2014 Kentucky SG D'Angelo Russell

zjcvols

"On a Tennessee saturday night."
Staff member
6'4/185
Louisville, KY
Monteverde Academy (Monteverde, FL)

Recently the staff visited him and has said that UT is one of the hardest school recruiting him. He's a consensus 5* player. Has a UT offer, along with Cincy, Indiana, Louisville, Missouri, and Ohio State, along with others.

ESPN Evaluation

Strengths:
Russell is sweet shooting lefty that can knock down jumpers all over the floor with range past the arc. He also has a nice floater when he gets deep in the lane where he is also a threat to deliver the ball to an open teammate when he draws multiple defenders. In addition to be a good ball handler and passer his feel for the game is at a high level as well. Russell can also play with the ball in his hands and help at the point. He is a pretty good decision maker and is always a threat to score.

Weaknesses:
Russell will have to stay in full attack mode for long stretches of time which will allow him to be more consistent. Add strength should also be on his to do list.

Bottom Line:
Russell is a scoring guard with great range and feel for the game which allows him to help at the point. He can handle, pass and shoot and is a very complete guard especially on the offensive end of the floor.

Not it UK offers they aren't.

You don't think him being from Louisville has some affect on this? Maybe the kid grew up anti-wildcats.

Edit: I should point out that I am making an assumption that since his home town is listed as Louisville that he actually grew up there.

Last edited:
You don't think him being from Louisville has some affect on this? Maybe the kid grew up anti-wildcats.

Edit: I should point out that I am making an assumption that since his home town is listed as Louisville that he actually grew up there.

Just going off things he has said, not sure where he grew up.

Just going off things he has said, not sure where he grew up.

He grew up in Louisville. Went to Central high school then transferred to the Prep school. I would think U of L would have a good chance , but will be something to see if UK offers.

Bench first season at Montverde for lack of effort on defense.
Sound familiar.

Louisville is pretty much split 50/50. UL and UK, but yes for all we know he hates our guts.

Talks like he got the message.
Be interesting to see how he responds this season.
Personally I'd prefer Terrell or Hill that already play both ends.
I understand your trepidation however. You are talking about a guy who played under the last guy who wasn't known for pushing and developing players. CCM is a whole different ball game. When he got here Mcbee was a complete and utter defensive liability and people were pissed he was awarded a scholly. Post CCM Mcbee, though not a defensive stopper by any stretch of the imagination, has become a legit contributor and decent defensive player.

I understand your trepidation however. You are talking about a guy who played under the last guy who wasn't known for pushing and developing players. CCM is a whole different ball game. When he got here Mcbee was a complete and utter defensive liability and people were pissed he was awarded a scholly. Post CCM Mcbee, though not a defensive stopper by any stretch of the imagination, has become a legit contributor and decent defensive player.
I agree with CCM's ability to develop players, but we're talking about Russell here.
Just think Terrell and Hill come closer to fitting CCM's mold.
Terrell's a beast on both ends of the floor if you can use that term to describe a guard.
Hill is also a very good defender.
Same size as D'Angelo and pretty close on offensive skill sets.

He's visited Mizzou already. Don't know much more about him though. But our plan A at SG is Devin Booker.

Last edited:
I would imagine the amount of success that Hubbs has for us on the court next year will go a long way towards recruiting other big time guards such as D'Angelo.

“@JoshPaunilNRS: And D'Angelo Russell (@dangelorussell3) says he's considering UofL, UK, UNC, Ohio State, Mizzou, Memphis, Tennessee, Florida, Cincy & NCSU.”

“@JoshPaunilNRS: Ohio State & Mizzou have been after D'Angelo Russell the hardest & he wants to visit Mizzou, OSU, Memphis, UNC, NCSU & Tennessee next summer”

VN Store

Back