Position Review: Point Guard

zjcvols

"On a Tennessee saturday night."
Staff member
The Starter: Trae Golden is a solid SEC point guard. The good news is he has a lot of room to grow. His shooting his very good, and improved his quickness in the offseason. He has to improve defensively to become complete, and become a better game manager. Trae is one of the best shooters in the SEC. The hope is that Trae cuts down on his turnovers and increase his assists. With Coach Martin willing to push the tempo a little bit more, and the improvements of Stokes and McRae, Golden should be able to get his teammates easier buckets.

The bench: Armani Moore is an unknown. He really exploded his senior year and had a monster season, and really started to pick up some good offers in the Spring. However, Moore isn't a true point guard. He played both point and two guard in high school. Moore won't have to do much however except play solid D and not turn the ball over.

Overview: UT has a very good starting point guard, but a lot of unknowns for the floor general. Skylar McBee, Josh Richardson, and Jordan McRae all have a little experience at point guard so an injury to Moore wouldn't be awful. However, an injury to Golden would really hurt this team. Golden is an All-SEC quality point guard. If Moore can hold his own, UT will have a great backcourt between the two. However, there is too much of an unknown with Trae's D and Armani too give a high grade.

Final Grade: B-

Reactions: 1 person
The Starter: Trae Golden is a solid SEC point guard. The good news is he has a lot of room to grow. His shooting his very good, and improved his quickness in the offseason. He has to improve defensively to become complete, and become a better game manager. Trae is one of the best shooters in the SEC. The hope is that Trae cuts down on his turnovers and increase his assists. With Coach Martin willing to push the tempo a little bit more, and the improvements of Stokes and McRae, Golden should be able to get his teammates easier buckets.

The bench: Armani Moore is an unknown. He really exploded his senior year and had a monster season, and really started to pick up some good offers in the Spring. However, Moore isn't a true point guard. He played both point and two guard in high school. Moore won't have to do much however except play solid D and not turn the ball over.

Overview: UT has a very good starting point guard, but a lot of unknowns for the floor general. Skylar McBee, Josh Richardson, and Jordan McRae all have a little experience at point guard so an injury to Moore wouldn't be awful. However, an injury to Golden would really hurt this team. Golden is an All-SEC quality point guard. If Moore can hold his own, UT will have a great backcourt between the two. However, there is too much of an unknown with Trae's D and Armani too give a high grade.

Final Grade: B-

This is my fear on Moore (and I'm only slightly more than half joking): in the interview linked somewhere on here he's asked, "Michael, Lebron, or Kobe"; he picks Kobe, which is bad enough for me, but more importantly was how he responded to "why?" "He does it all," Moore said. A list with 2 of the most complete players -- guys who really do (or did, in Michael's case) it all -- and he picks the guy who, though a prolific scorer, consistently takes several horrible shots per game and who is average at best on defense. Not the mentality I want from my point guard.

This is my fear on Moore (and I'm only slightly more than half joking): in the interview linked somewhere on here he's asked, "Michael, Lebron, or Kobe"; he picks Kobe, which is bad enough for me, but more importantly was how he responded to "why?" "He does it all," Moore said. A list with 2 of the most complete players -- guys who really do (or did, in Michael's case) it all -- and he picks the guy who, though a prolific scorer, consistently takes several horrible shots per game and who is average at best on defense. Not the mentality I want from my point guard.

I seriously wouldn't worry about that at all.

You have to think though growing up his "Michael Jordan" is Kobe. So that's going to be the majority of young players answers.

i completely agree with you on Kobe and what i want from a PG (or player in general for that matter) - that being said with MJ at least it is likely just an age thing

lebron over kobe though as an all around player is a bit of a head scratcher

Solid work. I'm looking forward to seeing what Moore can do. I think Golden is going to blow up this season and be even more of a force.

