Practice Report...

bleedingTNorange

From a guy on TOS, good stuff...

"Saturday was the most physically tough practice I've seen in the 12 years I've been going to watch UT. Stokes is now a svelt and quick 275 and is flat out impossible to stop most of the time. His defense has improved tremendously too.

Hall has improved his shot and is moving well and will be beast off the bench. Yemi has gained a little more on offense and has a lot more balance and while he will probably lead the SEC in fouls per minute, his defense has improved. I see him really moving toward a Festus Ezeli type of player in the future.

Maymon missed both the first two practices nursing his knee but cheered, clapped, and encouraged from the training table. McRae, McBee, and Richardson set the tone both days with their effort and their voices. All three seem to be better on defense with their technique and seem very confident on offense.

Never thought I would see McRae turn the corner like he has. He is completely locked in during practice, but so is everyone else. Martin's ability to have his players attention for over three hours is a testament of their respect and their fear of him and the consequences if they don't.

Golden and Maymon are the leaders of the team and Golden has enhanced his quickness and his shot and seems to love being the playmaker.

I am really impressed with Moore's maturity with the ball since the spring and Edwards could probably start from day one if they wanted. Both are physical and Edwards can play inside or out. Chievous is someone that causes a lot of matchup problems at the 4 but needs to focus better and become more consistent with his effort. Reese and Miller are both injured. I really think this team could be very good even with their schedule. They are deep, focused, unselfish, and seem to believe that the coaching staff has the blueprint to success. They practice like champions and have more consistent effort and focus than Pearl's best teams. It could be a very exciting season this year, but it will be even better in the future. No doubt about it..."

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
I know everyone is excited about Cuonzo, and the team has made some positive strides ... but does anyone really see us beating UK? We're pumped about landing Nichols, and Calipari will probably have 4 of the top 5.

I know everyone is excited about Cuonzo, and the team has made some positive strides ... but does anyone really see us beating UK? We're pumped about landing Nichols, and Calipari will probably have 4 of the top 5.

That's next year, not this year.

And its not like Kentucky has gone undefeated every year, so they'll likely lose a few this year as well.

UK will always be tough but I think the moral of the story is how much better UT is becoming. Think back to UT ball under Wade Houston (sans Alan) with 12k in the stands.

Who knows, maybe UK will be our only loss!:yes:

Don't worry about Kentucky. We beat them when they had Wall and Cousins.

Frankly, as much as it sucks, we know where the bar has been set. Kentucky really can't go any higher in terms of talent level. What I mean by that is they're going to be consistently elite. As long as Cal is there, they're going to stay elite.

But not for one second does that mean Tennessee can't rise right up to that elite level. Martin sure seems to be on that path with the way he's been recruiting lately.

(For the KY fans, no I'm not talking about tradition. We all know about the history UK has. Not saying we could ever hope to match that).

UK will always be tough but I think the moral of the story is how much better UT is becoming. Think back to UT ball under Wade Houston (sans Alan) with 12k in the stands.

Who knows, maybe UK will be our only loss!:yes:
You just beat me to it. Almost my thoughts exactly.

All this team has to do different from last year is not lose to bad teams that we are significantly better than and we will stay in the top 25 all year long

Also, I am starting to become worried about Maymon. These injuries seem lingering and it worries me, we need the big guy.

Also, I am starting to become worried about Maymon. These injuries seem lingering and it worries me, we need the big guy.

Was getting ready to ask about this...is he sitting out for a precautionary measure or is he still battling the knee injury?

Was getting ready to ask about this...is he sitting out for a precautionary measure or is he still battling the knee injury?

I am sure it is just precautionary, but if he isn't practicing then the knee doesn't feel 100%

Truth of the matter is Maymon played with injuries most of last year, I would just like to see him fully healthy.

I am sure it is just precautionary, but if he isn't practicing then the knee doesn't feel 100%

Truth of the matter is Maymon played with injuries most of last year, I would just like to see him fully healthy.

I'm more worried about Golden staying healthy. He goes down we are very very screwed!

Though it remains to be seen, I'm not hearing the oooos and the aaaahs I heard last season about their 2012 recruiting class.
Noel, Poythress and Goodwin doesn't strike the fear in the heart that their 3 top tens last season did.
Will they have the chemistry to compete with talent plus experience (Stokes- Maymon) this season?
Really depends on our back court. upgraded and more versatile. going to be interesting.
I still say we play them 3 times and beat them twice.
But, I'm on the Martini.

Hopefully Maymon will be cleared by the end of next week. Knees are damn screwy. Probably just want to make sure he doesn't twerk it.

Hey, not sure how our record will look at the end of the season, but it definitely sounds like UT will be THE team nobody wants to play because they will know if they don't bring their A game, they will LOSE! I like the fire.

nobody knows yet

Anyone got a bead (or an off the cuff prediction) on what the rotation will be? Martin has four rock solid starters to lean on, then Hall off the bench. I honestly can't predict who will see minutes at the 3 and who will be the 7th and 8th man.

Anyone got a bead (or an off the cuff prediction) on what the rotation will be? Martin has four rock solid starters to lean on, then Hall off the bench. I honestly can't predict who will see minutes at the 3 and who will be the 7th and 8th man.

Who are these 4 rock solid starters of which you speak?

Did you never post in the rotation thread?

VN Store

Back