Stokely Memories

Teeman

I am sad to see Stokely AC go. I have many fond memories of the place. I picked up my class schedules and had ROTC classes there. I took girlfriends to see Sting and Tina Turner. I saw Dale Ellis and Charles Barkley play under a fog of cigarette smoke that always hung from the rafters. I would have loved to have seen the Ernie and Bernie show. I made the transition to TB, but it was never the same. Anyone care to share their memories?

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
I saw the very last basketball game played in the bldg.UT vs Uga ...also saw stevie ray vaughn and REM under a fog of smoke.I'll allways have good memories of Tennessee and knoxville. Hope to catch a game or two this upcoming season.

Reactions: 1 person
Defeating the mighty Kentucky Wildcats in 1980 in a game the Vols played without Reggie Johnson and Chuck Threeths who were temporarily suspended earlier that week. Kentucky only had one loss and that was to top ranked Duke. Kevin Nash, Howard Wood, and a walk-on point guard named Ralph Parton led the Vols to victory.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Defeating the mighty Kentucky Wildcats in 1980 in a game the Vols played without Reggie Johnson and Chuck Threeths who were temporarily suspended earlier that week. Kentucky only had one loss and that was to top ranked Duke. Kevin Nash, Howard Wood, and a walk-on point guard named Ralph Parton led the Vols to victory.

Kevin Nash- I guess they turned their back on the wolfpac and wound up in a bodybag.

I was there, too, as a student on row seven. Kentucky had the vaunted "twin towers" of Melvin Turpin and Sam Bowie. Both were over seven feet tall. No one thought we had a chance and we still won.

Not my only memory of Stokley, though. My first game was against Mississippi State in 1972 at the age of 11. Saw Bernie and Ernie many times.

When I was a student I saw the improbable run to an SEC title in 1982. Tennessee was undefeated at home against Kentucky while I was a student there. In those days, our big hoops rivals were Kentucky, Vanderbilt, Alabama and LSU, in that order. Every time we played these teams the action was intense.

I will miss it.

Reactions: 2 people
Class schedules, Mil Sci classes, graduation, many, many b-ball games, The Eagles and Buffett concerts. Great, great place, hate to see it go.

Never got to see a game there, but that was ALWAYS my family's pre-game stop on Football Saturdays. Great place to get out of the weather, take a leak, walk around and see the old pictures on the wall, even fight the crowds in the team store, all while waiting for the Pride to line up and march to the stadium.

Glad I got to work there as well while interning in the athletic department in the early 2000's. Seems like I spent more time in that building than in my classes, haha! I always thought the building could have been converted into a BADASS hockey venue...an ultra throwback similar to Michigan's Yost Arena. The interior layout was perfect for that.

:salute:

I remember the chants of "Sit Joe Sit" when playing UK and "Sit Hugh Sit" when playing UGA. Michael Brooks from "The Tennessee River!"

The '84 UK game (I believe) when they had Bowie, Perkins, and Kenny "Sky" Walker. I was sitting on the floor at the corner of the baseline. UT won and they announced that I-75 was closed at Jellico Mtn. Just a little more salt for the UK fans.

Concerts: Bon Jovi, Huey Lewis, and a few others. Interesting venue for concerts.

The Ernie and Bernie Show was incredible. I also watched Bernie play against the Celtics in the old Boston Gardens while I was stationed at Fort Devens, MA. I don't remember which team he played for, but I think it may have been Philly. Anyway, he had a presence on the hardwood!

GBO!!!

I used to play pick-up basketball there against Al Wilson, Ronnie Pillow, and Shawn Summers

Saw several games there with my dad back in the late 60's to early 70's. One I will always remember (not sure of the year) the Vols played LSU with Pistol Pete. We won, but he still scored about 30, as I recall.

i had the chanch to sell a bunch of games at Stokely from 1979 till the last game against uga and at half time the hottest looking vol cheerleader i ever saw came up and sat beside me but only because her mom and dad where beside of us.There where alot of great games i saw there against ky and i saw howard wood hit a long jumper at the buzzer to beat american university and dale ellis have some great games.and a host of other good players.

