richardson broke out and showed they have true offensive ability, but I doubt we can get performances like that consistently, especially considering this was the first time, 12 games into the season.

I'm with you in that the Memphis game was a home game against a beatable rival. Through and through, a game we should have won. I want to see this team win consistently against decent teams.

Very curious to say the least to see about our offense Wednesday. Putting up 53 in a half against Memphis was impressive and hopefully leads to us scoring more consistently going forward.

I call it like I see it.

Here are my counterpoints.

As each game goes by Richardson is more and more commanding of the huddle and can frequently be seen doing lots of talking during breaks. Leadership is still an issue, but you can't coach leadership and Josh is making great strides and it really showed against Memphis.

McRae was a catalyst to our big run, but Kenny and Josh both heavily contributed along with the fact that the entire team picked up the pace of play if you notice. The change of pace was likely a coaching adjustment and a successful one, it is further demonstrated by Golden being replaces by Lopez who pushed the pace much better.

Saying we played lazy is a cop out that people that don't fully understand what is going on out there use. We didn't played lazy and we rarely if ever do, what you are confusing with laziness was a bunch of superior Memphis athletes motivated to win an in-state rivalry game exerting their clear physical advantages. Memphis was the team that became lazy and complacent in the second half and we capitalized.

Reactions: 2 people
As fans optimism springs eternal. But we have a good sample of this coach's ability. While his defense can be impressive, his lack of any clue on offense is very discouraging. More of the same from last season. He does the same thing over and over and for some reason I guess he expects a different result.
It will be interesting where the optimism springs from after the next 3 games.
If nothing changes we'll follow 4 wins with 4 losses.

And if that happens ill definitely have lots of questions.

I said before this 3 game stretch, 2-1 was my prediction and would be fine. Win the next 2 and Memphis loss is forgotten in my mind.

I call it like I see it.

Here are my counterpoints.

As each game goes by Richardson is more and more commanding of the huddle and can frequently be seen doing lots of talking during breaks. Leadership is still an issue, but you can't coach leadership and Josh is making great strides and it really showed against Memphis.

McRae was a catalyst to our big run, but Kenny and Josh both heavily contributed along with the fact that the entire team picked up the pace of play if you notice. The change of pace was likely a coaching adjustment and a successful one, it is further demonstrated by Golden being replaces by Lopez who pushed the pace much better.

Saying we played lazy is a cop out that people that don't fully understand what is going on out there use. We didn't played lazy and we rarely if ever do, what you are confusing with laziness was a bunch of superior Memphis athletes motivated to win an in-state rivalry game exerting their clear physical advantages. Memphis was the team that became lazy and complacent in the second half and we capitalized.

Agreed. They did get lazy on D, which allowed UT back in the game.

What Zo can't seem to grasp in the first half is that passing the ball around the perimeter and jacking a 3 is not a motion offense. Every time he lets the wings take over the offense starts moving and they pick up the production. Get Reese back and use him for the outside shots, sit McBrick and bench Golden 20-25 minutes a game until he wakes up. Hall's game fits with Richardson and McRae. Stokes and Yemi can clean up around the rim. They just need McRae and Richardson to be mindful of getting back on D quickly.

The SEC is getting little to no respect from the media this season, so we'll have to finish very high in the conference race to get an invite. I'm hopeful, but not optimistic.

Agreed. They did get lazy on D, which allowed UT back in the game.

What Zo can't seem to grasp in the first half is that passing the ball around the perimeter and jacking a 3 is not a motion offense. Every time he lets the wings take over the offense starts moving and they pick up the production. Get Reese back and use him for the outside shots, sit McBrick and bench Golden 20-25 minutes a game until he wakes up. Hall's game fits with Richardson and McRae. Stokes and Yemi can clean up around the rim. They just need McRae and Richardson to be mindful of getting back on D quickly.
Whether they can't or won't they don't play motion offense.
There may be some variation of motion they can play but it's not this one.
No good enough ball handlers to play dribble drive and not enough IQ to play read and react.
Golden's not asleep, he doesn't play well with pain. same problem end of last season.
Needs limited minutes until he heals.

OP's name fits him pretty well. We finished 2nd last year with the SEC being a lot better. We started out even worse last year than we did this year. I'm glad he knows how our season is going to end up though..

Several die-hards are already pointing to next season. We've fallen below expectations, so look to the future....

You need a quick point guard to facilitate the motion offense. UT doesn't have that guy. Difference in the game was Memphis got production from the point where UT relied on individual stellar plays from their wings. Joe Jackson 20pts,7 ast,4 rebs,2stls, 1 blk.

Several die-hards are already pointing to next season. We've fallen below expectations, so look to the future....

Whose expectations have we fallen below though? We have only lost one game i didn't expect us to so far. I think there is still a lot to play for this season, a lot this team can accomplish.

I hope I'm wrong. I was simply trying to point out that the quality of basketball we are witnessing does not match expectations. To think otherwise is overly optimistic.

I hope CCM can light a fire, but halfway through the season, and I have little hope.

It reminds me of Jerry green years

I hope I'm wrong. I was simply trying to point out that the quality of basketball we are witnessing does not match expectations. To think otherwise is overly optimistic.

I hope CCM can light a fire, but halfway through the season, and I have little hope.

It reminds me of Jerry green years

He did last year what makes you think he can't next year?

VN Store

Back