Nichols visit starts tonight...

bleedingTNorange

Will be here this evening, and will be here all weekend. He will be accompanied by his mother, father, older sister, and obviously twin sister who is already here.

Quite honestly could be one of the biggest weekends in UT basketball history as far as recruiting....Nichols is a bigger piece to the Memphis puzzle than Stokes.

Reel em' in Zo.

Reactions: 6 people
Will be here this evening, and will be here all weekend. He will be accompanied by his mother, father, older sister, and obviously twin sister who is already here.

Quite honestly could be one of the biggest weekends in UT basketball history as far as recruiting....Nichols is a bigger piece to the Memphis puzzle than Stokes.

Reel em' in Zo.

That'd be a complete negative.

Reactions: 3 people
Love it if the students and fans cheer and notice him at every place he goes too. Make him feel the love and excitement from the basketball side of things.

Reactions: 2 people
Roadtripping on a day like today from Memphis is a great start to a visit. People take the scenery for granted.
As a Memphis native, the fall leaves and hills are a welcome sight.

Roadtripping on a day like today from Memphis is a great start to a visit. People take the scenery for granted.
As a Memphis native, the fall leaves and hills are a welcome sight.

Maybe I'm just a depressed weirdo, but I love the cloudy overcast with Tennessee scenery. I think it's just beautiful.

Reactions: 3 people
That'd be a complete negative.

Not hardly...

Memphis media has tabbed him one of the 5 most important recruits in Memphis history, stokes didn't get that label.

Memphis has room for Nichols, they didn't for stokes...and almost all Memphis fans say that's the only reason we got stokes.

I can assure you, if we get Nichols its a bigger statement in Memphis than getting stokes.

Reactions: 6 people
Not hardly...

Memphis media has tabbed him one of the 5 most important recruits in Memphis history, stokes didn't get that label.

Memphis has room for Nichols, they didn't for stokes...and almost all Memphis fans say that's the only reason we got stokes.

I can assure you, if we get Nichols its a bigger statement in Memphis than getting stokes.

Memphis media is crazy.

Does Memphis want Nichols? Yup, they sure do. Yet they have never been a serious player for Nichols till the last couple months. Unlike an Adonis Thomas that Memphis recruited for four years.

Not sure how Nichols can be an important Memphis recruit when Memphis doesn't even have him on priority #1. Nick King has been priority #1. Getting Nick King would have been a bigger statement than Austin Nichols.

Not hardly...

But im not sure the Nichols kid would get the same notoriety as Stokes. Outsiders took notice of Jarnell since he should have been a high school senior rather than a college freshman.

Memphis media is crazy.

Does Memphis want Nichols? Yup, they sure do. Yet they have never been a serious player for Nichols till the last couple months. Unlike an Adonis Thomas that Memphis recruited for four years.

Not sure how Nichols can be an important Memphis recruit when Memphis doesn't even have him on priority #1. Nick King has been priority #1. Getting Nick King would have been a bigger statement than Austin Nichols.

But none of what you said is comparing to Stokes. I agree King would've been bigger than stokes or Nichols hands down no doubt.

If memphis had a scholarship open last year it may be different, but like i said the perception among many is stokes is here because of that.

Many Memphians knew stokes was coming here and had gave up because of the schoarship issue...that's not the case with Nichols. Memphis needs a post guy in their class and they're running out of options, that's why they're really picked it up with Austin lately.

If Nichols comes to UT it's no excuses, he chose Tennessee over Memphis...and that's what I've been told from some people out that way, and people who work for national outlets like rivals, scout etc...that the perception would be much better for UT than when they pulled Stokes.

By the end of the week we could have two recruits that picked little ole Tennessee over Duke and Memphis. Just the sound of that makes me happy.

Memphis media is crazy.

Word. Nichols is a private school Memphis area recruit, private schoolers are notorious for leaving the city.

Stokes is the first Memphis public schooler to go to UT for a looong time. I'm not counting Dane.

Stokes opened the door for UT to recruit Nichols, JW3, King, Crawford. I don't think Nichols would afford the same recruiting advantages. Stokes was the bigger deal.

Word. Nichols is a private school Memphis area recruit, private schoolers are notorious for leaving the city.

Stokes is the first Memphis public schooler to go to UT for a looong time. I'm not counting Dane.

Stokes opened the door for UT to recruit Nichols, JW3, King, Crawford. I don't think Nichols would afford the same recruiting advantages. Stokes was the bigger deal.

Agree 100% with these comments.

Why arent you counting Dane?

Last edited:

Reel em' in Zo.

Think it might help us since he has a twin sister already at UT. :clapping:

Dane wasn't very highly ranked and Memphis wasn't pursuing him.

And memphis wasn't really pursuing stokes once they knew he was entolling in December, you have pretty much stated this.

I agree stokes opened up the door into Memphis, but I think it was a matter of time before he got in there anyway.

Nichols played with Skal on m33m, obviously also Hubbs as well...he's friends with a lot of Memphis area kids, and it definitely won't hurt UT in Memphis.

I just think given the circumstances this would say more, Memphis has a spot and has really made him a priority, same cant be said for Stokes. I've talked to some national media people and they've all said the same, it'd be bigger...now thtat wasn't the case a couple months ago, but now that Memphis has really become visible that's changed.

No right or wrong answer I don't guess, all just opinion....I just really think the Nichols signing would be much more impressive than the Stokes signing.

Interesting his dad sounds skeptical about the style of UT offense and questions if offense would fit Nichols style, sounds like that'll be a key piece for Martin to convince them of...

Gotta love this about Memphis madness though...Mark Nichols described the visit "good," but quickly added, 'He's not into all that, really. He appreciated it, don't get me wrong, it makes anybody feel honored or happy, but he's not really into all the hoopla."

VN Store

Back