Recruiting/Talent

Dougie_D

After the Memphis game should Tennessee be concerned about the lack of athletes and talent? It was mentioned that Tennessee play great D, but the Memphis players were athletic enough to grind it out against us. I feel like we need some more offensive SKILLED players rather than great defenders.

Remember, Josh Tabb? He was recruited by Pearl and everyone was like WTF?! He wasn't skilled at the offensive side but he played HARD defense for us and was a great asset for us off the bench. I'm starting to feel like our team are full of Josh Tabbs. Thoughts?

Also, how much did this loss affect our recruiting?

Josh and Jordy would dispute the team of Josh Tabbs argument. Btw I like Tabb. Lol

Won't hurt recruiting much if at all, it's not like we were storming Memphis stealing recruits before the loss.

Reactions: 1 person
I agree with the OP. And will add that the Jarnell Stokes hype was way over blown. I'm not saying he sucks, but I don't think he'll ever be the kind of player we all probably hoped he would be.

And before anybody pipes in with "he's still young and would have been a freshman this year," just step back and look at his desire. If he had half the desire of Maymon, he'd be dominating games.

Sadly, I'm afraid he's another in a long line of supposed top talents that turn out to be wallflowers when they step on our campus.

I guess you can look at this a couple of different ways. We lost tonight by 5 to a team that has the 2nd most talent in the country, let that sink in....

So talent clearly isn't everything or Memphis would be a top 10 team, yet they're not that. However, when you have guys like skylar Mcbee starting for your team it definitely shows a lack of talent, no doubt about it.

I think the injuries also obviously haven't helped matters either. We lost a guy who was preseason all-sec and was starting to get the attention of NBA scouts, that's a big talent loss for any team.

I don't know that there's a crystal clear answer, I think a lot of factors all come into play. I do think we obviously need to add some fire power, some outside shooting, and some PG quickness. Robert Hubbs coming in should definitely help take care of the first 2 things, and we'll see if Landry can help with the latter.

Look at next years projected team from a "talent" standpoint alone...

PG: Golden-4* top 75 player
SG: McRae-4* top 50 player
SF: Richardson- 3* top 150 player
F: Stokes- 5* top 10 player
F: Maymon- 4* top 50 player

6th man: Hubbs- 5* top 10 player

Thats pretty talented, but kind of lacks the overall depth. Moore, Edwards, Reese, Q, Landry, Davis and Yemi are all 2 or 3 stars who weren't top 150. I think the biggest thing right now for recruiting would be for CCM to recruit a very good JUCO PG. Our wings are talented and plenty deep next year, same for our bigs, the lacking area seems to be PG.

I guess you can look at this a couple of different ways. We lost tonight by 5 to a team that has the 2nd most talent in the country, let that sink in....

So talent clearly isn't everything or Memphis would be a top 10 team, yet they're not that. However, when you have guys like skylar Mcbee starting for your team it definitely shows a lack of talent, no doubt about it.

I think the injuries also obviously haven't helped matters either. We lost a guy who was preseason all-sec and was starting to get the attention of NBA scouts, that's a big talent loss for any team.

I don't know that there's a crystal clear answer, I think a lot of factors all come into play. I do think we obviously need to add some fire power, some outside shooting, and some PG quickness. Robert Hubbs coming in should definitely help take care of the first 2 things, and we'll see if Landry can help with the latter.

Look at next years projected team from a "talent" standpoint alone...

PG: Golden-4* top 75 player
SG: McRae-4* top 50 player
SF: Richardson- 3* top 150 player
F: Stokes- 5* top 10 player
F: Maymon- 4* top 50 player

6th man: Hubbs- 5* top 10 player

Thats pretty talented, but kind of lacks the overall depth. Moore, Edwards, Reese, Q, Landry, Davis and Yemi are all 2 or 3 stars who weren't top 150. I think the biggest thing right now for recruiting would be for CCM to recruit a very good JUCO PG. Our wings are talented and plenty deep next year, same for our bigs, the lacking area seems to be PG.

Golden is not 100%, he is dealing with a nagging shoulder injury. Next year he will be back to being the Trae that we know and love. The fact that Lopez has proven to be a servicable backup option is huge imo. This puts less pressure on Landry to produce immediately. If players like Yemi, Richardson, and McRae continue to improve at their current trajectory of development, look out.

Golden is not 100%, he is dealing with a nagging shoulder injury. Next year he will be back to being the Trae that we know and love. The fact that Lopez has proven to be a servicable backup option is huge imo. This puts less pressure on Landry to produce immediately. If players like Yemi, Richardson, and McRae continue to improve at their current trajectory of development, look out.

I've been Golden's biggest supporter probably, so for me to ride him, it's probably warranted lol.

