Some numbers...

bleedingTNorange

Tennessee numbers of 2012-2013:
64ppg/56ppg allowed

These numbers are all from the same coach at the same school over the past 5 season...they include offensive PPG, defensive PPG, their season record, and where their season ended.

2011-2012:
64ppg/53ppg allowed 26-10 Sweet 16

2010-2011:
68ppg/59ppg allowed 25-9 Sweet 16

2009-2010:
67ppg/57ppg allowed 24-9 2nd round NCAA

2008-2009:
64ppg/59ppg allowed 20-13 2nd round NCAA

2007-2008:
67ppg/54ppg allowed 31-5 Sweet 16

This is Bo Ryan from Wisconsin. Has his team in the tourney every year for the past 11 years, and all 11 years look very similar to these numbers. Wisconsin is top 10 in attendance just about every year, so don't tell me nobody enjoys watching this style.

Also, in everyone of these years his teams have had MULTIPLE games in which they've scored less than 55 points. Had a couple games a year in which they scored in the 40s, and even had a couple games in this span in the 30s.

Just thought I'd share, this system can/does win.

Reactions: 1 person
Tennessee numbers of 2012-2013:
64ppg/56ppg allowed

These numbers are all from the same coach at the same school over the past 5 season...they include offensive PPG, defensive PPG, their season record, and where their season ended.

2011-2012:
64ppg/53ppg allowed 26-10 Sweet 16

2010-2011:
68ppg/59ppg allowed 25-9 Sweet 16

2009-2010:
67ppg/57ppg allowed 24-9 2nd round NCAA

2008-2009:
64ppg/59ppg allowed 20-13 2nd round NCAA

2007-2008:
67ppg/54ppg allowed 31-5 Sweet 16

This is Bo Ryan from Wisconsin. Has his team in the tourney every year for the past 11 years, and all 11 years look very similar to these numbers. Wisconsin is top 10 in attendance just about every year, so don't tell me nobody enjoys watching this style.

Also, in everyone of these years his teams have had MULTIPLE games in which they've scored less than 55 points. Had a couple games a year in which they scored in the 40s, and even had a couple games in this span in the 30s.

Just thought I'd share, this system can/does win.

Good info but we are hard to watch sometimes. 7 and 8 minute droughts without a bucket are making me lose my hair. However, this is the type of team no one wants to play in the tourney.

Teams win games like we won today in the NCAA tourney. Offense is fun to watch, but rarely do those type of teams go very far in the NCAA tourney. You better play defense or you'll get exposed. However, we have to make the dance first.

Teams win games like we won today in the NCAA tourney. Offense is fun to watch, but rarely do those type of teams go very far in the NCAA tourney. You better play defense or you'll get exposed. However, we have to make the dance first.

There's nothing wrong with scoring points AND playing good defense. You can do both. Also, you don't have to limit opponent scoring to the 50's to be considered good defensive teams. Our pitiful offensive tempo contributes to our defensive numbers as much as our actual defense does. If we were scoring in the mid-70's on offense due to increased tempo, our opponents are most likely going to score more points due to an increase in possessions.

While I don't mind the comparison, it should be noted that Wisconsin's low point totals are mostly by design and UT's have come from terrible shooting performances.

There's nothing wrong with scoring points AND playing good defense. You can do both. Also, you don't have to limit opponent scoring to the 50's to be considered good defensive teams. Our pitiful offensive tempo contributes to our defensive numbers as much as our actual defense does. If we were scoring in the mid-70's on offense due to increased tempo, our opponents are most likely going to score more points due to an increase in possessions.

We are top 40 nationally in fg% defense and top 5 nationally in 3pt fg%. 2 defensive stats that aren't really effected by pace of play like PPG is.

You need the players to score points and right now we don't have that consistent outside shooter to get teams out of a zone and we don't have a PG that can figure out a zone. Lopez made strides today and I'd play him more against a zone than I would Golden. Reese may prove to be a boost to our offense too. It was one game, but damn, 7 points and 2 huge 3's after not playing in a game in a long time.

We got beat on the boards 44-28, we were down 10 at one point in the second half, our teams two leading scorers coming into the game combined for 11 points (with all 5 of Trae Golden's points coming from the FT line on intentional fouls), we shot 15% from deep and 62% from the charity stripe and we still won the game.

Let me repeat....we still won.

I agree with Chris that there isn't any reason you can't have both a good offense and defense, but our defense is damn good. We play the type of defense that would allow us to beat literally anyone in the country if we just get lucky and a handfull of 3 pointers fall.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
While I don't mind the comparison, it should be noted that Wisconsin's low point totals are mostly by design and UT's have come from terrible shooting performances.

Interesting thing is Wisconsin shot 42% from the field last year, same percentage as UT this year. They have been around 43-44% every other year in the span I broke down.

We are top 40 nationally in fg% defense and top 5 nationally in 3pt fg%. 2 defensive stats that aren't really effected by pace of play like PPG is.

You misinterpreted my post. I was simply saying we can be good at both ends of the court. Right now we suffer on the offensive end because of our tempo. I wasn't suggesting that our defense being good, nor the numbers were the result of our offensive tempo.

You misinterpreted my post. I was simply saying we can be good at both ends of the court. Right now we suffer on the offensive end because of our tempo. I wasn't suggesting that our defense being good, nor the numbers were the result of our offensive tempo.

Oh ok, my apologies.

haha yeah I was going to mention that too. That Wisconsin offense is designed to go late into the shot clock while we just end up late into the shot clock because we literally just can't find a shot. I will say that last year we would just get careless and jack up awful contested 3 pointers (cough Jordan cough) early in the possesion, but we seem to have matured past that a bit which is a HUGE relief and has really helped with the pace of the game.