Well if it makes you feel better I would choose Allen iverson if he was on the list.....you wouldn't have to worry about that though bc trust me my game is nothing like his. LOL Seriously though you are way over thinking it, Kobe is probably just his favorite player but if his game was exactly like Kobes I would take that in a heartbeat LOL

i completely agree with you on Kobe and what i want from a PG (or player in general for that matter) - that being said with MJ at least it is likely just an age thing

lebron over kobe though as an all around player is a bit of a head scratcher

He didn't say he was a better all around player, its probably just his favorite player. He said " He does it all" which can be interpreted different ways. Personally, I can't stand Lebron and would choose Andrew Bynum bc he does it all. LOL

Off topic but, Kobe > LeBron as of now.

uh? Really? lol

He didn't say he was a better all around player, its probably just his favorite player. He said " He does it all" which can be interpreted different ways. Personally, I can't stand Lebron and would choose Andrew Bynum bc he does it all. LOL

maybe i misread it then - bynum was shooting a 3 or two last year!

I'd have to give higher than a B-, because a potential All-SEC PG is a lot better than most teams can claim and because I'm not quite as concerned about our backup PG spot as you. Realistically, how many teams wouldn't be screwed if their starting PG went down? Almost all of them.

If we have All-SEC production for 30 minutes and have to squeeze 10 minutes out of an unproven freshman and a few wings playing out of position, then at this level of basketball that's something I'm content with. Also, I'd venture that McBee is solid as a backup PG in limited minutes. He knows how to run the offense and will get the ball into the post, and though he's limited physically he'll go all out on every defensive possession. He'd likely get exposed as a starter, but for 8-10 minutes per game I don't mind him there at all.

I'd go with a B+, and I seriously considered an A-. I just don't think there are many teams in the country with a better setup at PG than what we have here.

Last edited:
I'd have to give higher than a B-, because a potential All-SEC PG is a lot better than most teams can claim and because I'm not quite as concerned about our backup PG spot as you. Realistically, how many teams wouldn't be screwed if their starting PG went down? Almost all of them.

If we have All-SEC production for 30 minutes and have to squeeze 10 minutes out of an unproven freshman and a few wings playing out of position, then at this level of basketball that's something I'm content with. Also, I'd venture that McBee is solid as a backup PG in limited minutes. He knows how to run the offense and will get the ball into the post, and though he's limited physically he'll go all out on every defensive possession. He'd likely get exposed as a starter, but for 8-10 minutes per game I don't mind him there at all.

I'd go with a B+, and I seriously considered an A-. I just don't think there are many teams in the country with a better setup at PG than what we have here.

We tried to start mcbee at PG once...he was yanked about 5 minutes in, simply couldn't play the PG position effectively.

Also, while we expect an all-sec type year fr golden, he didn't have it last year, so we're assuming he elevates his game by saying that. I think Z is more going off what we have already seen than assumptions.

We have to have a better backup than last year...it was a complete drop off when golden went out and the effects of that really hurt us in games last year.

JMO but I thought it was the proper grade and thought Z stayed very neutral and unbiased.

I'll just disagree that Kobe is an "average at best defender". He has been on the NBA All-Defensive team more than half of his NBA career. This after exerting so much energy on offense.

You have a point, but Moore isn't a true point guard. Hell, we didn't know who would get the backup point guard minutes till Italy.

I don't think McBee is a solid backup point guard. JMO.

I can understand B, but I think you are a little too high. Golden is a good point guard who has a couple major weaknesses. Moore is a combo freshman guard who wasn't a BCS prospect till his senior year. There are a good amount of questions.

I'll just disagree that Kobe is an "average at best defender". He has been on the NBA All-Defensive team more than half of his NBA career. This after exerting so much energy on offense.

He's been average for about five years. In his prime, he was great.

He's been average for about five years. In his prime, he was great.

Could say that about a lot of players, though. Kobe was the best for a long time and has now been surpassed by durant and lebron.

VN Store

Back