Questions for the basketball experts

mtvols

I haven't seen every game this year, but enough to have some questions about our season thus far.

1. Jimmy Dykes said we were one of the worst 3 point shooting teams in the country. What happened, because we weren't this bad last year?

2. I understand Stokes is getting double teamed, but only 3 shots tonight? He's had several games with very few shots. It seems that CCM should force the ball inside and demand that he get shots or at least get fouled.

3. I'm not impressed with Hall and Yemi plays his tail off. At what point does Yemi get to start over Hall?

4. Does Lopez continue to get minutes as the backup PG?

I haven't seen every game this year, but enough to have some questions about our season thus far.

1. Jimmy Dykes said we were one of the worst 3 point shooting teams in the country. What happened, because we weren't this bad last year?

2. I understand Stokes is getting double teamed, but only 3 shots tonight? He's had several games with very few shots. It seems that CCM should force the ball inside and demand that he get shots or at least get fouled.

3. I'm not impressed with Hall and Yemi plays his tail off. At what point does Yemi get to start over Hall?

1. Last year was different because teams had to respect Maymon and Stokes in the post. Left more open looks for our perimeter shots.

2. Hard to shoot from the bench. CCM put Stokes on the bench due to his lack of effort and it probably won the game for us as Hall and Yemi played great. The team that got us back into the game Lopez, Yemi, Hall, Reese and McRae played great. We probably lose if CCM doesn't make that move.

3. Lopez is a decent PG and penetrates better than Golden. He's limited offensively but if he can play D and pass the ball I think he should see more and more PT

1. Streaky shooters that are off at the same time currently. Most of their 3's are taken in the first half while they stand around trying to figure things out. Reese will help this - natural stroke.
2. Stokes doesn't have Maymon to set him up for offense. None of the others have any chemistry with him. Stokes is not developed enough to create on his own.
3. Hall played far better than Stokes tonight and is improving on both ends of the court. Yemi deserves even more minutes. They should come from Stokes if he doesn't get the message and lift his game.
4. Yes. 10-12 would be perfect. He feeds the others well with few TO's and is very good on D.

1. We miss too many.

2. Stokes just has 1 year under his belt. Catches and holds it. He'll get better. Will never dominate the 5, too short.

3. Prob not this year.

4. Yes.

I don't agree on hall. He'll make a play or two of course, but too many bad ones. Two plays come into mind. A lazy and bad technique closeout that led to a rim attack, and blocking his man out instead of helping on Jordan's man on a rotation. Guy is shooting a finger roll and Hall is boxing his man out instead of stepping up. He does that type of thing all the time. He also posts in a way that makes him about 6'5, and was worn out tonight by the same move on at least 3 occasions on isolation plays.

1. We miss too many.

2. Stokes just has 1 year under his belt. Catches and holds it. He'll get better. Will never dominate the 5, too short.

3. Prob not this year.

4. Yes.

6' 8" is too short? I'm pretty sure strength dominates at the position and he's as strong as an ox. Maymon is the only thing keeping him from being dominant.

I'm going to disagree on Hall too. He had a good stretch there in the 2nd half where he made a basket and had one roll off, but he has way too many lapses for a Sr. He should be much better at this point in his career.

He played 20 min and had 4 points, 4 boards, 2 blocks and no turnovers. The turnovers are big because he's usually a turnover machine.

Yemi played 9 min and had 2 points, 8 boards, 1 block, but 3 turnovers. He also had 4 fouls. If he could cut down on his fouling, he'd be getting more minutes.

We must be watching two different players. I can't stand it when he's on the floor over Yemi.

I think people remember that baseline jumper and a rebound and putback on the same end and don't see the missed assignments and overall laziness during most of the game.

6' 8" is too short? I'm pretty sure strength dominates at the position and he's as strong as an ox. Maymon is the only thing keeping him from being dominant.

He and Maymon both are too short; struggle against big teams. They both have heft, but both lack length (wing span).

I think people remember that baseline jumper and a rebound and putback on the same end and don't see the missed assignments and overall laziness during most of the game.

I agree that Hall has poor showings and can be lazy. But the offensive rebound tonight was huge. He is what he is and we have to play him. Yemi plays better defense and rebounds, but Hall is more polished offensively and can hit an outside shot. We have to play him so folks should just deal with it the rest if the year.

As far as offense, Stokes has to work harder for the ball. I also noticed that we were swinging the ball to the opposite if Stokes' side. I don't understand that. Trae is just slow footed, and unfortunately there are just so few times that he can beat his man off the dribble. Our offense should be clear- post up Stokes, use McRae and Richardson as slashers, and let Trae, Reese, and McBee spot up. Trae does need to get to the line. But for this team to win consistently McRae needs to be aggressive, Trae and McBee need to hit about a half dozen outside shots, and Stokes just needs to rebound and average about 10-12 points. JMO.

Mayman unfortunately is probably one of the best, if not the best passer on the team. He would often draw two and then dish to Stokes or someone else. Our guards are not prone to pass although Lopez does distribute far better than Golden. Golden, McRae are looking to always shoot first pass second when they are dribbling and penetrating - a good guard should be open to either/or imo.

like was stated above,if Yemi could stay out of foul trouble and get more playing time,i would think his offense would come around

He and Maymon both are too short; struggle against big teams. They both have heft, but both lack length (wing span).

