APG: Xavier (13) UT (11)
SPG:Xavier (5) UT(4)
BPG: UT (3) Xavier (2)
TPG: UT (12) Xavier (12)
FG %: Xavier (.485) UT (.426)
FT %: UT (.682) Xavier (.676)
3P %: Xavier (.364) UT (.296)

Projected Starting Line Up

G - Semaj Christon - 6'3, 187 lb FR (14.2 ppg, 5.5 apg)
G - Dee Davis - 6'0, 161 lb SO. (10.8 ppg, .468 fg%)
F - Justin Martin - 6'6, 205 lb SO (10.3 ppg, 4.8 rpg)
F - Travis Taylor - 6'8, 216 lb SR (11.2 ppg, 7.2 rpg)
F - Isaiah Philmore - 6'8, 236 lb JR (6.1 ppg, 5.6 rpg)

Program History
- 2 Elite 8's (2004 and 2008)
- 6 Sweet 16's ('90, '04, '08, '09, '10, '12)
- 23 NCAA Tournaments (7 Straight)
- 17 Conference Regular Season Titles
- 10 Conference Tournament Titles
- 36 NBA Draft Picks
- 17 All Americans
- Former coaches include: Pete Gillen, Skip Prosser, Thad Matta and Sean Miller.

Against Tennessee
4-10 (UT Leads - 6-1 Home, 3-3 away, 1-0 Neutral)
- Tennessee has won the last three meetings
- UT won last meeting 82-75 in Cinci (12/22/07)

Interesting to Note
- Christon, Xaviers best player and freshman PG, minus the Cinci game, has been fire away from the Cintas Center. He torched Purdue for 25 in his first true road game of the season. He's struggled some in the last two games though.
- Xavier is a second half team. They are 4-1 when trailing at the half.

add whatever you feel. Busy day so didn't have much time going through everything. Would like to note that if we don't struggle shooting an outside shot tonight, we should beat Xavier pretty easily. I expect to see a ton of zone and plenty of screens on offense. Xavier is a proud team with a proud tradition. Beating them, even if they are down compared to recent years, would likely do wonders for this teams confidence. GBO!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
Good stuff, Shaun, thanks.

Kinda worries me that they're more of a 2nd half team. If we don't (to take from one of Neyland's Maxims) carry the fight and keep it there the whole 40 minutes, I think they may take this one from us.

wow, are we really shooting less than 30% from 3?

Yes, which is one of the big reasons our offense looks so bad or low scoring.

Martin's teams typically shot close to 40% from 3, and 45% from the field...if we were doing that we'd be scoring in the 70s. It's really simple, but a lot of our problems are simply making shots.

Martin's teams typically shot close to 40% from 3, and 45% from the field...if we were doing that we'd be scoring in the 70s. It's really simple, but a lot of our problems are simply making shots.

I'd like to know the home/away percentages. I feel like I see a lot more 3's fall in TBA than on the road

Part of learning our identity.
We're not a perimeter shooting team.
Need to turn a lot of the 3 pt atts into trips to the paint and post feeds.
That in itself would raise the averages.

Exactly why Xavier will zone us a lot we can hit some shots. I don't worry much about defense as long as we attack. They'll screen enough but as long as we own the boards and hit some outside shots, no reason we shouldn't run away with this one.

we depend on the 3 to much to get us started why not work stokes if he is to be all that

Part of learning our identity.
We're not a perimeter shooting team.
Need to turn a lot of the 3 pt atts into trips to the paint and post feeds.
That in itself would raise the averages.

I like jordy's comments in that article you linked. Said trae was the only one driving and drawing fouls, himself (McRae) and Richardson need to do that, and Mcbee needs to be the one knocking down 3's.

Probably a nice way of putting it.

Skylar has been very disappointing, 33% on the year. 34% at home and 31% on the road.

Well, we all wanted him to be more consistent. :p

I really wonder how much the elbow injury is affecting him. It has to hurt to shoot even if the injury doesn't technically impact his ability to shot (if that makes any sense).

Last edited:
I am not telling anyone anything they don't already know, but beating Xavier would be big. This is a good non-con opponent that almost always wins their league and routinely makes the tourney. UT has avoided any burtal losses that really hurt our résumé thus far and a win against Xavier and Memphis in back to back games coming up at home would just be fantastic for us and our chances at the tourney.

Is there a specific point to this observation?

Obviously, those numbers quantify the current relative standings of the two teams in regard to RPI and SOS; a point of reference for anyone who cares. Couldn’t be any more explicit than that.

Well, we all wanted him to be more consistent. :p

I really wonder how much the elbow injury is affecting him. It has to hurt to shoot even if the injury doesn't technically impact his ability to shot (if that makes any sense).

I've been wondering this too.

If his percentages remain in the low 30s I expect his minutes to drop.

If dmontre picks up the defensive awareness I think his minutes go up, he's our best perimeter shooter so far at 42% on the year.

Last edited:
I've been wondering this too.

If his percentages remain in the low 30s I expect his minutes to drop.

If dmontre picks up the defensive awareness I think his minutes go up, he's our best perimeter shooter so far at 42% on the year.

Is Skylar's defense that much better than Edwards? If Skylar is going to continue to struggle doing the one thing he is supposed to do for the team, then I would like to see Edwards get more of the minutes.

Seth Davis predicts a 70-65 win

Xavier (7-4) at Tennessee (7-3)
Don't look now but the Gang That Can't Shoot Straight has reeled off three straight wins, including one over ranked-but-injury-riddled Wichita State. Meanwhile, Xavier, which gave off some good vibes by beating Butler in its second game, has now lost three out of four, having followed up its disappointing showing against Cincinnati by losing to Wofford at home. These are two teams going in different directions, and I don't anticipate either one changing course.

Read More: Missouri-UCLA, Louisville-Kentucky and more weekend hoops picks - College Basketball - Seth Davis - SI.com

VN Store

Back