Seth Davis strikes again. He's got us missing the dance even if we beat Memphis.

utfan72408

Taking Stock, Hoop Thoughts-Style: Which teams to buy, sell and hold

by Seth Davis

Kentucky, Indiana among teams to buy in annual College Hoops Stock Report - College Basketball - Seth Davis - SI.com

TENNESSEE (8-3): SELL

I'd like to tell you that better days are ahead for the Vols, that the weakness of the SEC will allow them to rise. The truth is, this one of the most offensively challenged "good" teams I've ever seen. Cuonzo Martin has done well by using point guard Trae Golden to slow the tempo and grind out wins, but that is hard to maintain over the course of a long season. Plus, it's not clear when or if senior forward Jeronne Maymon will return after knee surgery. We'll probably know for sure either way on Monday. Even if Tennessee beats Memphis this weekend, I don't think it can win enough conference games to make the NCAA tournament.

This is why I don't like Seth Davis. I can't remember him ever giving us due credit. Remember our Elite Eight team? He didn't have us winning a game in that tournament; we were his first upset pick. Literally immediately after the bracket was released he was already spouting off about how San Diego State would beat us.

But that is neither here nor there. Seth could be right for all I know. Maybe we actually suck and we'll crash and burn in conference play. But to say we'll be 9-3 with 3 good out of conference wins heading into conference play and STILL fail to make the tournament is absurd. He clearly thinks nothing of us.

It's just one guy, and I don't care too much what any analyst says, but this sort of thing irks me a little. If he'd studied our team, he'd see that we've been playing better, improving. And the SEC is weeeeeeeeaaaaaaak. He doesn't think we can get 10-11 SEC wins?

That would be my guess. I pray I'm wrong but I just don't see any way we get good news coming out of that meeting.

This feels like a redshirt to me.

A RS sounds like good news too me. I would rather have Maymon for a full season + Hubbs + another offseason with the rest of our players...rather than Maymon for a month and half.

A RS sounds like good news too me. I would rather have Maymon for a full season + Hubbs + another offseason with the rest of our players...rather than Maymon for a month and half.

Well I agree. A redshirt isn't all bad. I just meant bad news as far as confirmation he won't play this season. I'd still been holding out hope.

It's always NEXT season with UT teams.

Reactions: 3 people
I don't think it's unrealistic to say we won't make the tournament. We're a bubble team at best right now

Reactions: 2 people
I agree with most of Seth's comments. I do think we win enough games to put us just under the bubble, but everything else he said is completely accurate. I wouldn't get too offended. He's calling it as we all see it, we just don't want to hear it.

That said, it's a long season and we got a lot of games left. We could put a serious run on the table. Winning ugly is still winning.

Taking Stock, Hoop Thoughts-Style: Which teams to buy, sell and hold

by Seth Davis

Kentucky, Indiana among teams to buy in annual College Hoops Stock Report - College Basketball - Seth Davis - SI.com

This is why I don't like Seth Davis. I can't remember him ever giving us due credit. Remember our Elite Eight team? He didn't have us winning a game in that tournament; we were his first upset pick. Literally immediately after the bracket was released he was already spouting off about how San Diego State would beat us.

But that is neither here nor there. Seth could be right for all I know. Maybe we actually suck and we'll crash and burn in conference play. But to say we'll be 9-3 with 3 good out of conference wins heading into conference play and STILL fail to make the tournament is absurd. He clearly thinks nothing of us.

It's just one guy, and I don't care too much what any analyst says, but this sort of thing irks me a little. If he'd studied our team, he'd see that we've been playing better, improving. And the SEC is weeeeeeeeaaaaaaak. He doesn't think we can get 10-11 SEC wins?

I am afraid I am going to have to agree with him. Especially if Golden is hurt. Tennessee is in for serious beat downs on the road and at home by the good teams in the conference.

It's always NEXT season with UT teams.

I don't think that way. I hate hearing people say "bench this guy, this other guy is the future, get him experience". I prefer to do anything and everything to win as many games as possible now. Obviously build for the future, but if Maymon would be able to provide more positives than negatives after not playing for months, bring him on. But if he will take half the SEC season to get back into the swing, then he needs to redshirt. This team is 8-3 without him, afterall.

If you were talking about the writers saying "next year" forget the rant. Ha ha.

Seth Davis hates us. Can't wait til Eric Berry meets him across the middle.

I get what he's saying. The SEC is weak and UT doesn't have Maymon. But we're right where we need to be, IMO.

Really? Whose side are you on? Do you agree with him? We're 8-3 you know.

Im on the side that doesn't give a damn what media members say.You guys take that way too serious. Aside from that this is the worst 8-3 team that ive seen. Stokes has been terrible so far. He has a ton of talent but hes playing like Steven Pearl. The offense is an epic fail. The defense has been very good.

I am afraid I am going to have to agree with him. Especially if Golden is hurt. Tennessee is in for serious beat downs on the road and at home by the good teams in the conference.

We have been in every single game but one. With this teams D I don't see many beat downs. I think we will be in every single game we play, even with our awful offense.

Reactions: 1 person
Xavier almost turned into a trap game.
If we follow that pattern here are some likely trap game losses down the road.

Xavier Memphis (barely survived Xavier at Home)
Alabama(A) KY
Vanderbilt(A) KY
Texas A&M(A) Florida
Auburn(A) Missouri

We have been in every single game but one. With this teams D I don't see many beat downs. I think we will be in every single game we play, even with our awful offense.

I like your optimism. However, I just don't see Tennessee's defense holding up enough to keep them in games on the road. Also, Kentucky, Florida and Missouri are going to kill us unless these guys can find some offense.

If we could somehow combine the football team offense with the basketball defense, we'd be world beaters.

Reactions: 1 person
Wonder what's happening with Maymon Monday.
Is it the sit down?

On radio this morning, Kesling said that Martin was making a redshirt decision next week. Do not see how or why he would play this year.

VN Store

Back