Jeronne Maymon update

bleedingTNorange

This seems to get asked 50 times at least on game day, so maybe this will help.

Jeronne had surgery on both knees, one of his knees has become infected and is causing severe pain obviously. Jeronne will not undergo further surgery(at least not now) and is taking heavy doses of antibiotics to hopefully resolve this.

Maymon has been off the court since about September, so for those counting hasn't taken part in basketball activities for close close to 3 months now, this includes conditioning.

The latest...Quinn (basketball beat writer) said today that Maymons noticeable limp hasn't subsided whatsoever, and that it's probably mid January ATLEAST before hell be back.

Sorry to those in the medical field as I probably could've sounded much more professional in the diagnosis etc.

Last edited:
Looks like Kenny Hall will need to learn how to play defense in a few days.. I hope CCM is up for that task, it'd take a miracle.

just medical redshirt him

sounds like a staph infection possibility from the surgical site or a graft of some sort that may be causing problems. Just guesses, of course.

I'm not a medical expert or anything but usually don't wounds like that get infection because you don't properly clean them? Or can it just happen no matter what? Sorry for the DUMB comment, just wondering.

I'm not a medical expert or anything but usually don't wounds like that get infection because you don't properly clean them? Or can it just happen no matter what? Sorry for the DUMB comment, just wondering.

The man right above your post can probably provide great insight on the specifics of this.

Reactions: 1 person
Hospital acquired infections (nosocomial) are extremely common and, many times, deadly. The most probable candidate is MRSA contracted while in the hospital or therapy. I'm sure that they are ALL OVER THIS THING, but, in a typical case, I would start to worry about it either being or getting into the bone (osteo). Then surgery would likely be mandated.

This is bad news for him and our team. Without Maymon this team could be at risk of missing the tournament IMO

A medical red shirt might be a tough pill for him to swallow, but it might be the best option.

Hospital acquired infections (nosocomial) are extremely common and, many times, deadly. The most probable candidate is MRSA contracted while in the hospital or therapy. I'm sure that they are ALL OVER THIS THING, but, in a typical case, I would start to worry about it either being or getting into the bone (osteo). Then surgery would likely be mandated.

Thanks. I would think all of these student athletes are watched over pretty well. I don't see any reason why Maymon shouldn't get a medical redshirt for this.

something like that usually comes from contact within the joint. So gloves, sleeves, equipment, implants, etc. My mom had a bad staph infection after a total hip at 76. Then had to have it redone. Antibiotics wore her out and damaged her teeth among other things. All that pain, bills, etc, but we would have had to prove intent or something ridiculous for a lawsuit. One of those things that just happens. I'm sure we could have pushed it, but she just wanted to be done with the whole deal.
Hate to say it, but it just happens, even when all parties are doing the best they can to prevent it.

something like that usually comes from contact within the joint. So gloves, sleeves, equipment, implants, etc. My mom had a bad staph infection after a total hip at 76. Then had to have it redone. Antibiotics wore her out and damaged her teeth among other things. All that pain, bills, etc, but we would have had to prove intent or something ridiculous for a lawsuit. One of those things that just happens. I'm sure we could have pushed it, but she just wanted to be done with the whole deal.
Hate to say it, but it just happens, even when all parties are doing the best they can to prevent it.

My Kentucky Wildcat buddy (one of the few I have :)) had knee surgery and they left a piece of equipment or something metal in his knee. It caused a nasty infection and he had another surgery. He didn't sue either. I still don't understand why. Pretty sure he could of gotten a nice bit of change.

My Kentucky Wildcat buddy (one of the few I have :)) had knee surgery and they left a piece of equipment or something metal in his knee. It caused a nasty infection and he had another surgery. He didn't sue either. I still don't understand why. Pretty sure he could of gotten a nice bit of change.

WTF?!?!?!?!

Maybe I'm the only one, but that grosses me the F out.

I'm like imagining this Fing metal probe just chilling in his knee...wtf?!

Bad news.
Heart of this team and seems no one is stepping up to take his place.
Could mean a long season.

could have been a little sliver of metal or something. Some hospitals started going cheap a few years back and would send blades, drills and burrs (still do send them) to a refurbishing plant to clean, sharpen and resterilize. Those things come back the wrong sizes sometimes, which caused pilot hole issues. I always asked them to tell me how they sharpen without changing the size. Would be almost common for a worn instrument to sliver off a piece of metal. Could be tiny but a problem.

I have a sinking feeling he isn't going to suit up the entire year.
Down go the Vols!

could have been a little sliver of metal or something. Some hospitals started going cheap a few years back and would send blades, drills and burrs (still do send them) to a refurbishing plant to clean, sharpen and resterilize. Those things come back the wrong sizes sometimes, which caused pilot hole issues. I always asked them to tell me how they sharpen without changing the size. Would be almost common for a worn instrument to sliver off a piece of metal. Could be tiny but a problem.
Spot on, Spatacus!! Not only are some hospital administrations chosing cheaper equipment, but everyone needs to know to ask about the implant itsself. There are some companies that exist by either making very slight changes to avoid patent infringement or source in Asia and cut corners in quality to offer a "like" product at a cheaper price.The implants themselves sometimes splinter causing a plethera of nightmarish problems. However, as I know that you know (but most people don't), is that THAT is usually a different kind of infection. MRSA, that most people get FROM the hospital, is nasty on a completely different level. For the non-medical folk, the M.R. in M.R.S.A. stands for "Methicillan RESISTANT". Anytime you hear "RESISTANT" linked with anything medical it is never good and without actually knowing for sure, that is what is being described concerning Maymon.

Maymon along with everyone else would be a phenomenal team next year. This season may be a wash without him unfortunately.

A lot of what I say (and that I see) on here seems to have an air of selfishness. Nothing could be further from the reality, but just in case, let's not ever lose sight of the fact that this young man needs to be in our prayers and thoughts in a bigger way than we sometimes may sound. The volnation is very strong in that regard, but I just felt that verbalizing it is never a bad thing.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
I hope the team doesn't think like some of the people on this board. It's like war if the man carrying the flag goes down the next man picks it up. Support and cheer for the young men. This is our team. I will never give up on them.

GBO

VN Store

Back