I understand the shoulder injury, but I also understand its his left shoulder, shouldn't be effecting his shot THAT much (1/16 iirc). It also shouldn't be effecting his horrible decision making, more turnovers than assists last 3 games. It also shouldn't be effecting his ability to push the ball up the floor, something Lopez does. He was never quick on defense, so obviously it isn't effecting that, but he struggles with the quick guards.

I've been Golden's biggest supporter probably, so for me to ride him, it's probably warranted lol.

I understand the shoulder injury, but I also understand its his left shoulder, shouldn't be effecting his shot THAT much (1/16 iirc). It also shouldn't be effecting his horrible decision making, more turnovers than assists last 3 games. It also shouldn't be effecting his ability to push the ball up the floor, something Lopez does. He was never quick on defense, so obviously it isn't effecting that, but he struggles with the quick guards.

You obviously have never had a shoulder injury or played ball.

Played all my life, shoulder injury never effected my floor IQ, or willingness to push the pace.

Players respond differently to injuries.
Golden evidently doesn't handle pain well.
As far as pushing pace I seem to remember a couple of games where he was quite effective.
I'd cite examples but traded my dvr for hd so can't go back.
Injuries are killing us right now.

Players respond differently to injuries.
Golden evidently doesn't handle pain well.
As far as pushing pace I seem to remember a couple of games where he was quite effective.
I'd cite examples but traded my dvr for hd so can't go back.
Injuries are killing us right now.

Agree.

We played 7 scholarship guys and 2 walk ons (including skylar) last night against a team full of 4 and 5 stars...the fact it was only a 5 point game (actually 3) is kind of crazy.

Off the top of my head we played: 1 five star, 2 four stars, 4 three stars, 2 walk ons.

I think they had 3 five stars, 3 or 4 four stars, and a couple 3 stars.

After the Memphis game should Tennessee be concerned about the lack of athletes and talent? It was mentioned that Tennessee play great D, but the Memphis players were athletic enough to grind it out against us. I feel like we need some more offensive SKILLED players rather than great defenders.

Remember, Josh Tabb? He was recruited by Pearl and everyone was like WTF?! He wasn't skilled at the offensive side but he played HARD defense for us and was a great asset for us off the bench. I'm starting to feel like our team are full of Josh Tabbs. Thoughts?

It should have been concerned with the lack of talent long before last night.

Talent doesn't matter if you can't coach. Just look at the team and coach that beat us last night.

Agree.

We played 7 scholarship guys and 2 walk ons (including skylar) last night against a team full of 4 and 5 stars...the fact it was only a 5 point game (actually 3) is kind of crazy.

Off the top of my head we played: 1 five star, 2 four stars, 4 three stars, 2 walk ons.

I think they had 3 five stars, 3 or 4 four stars, and a couple 3 stars.
With a healthy Golden the game would have been different.
Just can't lose his production when we were on the edge before he was hurt.
Be interesting to see what changes before Ole Miss. Expect lots of zone.

We have two former walk ons logging serious minutes. Should tell you all you need to know.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

I had my doudts when we first hired Coach Martin. He came from a smaller college and had a good run in the NCAA but Buzz Peterson did the same thing while at Tulsa.

Then I had more doudts when we lost to Memphis by 1 point in Hawaii. Then we lost to Austin Peay, then we lost to College of Charleston, then we had a tournament loss to M.T.S.U.

The only reason that I have any belief in Coach Martin is because he sucessfully recruited Stokes and we beat Florida last season. Other than those two things, he has not impressed me.

We seem to be on some of the major players list, but we almost never sign them. We have to get more talent before we can compete with other teams.

Ive heard the argument that Pearl with walkons and no talent won the first year he was here. I think Pearl proved something very important and that is if you have great scorers aka Lofton, Smith, Watson and great PG play aka Watson you can win no matter the talent gap. The ability to shot and score makes a coaches job so much easier. I think this speakers volumes to coach Martin. We can't shot worth crap and have very few scoters on this team, zero pure shooters, yet we still find ways to win games consistently. Guys we have had one blow out game. Every other game we have been in at the end of the game. I truly believe we'd be 10-2 right now with just one pure shooter. If we speed up the pace on offense and get Stokes to play like a 6'8" man then we are going to be fine.

I had my doudts when we first hired Coach Martin. He came from a smaller college and had a good run in the NCAA but Buzz Peterson did the same thing while at Tulsa.

Then I had more doudts when we lost to Memphis by 1 point in Hawaii. Then we lost to Austin Peay, then we lost to College of Charleston, then we had a tournament loss to M.T.S.U.

The only reason that I have any belief in Coach Martin is because he sucessfully recruited Stokes and we beat Florida last season. Other than those two things, he has not impressed me.

We seem to be on some of the major players list, but we almost never sign them. We have to get more talent before we can compete with other teams.

Martin has never been to the NCAA tourney.

a couple of good shooters would help the team tremendously,a lack of shooting consistency,is hurting the offense and run some damn zone defense every now and again :)

VN Store

Back