The Memphis Postgame Report

zjcvols

"On a Tennessee saturday night."
Staff member
1. I'm not sure how to properly describe this game because it was so crazy. Overall, Memphis' ability to get in the lane and make shots was the reason they won. Memphis forced their tempo on the Vols in the first half and it worked. That's why Memphis won.

2. After tonight's game, when Reese and Edwards get healthy, it's time to scale back McBee's minutes. I understand he's going through a tough injury, so that's why I'm not blaming him. But he cannot do anything else productive when he's not hitting shots.

3. Memphis was more athletic than UT. UT plays great D, but Memphis had too many drivers and UT just couldn't stay in front of them. When UT closed the lane, Memphis got open looks and then was able to reverse the ball when UT overclosed on defense.

4. The Bernard King Player of the Game: Josh Richardson. For all you nimrods who will criticize him over the missed dunk, nobody plays harder, he's the best leader of the team, and his defense was why UT got it down to five. Nobody played harder tonight and he played his guts out. I applaud Mr. Richardson for his incredible performance tonight. Besides, 98% of us have never dunked in our lives.

5. Tennessee outscored Memphis by 9 in the second half. Tighter defense in the first half and UT controls the game for the win. However, it's a game of two halves. You can't come out lackadaisical against a team like Memphis. They are too talented.

6. I'd also like to point out that Derek Reese and D'Montre Edwards did not play tonight. Two of the Vols' top 8 guys in the rotation. If they play tonight, UT probably wins.

7. I know Cuonzo wants to slow the pace, but he has to understand that UT needs to push the pace. I'm not asking for 1991 UNLV Runnin Rebs, but for the love of God, don't be afraid to let them in transition, especially Jordan and Josh. They are so good in transition, you can't hold them back like that.

8. Brandon Lopez deserves the starting nod over Trae Golden right now. I don't know what's going on with Trae, but he better get it fixed because Lopez' defensive intensity and calming influence on offense was a reason why UT was back in the game.

9. Jordan McRae kept UT alive tonight. Without his barrage on offense, UT loses by 30. He took good shots for the most part (desperation 3's in the last minute withstanding) he also dished out four assists. Just an incredible performance by him.

10. UT needed this win, and this loss hurts because a play or two goes our way and UT wins. However, there are some positives to take away from this game. Richardson is becoming a leader, and McRae continues to improve every game. Kenny Hall had a double double and Jarnell would have had he not picked up two fouls in the first half. The offense looked much better in the second half after taking the ball to the basket. With Cuonzo Martin, I'm not worried about the D. Memphis hit a lot of tough shots in the second half and their athleticism forced UT to take circus shots in the lane. And also, UT played maybe the 3rd bad game defensively, and the last ten minutes were much better. Take the positives from the game, improve on the defense, and go get the first SEC win on Wednesday.

Go Vols!!!:hi:

Reactions: 6 people
To all the people complaining about our slow, low-scoring, 'boring' style of play, I have one question:

Does this feel better?

Reactions: 1 person
Scored 80 points.
Cuonzo needs to watch the film and rethink his offensive scheme.
These guys can't play slow.
Entertaining game though.

Trae's playing with a bruised shoulder.

Scored 80 points.
Cuonzo needs to watch the film and rethink his offensive scheme.
These guys can't play slow.
Entertaining game though.

Right now, it's time to push the pace and let Richardson/McRae's athletic ability be the offense with Stokes as the half court option.

Reactions: 2 people
Richardson became my favorite player tonight, the kid would not quit. I hated that he missed that dunk, but he balled out in the 2nd half.

I'm with Z in that I'm not worried about our defense.

HOWEVER, if tonight's defensive performance IS an indicator rather than a fluke, I'm not sure how far we'll make it this year. I still have faith in this team, but we've gotten this far because of our defense. If it turns out we can't even rely on that anymore, then maybe we just aren't a good team.

HOWEVER, if tonight's defensive performance IS an indicator rather than a fluke, I'm not sure how far we'll make it this year. I still have faith in this team, but we've gotten this far because of our defense. If it turns out we can't even rely on that anymore, then maybe we just aren't a good team.

We won't make the tourney.

However, I'm not worried too much about the D other than against teams that have excellent rim drivers.

Unfortunately, Stokes isn't even two times better than last year. Better player development by Pastner?

Josh Richardson, Yemi Makanjoula, Jordan McRae.

Whatever. Get that lame crap out of here.

Not much you can do when the other team can't miss a shot. I have never seen so many circus shots go in. They had 2 3's at the end that are daggers.

1. I'm not sure how to properly describe this game because it was so crazy. Overall, Memphis' ability to get in the lane and make shots was the reason they won. Memphis forced their tempo on the Vols in the first half and it worked. That's why Memphis won.
2. After tonight's game, when Reese and Edwards get healthy, it's time to scale back McBee's minutes. I understand he's going through a tough injury, so that's why I'm not blaming him. But he cannot do anything else productive when he's not hitting shots.