:rock:The first game I saw at Stokely was in 1974, Ernie and Bernie lit up Army for 50 between them and we won 99 to 69. THE GOOD OLD DAYS

Favorite Stokely memory ever was vs Kentucky in the what amounted to the championship game in '77. (They actually tied at 16-2 but the Vols won because we beat the Cats twice). In sort of a role reversal, King led the Vols scoring while Ernie at 6'6" dominated the boards against the 6'10" twin towers from Kentucky, Robey and Phillips. They also had Goose Givens. We won 81 -79 coming back from down 11. The Sentinel carried a pic the next day of Coach Joe Hall with his arms forward palms up.....the caption was "Say it ain't so, Joe". Love it, Love it!

Favorite Stokely memory ever was vs Kentucky in the what amounted to the championship game in '77. (They actually tied at 16-2 but the Vols won because we beat the Cats twice). In sort of a role reversal, King led the Vols scoring while Ernie at 6'6" dominated the boards against the 6'10" twin towers from Kentucky, Robey and Phillips. They also had Goose Givens. We won 81 -79 coming back from down 11. The Sentinel carried a pic the next day of Coach Joe Hall with his arms forward palms up.....the caption was "Say it ain't so, Joe". Love it, Love it!

If I remember right - 3 OT's in that game - was my first UT BBall game - been hooked ever since.

i had the chanch to sell a bunch of games at Stokely from 1979 till the last game against uga and at half time the hottest looking vol cheerleader i ever saw came up and sat beside me but only because her mom and dad where beside of us.There where alot of great games i saw there against ky and i saw howard wood hit a long jumper at the buzzer to beat american university and dale ellis have some great games.and a host of other good players.

That was actually Gary Carter who hit the almost half court shot against American U. To win that game.

Reactions: 1 person
My dad had seats on the 18th row while I was growing up and took me to a lot of games. Saw Bernard King score 43 points in his very first game while Grunfeld was out with an injury. Saw Tony White drop 51 points vs. Auburn. Also remember as a 10 year old watching Temple play a 4 corner offense an entire game and TN won 11-6. I would think that still has to be an NCAA record. A lot of Volunteer Classic games around Christmas time that UT hosted a Friday/ Sat. Tourney with 3 other teams. Wish we still had that.

I remember the chants of "Sit Joe Sit" when playing UK and "Sit Hugh Sit" when playing UGA. Michael Brooks from "The Tennessee River!"

The '84 UK game (I believe) when they had Bowie, Perkins, and Kenny "Sky" Walker. I was sitting on the floor at the corner of the baseline. UT won and they announced that I-75 was closed at Jellico Mtn. Just a little more salt for the UK fans.

Concerts: Bon Jovi, Huey Lewis, and a few others. Interesting venue for concerts.

Don't forget "Sit Wimp Sit" when Bama was in town.

Ha these are great! I was there from Fall 77 through the 82 season and remember a lot of those games well. Favorite concert was Eagle "Long Run" circa 79?? and still regret missing Little Feat in 1978 or 1979 when Lowell George was ill and the concert was cancelled. He died soon afterwards (RIP Mr. George). Actually the LF concert may have been schedule in the smaller theater venue, I can't remember.

I be missing you SAC.

I remember that Tennessee Kentucky game well. I never saw Kentucky beat Tennessee at Stokely. Mainly because they never could regardless of how good they were or how Highly rank they were --Tennessee always beat them. It used to get so loud in there you could scream at the top of your lungs and not yourself! GREAT MEMORIES!

Saw several games there with my dad back in the late 60's to early 70's. One I will always remember (not sure of the year) the Vols played LSU with Pistol Pete. We won, but he still scored about 30, as I recall.

Tennessee always held pistol Pete to a minimum of points. never near anywhere his average. I think he averaged about 44/game!

VN Store

Back