You need the players to score points and right now we don't have that consistent outside shooter to get teams out of a zone and we don't have a PG that can figure out a zone. Lopez made strides today and I'd play him more against a zone than I would Golden. Reese may prove to be a boost to our offense too. It was one game, but damn, 7 points and 2 huge 3's after not playing in a game in a long time.

The not understanding a zone is disappointing. One of my big criticisms early last year as we looked awful against a zone. I grew up playing basketball and my Dad coached me. I amounted to nothing more than playing pickup several times a week at the bubble while at UT and being able to shoot the 3. As my Dad and I discussed recently you can teach middle schoolers how to break a zone. It is fundamental basketball. Don't understand why we struggle.

We got beat on the boards 44-28, we were down 10 at one point in the second half, our teams two leading scorers coming into the game combined for 11 points (with all 5 of Trae Golden's points coming from the FT line on intentional fouls), we shot 15% from deep and 62% from the charity stripe and we still won the game.

I agree with Chris that there isn't any reason you can't have both a good offense and defense, but our good defense is damn good. We play the type of defense that would allow us to beat literally anyone in the country if we just get lucky and handfull of 3 pointers fall.

Losing the board battle that bad usually gets you beat. Most of those boards led to second chance points for X. The stretch where we held Xavier to no buckets for almost 10 minutes in the 2nd half was the difference along with the bench play. That's the most exciting thing about today's win. The bench won it for them.

I agree with Chris that there isn't any reason you can't have both a good offense and defense, but our defense is damn good. We play the type of defense that would allow us to beat literally anyone in the country if we just get lucky and handfull of 3 pointers fall.

I agree with 100% of this post. We are 8-3 with an opportunity to go 9-3 with a win against Memphis on Friday. We win 12 more games regardless of what happens against Memphis and we are in the dance. I don't get all the negativity, maybe I am just optimistic. I have said it before I will say it again, with or without Maymon this is a tournament team.

I agree. Lopez has a much better understanding of how to facilitate an offense than Golden, likely from it being his natural position and the one he played in HS (Golden having been a 2G in HS). Reese played well offensively because two of his shots fell at critical times, and they were three's. Otherwise, he was 2-8 from the field. He needs to be more efficient, especially in this offense.

We struggle to score, so defensive efforts like this are paramount every night, even against patsies.

Losing the board battle that bad usually gets you beat. Most of those boards led to second chance points for X. The stretch where we held Xavier to no buckets for almost 10 minutes in the 2nd half was the difference along with the bench play. That's the most exciting thing about today's win. The bench won it for them.

What is frustrating is that we had at least 3 possessions being down 33-31 and I thought we were not going to get over the hump. You have to capitalize on 2-3 good defensive stops because you just can't stop every team 6 straight times down the court.

I agree. Lopez has a much better understanding of how to facilitate an offense than Golden, likely from it being his natural position and the one he played in HS (Golden having been a 2G in HS). Reese played well offensively because two of his shots fell at critical times, and they were three's. Otherwise, he was 2-8 from the field. He needs to be more efficient, especially in this offense.

We struggle to score, so defensive efforts like this are paramount every night, even against patsies.

He took some quick shots in the 1st half, but I'll take his 2-6 from 3 point land vs the rest of the team that went a combined 1-14. That's atrocious. McBee missed way too many wide open 3's.

The not understanding a zone is disappointing. One of my big criticisms early last year as we looked awful against a zone. I grew up playing basketball and my Dad coached me. I amounted to nothing more than playing pickup several times a week at the bubble while at UT and being able to shoot the 3. As my Dad and I discussed recently you can teach middle schoolers how to break a zone. It is fundamental basketball. Don't understand why we struggle.

It starts by walking it up, then walking it slowly into the offense. That lets them set up and shrinks our clock as we pass it 30 feet from the goal. Then add that we don't have a penetrating pg or sg, along with noone that can come to the ft line to get the ball and either take it to the rim or kick it back out.
We need a Tyler smith or Ron slay type player that can do damage there and we can't even get someone to flash to the spot or get him the ball if open.

It starts by walking it up, then walking it slowly into the offense. That lets them set up and shrinks our clock as we pass it 30 feet from the goal. Then add that we don't have a penetrating pg or sg, along with noone that can come to the ft line to get the ball and either take it to the rim or kick it back out.
We need a Tyler smith or Ron slay type player that can do damage there and we can't even get someone to flash to the spot or get him the ball if open.

This is where we really miss Maymon. He was a point forward and the offense went through him. That is one of the reason's we look so damn lost on offense.

Yep the high post is always your friend in a standard 2-3. The baseline is helpful too if you have someone that penetrate. Why can't we use Hall at the high post? Or now use Reese? They both can hit that shot when open and then either find Stokes low or kick to the wing. Just don't understand.

haha yeah I was going to mention that too. That Wisconsin offense is designed to go late into the shot clock while we just end up late into the shot clock because we literally just can't find a shot. I will say that last year we would just get careless and jack up awful contested 3 pointers (cough Jordan cough) early in the possesion, but we seem to have matured past that a bit which is a HUGE relief and has really helped with the pace of the game.

Not trying to argue this honestly, just looking a numbers...but it seems your suggesting Wisconsin by design goes late into shot clock, so they take fewer shots, and more high percentage shots. Meanwhile, our low scoring is from jacking up bad shots or missing shots.

While according to the numbers...Wisconsin actually attempts more shots a game than we do. Our fg% are almost identical going off of theirs last year.

Just thought that was interesting.

Here is another fun stat for you guys:

We scored 41 points from the field.........19 of those points came off turnovers

roughly half

VN Store

Back