3. Memphis was more athletic than UT. UT plays great D, but Memphis had too many drivers and UT just couldn't stay in front of them. When UT closed the lane, Memphis got open looks and then was able to reverse the ball when UT overclosed on defense.

4. The Bernard King Player of the Game: Josh Richardson. For all you nimrods who will criticize him over the missed dunk, nobody plays harder, he's the best leader of the team, and his defense was why UT got it down to five. Nobody played harder tonight and he played his guts out. I applaud Mr. Richardson for his incredible performance tonight. Besides, 98% of us have never dunked in our lives.

5. Tennessee outscored Memphis by 9 in the second half. Tighter defense in the first half and UT controls the game for the win. However, it's a game of two halves. You can't come out lackadaisical against a team like Memphis. They are too talented.

6. I'd also like to point out that Derek Reese and D'Montre Edwards did not play tonight. Two of the Vols' top 8 guys in the rotation. If they play tonight, UT probably wins.

7. I know Cuonzo wants to slow the pace, but he has to understand that UT needs to push the pace. I'm not asking for 1991 UNLV Runnin Rebs, but for the love of God, don't be afraid to let them in transition, especially Jordan and Josh. They are so good in transition, you can't hold them back like that.

8. Brandon Lopez deserves the starting nod over Trae Golden right now. I don't know what's going on with Trae, but he better get it fixed because Lopez' defensive intensity and calming influence on offense was a reason why UT was back in the game.

9. Jordan McRae kept UT alive tonight. Without his barrage on offense, UT loses by 30. He took good shots for the most part (desperation 3's in the last minute withstanding) he also dished out four assists. Just an incredible performance by him.

10. UT needed this win, and this loss hurts because a play or two goes our way and UT wins. However, there are some positives to take away from this game. Richardson is becoming a leader, and McRae continues to improve every game. Kenny Hall had a double double and Jarnell would have had he not picked up two fouls in the first half. The offense looked much better in the second half after taking the ball to the basket. With Cuonzo Martin, I'm not worried about the D. Memphis hit a lot of tough shots in the second half and their athleticism forced UT to take circus shots in the lane. And also, UT played maybe the 3rd bad game defensively, and the last ten minutes were much better. Take the positives from the game, improve on the defense, and go get the first SEC win on Wednesday.

Go Vols!!!:hi:

#1 was the reason Memphis won. They had Joe Jackson and we didn't. He owned every guard we had. Golden, McBee, Lopez, anyone. No one could stay with him. Lopez had the offense moving much better than Golden. Golden is hurting and they're not telling us something. He's gutting it out, but damn, that is 3 games in a row where he has played bad to awful after he got injured.

I didn't see an 85-80 game. Memphis had too many athletes like I thought. I thought our offensive inefficiency would doom us against a team that could get a few garbage baskets and turnovers and they got a few of them to pull away in the 1st half along with hardly missing all night long.

I hope this jump starts Richardson and McRae's offense. If Reese is out for awhile and Edwards is too, we need all the offense we can get.

I'd like to see UT play them again with a full roster of players and they have Black and see how it turns out. I don't think Memphis would hit that many shots again.

They have to win against Ole Miss. It's a must win with games at Bama and at Ky next. Lose those three and they can make their plans for the NIT.

Right now, it's time to push the pace and let Richardson/McRae's athletic ability be the offense with Stokes as the half court option.

I agree with this and Mcmiss should not see the court.
I think the slow paced off. needs to be put to bed because it sucks.

#1 was the reason Memphis won. They had Joe Jackson and we didn't. He owned every guard we had. Golden, McBee, Lopez, anyone. No one could stay with him. Lopez had the offense moving much better than Golden. Golden is hurting and they're not telling us something. He's gutting it out, but damn, that is 3 games in a row where he has played bad to awful after he got injured.

I didn't see an 85-80 game. Memphis had too many athletes like I thought. I thought our offensive inefficiency would doom us against a team that could get a few garbage baskets and turnovers and they got a few of them to pull away in the 1st half along with hardly missing all night long.

I hope this jump starts Richardson and McRae's offense. If Reese is out for awhile and Edwards is too, we need all the offense we can get.

I'd like to see UT play them again with a full roster of players and they have Black and see how it turns out. I don't think Memphis would hit that many shots again.

They have to win against Ole Miss. It's a must win with games at Bama and at Ky next. Lose those three and they can make their plans for the NIT.

Bama is free falling. If Reese and Edwards play, I like our chances against Ole Miss and Bama.

I would like to see this lineup (if possible): McRae, Richardson, Reese, Edwards, Stokes. That would help spread the floor.

Memphis is a solid team. Joe Jackson is 10x better than last year.

They have Sweet 16/Elite 8 talent. They have NIT coaching.

Pastner couldn't coach a team on defense if his life depended on it. When UT puts up 80 on you then that tells me a lot. I highly doubt we get that total again this year.

Memphis will go as far as their talent will take them. Once they match up with comparable talent and better coaching, they're done. See the Louisville game for proof.

I don't know, Memphis hit some tough shots tonight. It wasn't up to our usual standard but UM is extremely talented.

VN Store

Back