Ask the bigs from Uconn how they struggle against big teams. Drummond is a physical freak and NBA rookie of the year candidate and Stokes absolutely dominated him last year.

6'8" is too short for a 5. Can be a strong contributor, but not dominate.

Ask the bigs from Uconn how they struggle against big teams. Drummond is a physical freak and NBA rookie of the year candidate and Stokes absolutely dominated him last year.

Exactly. I don't recall Maymon struggling against anyone last season. Guy was solid as they come.

Jimmy Dykes is right. We have often fell behind at the beginning of many games by starting the game jacking up 3's. Driving to the basket should consistently be our game. Good things come when Trae, Josh, McRae consistently drive to the basket. Skylar McBee was dubbed this summer as the best 3 point shooter in the nation. I had hoped that he had finally turned the corner. But, unforturnately he hasn't. I for one will be glad when he graduates. Hubbs will be a tremendous upgrade.

Our guards are terrible at passing. It's difficult for them to pass the ball inside. Many times it leads to turnovers. Stokes is very frustrated right now. When he works hard to get open we either turn it over trying to pass it to him or just don't all together. The few times he does get the ball down low, he's double teamed.

Yemi is like a bull in a China shop. He's the hardest worker on the team. Best rebounder that we have IMO. He is a fouling machine though. His minutes pretty much are dictated by his fouling.

I hope CCM continues to give Armani the opportunity for back up pg. I think he has a big upside. Can be a defensive nightmare for the opposing team. He's so big and strong and is still able to stay in front of the small quick guards. But, if he can't cut down on his turnovers, then Lopez may get a few minutes at back up pg.

Jimmy Dykes is right. We have often fell behind at the beginning of many games by starting the game jacking up 3's. Driving to the basket should consistently be our game. Good things come when Trae, Josh, McRae consistently drive to the basket. Skylar McBee was dubbed this summer as the best 3 point shooter in the nation. I had hoped that he had finally turned the corner. But, unforturnately he hasn't. I for one will be glad when he graduates. Hubbs will be a tremendous upgrade.
McRae being the worst offender.
Starting to believe he doesn't like the contact.
May be taking a pussy pill before the game and a Martin finger down the throat gets him going end of first half every game.
Example: 3 men down court on the fast break. Puny pg in front of him and he dishes to the wide open McBee who misses the 3. Hope his ears were burning.

McRae being the worst offender.
Starting to believe he doesn't like the contact.
May be taking a pussy pill before the game and a Martin finger down the throat gets him going end of first half every game.
Example: 3 men down court on the fast break. Puny pg in front of him and he dishes to the wide open McBee who misses the 3. Hope his ears were burning.

Well, I agree that that was a stupid play. He should have taken the ball to the basket. He wasn't going to get blocked. Worst that would have happened was a foul. But there are other weaknesses on this team far greater than McRae. I've really not been disappointed in his play. I'd be happier if he would drive more instead of settling on a 3. He's an excellent ft shooter and can help this team that struggles to score at the ft line.

Well, I agree that that was a stupid play. He should have taken the ball to the basket. He wasn't going to get blocked. Worst that would have happened was a foul. But there are other weaknesses on this team far greater than McRae. I've really not been disappointed in his play. I'd be happier if he would drive more instead of settling on a 3. He's an excellent ft shooter and can help this team that struggles to score at the ft line.
I agree.
Was it you making the comments about our nonexistent spacing? One of the reason's Stokes is having so many problems.
Thought that was spot on.

Stokes is better suited for the 4. It would work out for him at the 5 at his size is he could jump higher and was more athletic. This has been beaten into the ground, but having Maymon out there would solve most of Stokes' problems on offense. Either that, or having a true 5 man like a Brian Williams to clear the lane and give Stokes room to operate. That was Williams' great strength. He'd put in butt into the defense and clear a path for the cutters. Hall can't do that, and Yemi isn't there yet.

Cuonzo's most important, remaining move for this signing class would be to get a big body exclusively for that purpose. We don't have the numbers, but maybe he'll pull another Washpun. If I were Brandon Lopez, though, I'd want that scholly for myself. He'll deserve it if he continues to play like he is now. I doubt Landry will automatically come in and contribute like Lopez is. Brandon's playing like you'd expect a backup to play after his second year in the program, except he's paying his way through school. Needs to be on scholarship if his role stays as is.

Stokes is better suited for the 4. It would work out for him at the 5 at his size is he could jump higher and was more athletic. This has been beaten into the ground, but having Maymon out there would solve most of Stokes' problems on offense. Either that, or having a true 5 man like a Brian Williams to clear the lane and give Stokes room to operate. That was Williams' great strength. He'd put in butt into the defense and clear a path for the cutters. Hall can't do that, and Yemi isn't there yet.

Cuonzo's most important, remaining move for this signing class would be to get a big body exclusively for that purpose.
Could be the reason he's still looking at Keanau Post (JUCO).
Think some of our 2/3s will exit in the off season. too many to get playing time with Hubbs coming.

VN Store

Back