UT basketball ranked 17th for defense fewest ppg

zansdad

This site has a few interesting little stats in addition to a computer generated bracketology based on resumes as they currently stand. At the bottom right are some stats and Tennessee is currently ranked 17 for defense fewest ppg. Interesting to note that UT's 3 losses (games where they struggled to score) are all on here as well; at 2,10 and 18. It doesn't excuse UT's offensive struggles to date but it does give a little hope that it wasn't just UT's offense to blame for those low scoring outputs.

Also of note, Florida is #4 on this list.

Seed Madness

6th in 3 point defense

They've got 6 SEC teams currently in, and have Kentucky out, interesting.

They also have Memphis out, and Southern Miss in as the C-USA champion.

This site also has us currently projected as a #9 seed which is better than a lot of people would have put us at considering the loss of Maymon and the offensive struggles. Plus the great Kentucky is not even projected to make the tournament! Ya gotta love that!!!! GBO!!!

This site also has us currently projected as a #9 seed which is better than a lot of people would have put us at considering the loss of Maymon and the offensive struggles. Plus the great Kentucky is not even projected to make the tournament! Ya gotta love that!!!! GBO!!!

Ya as much as people were saying this team sucks, a 9 seed is looking pretty nice.

I find total ppg one of the most worthless stats in sports. Until the shot clock is figured in, it really just means you're a team that holds the ball.

Points per possession is a more accurate defensive stat.

I find total ppg one of the most worthless stats in sports. Until the shot clock is figured in, it really just means you're a team that holds the ball.

Which we're top 50 in.

Very cool site. Thanks for sharing. Hell will freeze over before the SEC gets 6 teams in and one is not UK. I know they are using the actual numbers as of today, but that is interesting.

6th in 3 point defense

They've got 6 SEC teams currently in, and have Kentucky out, interesting.

They also have Memphis out, and Southern Miss in as the C-USA champion.

3 point "defense" is somewhat of a myth. It has a lot more to do with the shooters than it does the defenders particularly compared to 2 point defense. It's mostly an indication of how well the teams you've played shoot it from 3.

3 point "defense" is somewhat of a myth. It has a lot more to do with the shooters than it does the defenders particularly compared to 2 point defense. It's mostly an indication of how well the teams you've played shoot it from 3.

I see your point, but I don't necessarily agree. There is a point in defending the 3, using fundamental basketball when you rotate in a zone or go above a ball screen on a pick to avoid the 3 point shot. Percentages go way up when a guy is wide open.

We held Xavier to 12.5% when they shoot 35%. We held Wichita State to just under their percentage of 31%. We held Georgetown to 14% when they shoot 33%. We held Virginia 12.5%. We held Oklahoma State to 23% when they shoot 32%. The only major game that I see we allowed a better percentage than their season percentage was UMass, and that was a win.

I asee your point, but I don't necessarily agree. There is a point in defending the 3, using fundamental basketball when you rotate in a zone or go above a ball screen on a pick to avoid the 3 point shot.

We held Xavier to 12.5% when they shoot 35%. We held Wichita State to just under their percentage of 31%. We held Georgetown to 14% when they shoot 33%. We held Virginia 12.5%. We held Oklahoma State to 23% when they shoot 32%. The only major game that I see we allowed a better percentage than their season percentage was UMass, and that was a win.

I agree. You can definitely see a difference in teams that defend the perimeter well and those that don't. It's not just a coincidence that all the teams you listed had bad shooting nights against us. We had something to do with that.

Playing against some poor outside shooting teams (like Tennessee) can help inflate your numbers early in the season, but unless you are a team that defends the perimeter well, that will wash out over an entire season against good perimeter teams.

I understand your point. Part of what I was pointing out was that UT's 3 really bad scoring performances were against teams that make a habit of doing that to all their opponents. Whether it's tempo, defense, or a combination of the 2 it still helps explain the Vols struggles in the 3 games. It doesn't excuse <40 performances but it does help understand them.

I see your point, but I don't necessarily agree. There is a point in defending the 3, using fundamental basketball when you rotate in a zone or go above a ball screen on a pick to avoid the 3 point shot. Percentages go way up when a guy is wide open.

Tennessee may be an anomaly. Ken Pom has written significantly on the subject and has demonstrated no correlation between a teams "3 point defense" and how a team actually shoots compared to their average.

I just think the metric isn't as significant as people think.

VN Store

Back