McRae comfortable as reserve point guard

I got no problem with this. If Goldenw as to go down then I would. I actually like Richardson bringing the ball up more than McRae. He's quick off of screens, has three range and can slash. I want a guy like that on the wing or coming out of the paint or something.

Too much stock is put into the position names. Correct me if I'm wrong, but there is very little difference between PG, SG, and SF in our system right now.

Reactions: 2 people
Too much stock is put into the position names. Correct me if I'm wrong, but there is very little difference between PG, SG, and SF in our system right now.

I thought you was crazy when I first read this comment but then I thought about it and your 100% correct. I say just put it in your best play makers hands and let things happen. :salute:

Maybe once it is across half court but someone still has to bring it up against pressure. I can still remember McRae dribbling into 2 traps in the back court vs WSU and CCM having to call timeouts to prevent turnovers. I also remember 5 turnovers vs WCU. A couple of those were just lazy passes.

I do agree with you to an extent. I think having which ever of McBee, McRae, and Richardson has the least pressure on them bring it up is the best idea. Once they are in the half court it doesn't really matter, the action should be the same. If the other team wants to put their best on ball defender on McRae in the back court, then McRae should give the ball up to Richardson and let him bring it up. If they are going to go backup-by-committee they are going to have to be smart about it.

Also, this is the guy I slammed in the pre-season about being factually incorrect when he stated Maymon had 2 bad knees in Maui last year. A couple of us had a long discussion/argument (cough, BTO, cough, cough) about how I just jumped on this guy. Well from this article:

"It’s look more and more like preseason All-SEC forward Jeronne Maymon is going to redshirt, though no official announcement has come from Tennessee. He would be able to come back for a sixth season even though he used a redshirt year after he transferred from Marquette as a freshman"

As I said the first time around, this guy is getting bad information somewhere and just putting it out as fact. Not trying to dig up old stuff, just pointing out that this guy doesn't always seem to have all the facts. :good!:

edit: maybe slammed is to strong a word. I merely commented on it and it got turned in to way more than it was.

Also, this is the guy I slammed in the pre-season about being factually incorrect when he stated Maymon had 2 bad knees in Maui last year. A couple of us had a long discussion/argument (cough, BTO, cough, cough) about how I just jumped on this guy. Well from this article:

"It’s look more and more like preseason All-SEC forward Jeronne Maymon is going to redshirt, though no official announcement has come from Tennessee. He would be able to come back for a sixth season even though he used a redshirt year after he transferred from Marquette as a freshman"

As I said the first time around, this guy is getting bad information somewhere and just putting it out as fact. Not trying to dig up old stuff, just pointing out that this guy doesn't always seem to have all the facts. :good!:

edit: maybe slammed is to strong a word. I merely commented on it and it got turned in to way more than it was.

I remember lol.

I continue to be amazed at the poor writers that have and do cover the basketball team. Quinn seems to be pretty good, but even he's lost a lot and makes quite a few simple errors.

IMO guys allowed access to the team like these reporters are should be much more knowledgable about the team than posters on VN. Yet there's a handful of posters on here IMO who I think know more about this team than many of the guys who write about the team.

I remember lol.

I continue to be amazed at the poor writers that have and do cover the basketball team. Quinn seems to be pretty good, but even he's lost a lot and makes quite a few simple errors.

IMO guys allowed access to the team like these reporters are should be much more knowledgable about the team than posters on VN. Yet there's a handful of posters on here IMO who I think know more about this team than many of the guys who write about the team.

What kills me about the Maymon redshirting comment is that it's wrong on at least 3 levels.
1) as a guy who covers UT, he should be aware that Maymon never redshirted.
2) as a guy that covers NCAA basketball, he should be aware that mid-term transfers cannot take a redshirt during the 1 year they have to sit out.
3) as a guy that covers NCAA sports in general, he should know that a 6th year is not guarenteed and a waiver has to be applied for after this seaon is completed. (a player with Maymon's situation, had he actually redshirted, would likely receive the waiver but a good reporter should mention its necessity)

Honestly I don't feel comfortable with anyone not named Trae Golden bringing the ball down the court.

I liked when we used to beat pressure by letting Tobias bring the ball up a few years back, but I don't think we have a big guy that could handle the ball as well and as intelligently as he could.

I guess this just means we are 0-2 in getting point guards. Washpun and Moore were bad evaluations by the staff.

I guess this just means we are 0-2 in getting point guards. Washpun and Moore were bad evaluations by the staff.

not so fast my friend. Moore has plenty of potential with his size, quickness and defensive ability, but he just needs some time to develop better ball handling.

What kills me about the Maymon redshirting comment is that it's wrong on at least 3 levels.
1) as a guy who covers UT, he should be aware that Maymon never redshirted.
2) as a guy that covers NCAA basketball, he should be aware that mid-term transfers cannot take a redshirt during the 1 year they have to sit out.
3) as a guy that covers NCAA sports in general, he should know that a 6th year is not guarenteed and a waiver has to be applied for after this seaon is completed. (a player with Maymon's situation, had he actually redshirted, would likely receive the waiver but a good reporter should mention its necessity)

This needs to be emailed to his editor, for real.

Honestly I don't feel comfortable with anyone not named Trae Golden bringing the ball down the court.

I liked when we used to beat pressure by letting Tobias bring the ball up a few years back, but I don't think we have a big guy that could handle the ball as well and as intelligently as he could.

Another area we miss Maymon, we used him in that role a lot last year.

I remember lol.

I said it a couple months ago - Mike Griffith was solid as the bball beat guy. Quinn's okay, but I'm starting to like him less and less. He hasn't even written a story in almost a week. You never hear anything from him regarding practices. Some of that's probably dictated by his bosses, but I'd like to hear some behind the scenes as opposed to only having the opportunity to read game previews and wrap ups. I can watch the games and develop my own opinions about what I've seen. I can't attend practices and interview the staff/players. Coverage of this basketball team has been pitiful.

I said it a couple months ago - Mike Griffith was solid as the bball beat guy. Quinn's okay, but I'm starting to like him less and less. He hasn't even written a story in almost a week. You never hear anything from him regarding practices. Some of that's probably dictated by his bosses, but I'd like to hear some behind the scenes as opposed to only having the opportunity to read game previews and wrap ups. I can watch the games and develop my own opinions about what I've seen. I can't attend practices and interview the staff/players. Coverage of this basketball team has been pitiful.

Agree 100%

I have hopes that Moore can eventually play somewhere on the wing, so not a complete waste, but I do think that they could have found a better PG somewhere than trying to convert a kid out of high school.

I have hopes that Moore can eventually play somewhere on the wing, so not a complete waste, but I do think that they could have found a better PG somewhere than trying to convert a kid out of high school.

I still wish we'd have taken Fabyon instead of Moore.

I was thinking of that guy but couldn't remember his name.

Really think we could use him.

Quick as lightning so golden could guard 2s and Harris could guard quick PGs. He'd be able to play backup PG minutes when golden needed a rest and would handle it well. Also shooting almost 45% from deep so far this year, we could sure use that.

VN Store

Back