Is Golden unappreciated as a PG?

bleedingTNorange

Everyone knows how I feel, but another good article by Quinn.

Trae Golden has gained the confidence to lead Vols » GoVolsXtra

"Golden's 2011-12 stats were nearly identical to that of Michigan point guard Trey Burke. The only drastic difference was in shooting percentages. Golden's numbers were better.

Yet, Burke appears on numerous preseason All-America teams.

That's life for Golden."

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Yeah I read this a few days ago, and was pretty surprised at some of the other PGs Quinn compared him to. But yeah, I don't see how one can argue that he's not unappreciated (by most, obviously most people here know better). My favorite quote was, "I'll score. I'll pass. I'll shoot. I'll do what I need to do to win," he said. "I led the SEC in assists for a long time (last year) and still I was called a scoring-first point guard. Something's got to give."

Good, let him be unappreciated, and then he'll burn everyone down as a sleeper PG.

Gonna be a fun season, men.

Reactions: 1 person
As the entire teams stock rises this year (hopefully) so will Golden's. If this team gets off to a 9-1 or 10-0 start, Golden will have to be playing well and people will finally start taking note.

As the entire teams stock rises this year (hopefully) so will Golden's. If this team gets off to a 9-1 or 10-0 start, Golden will have to be playing well and people will finally start taking note.

If this team starts 4-0 they'll likely be in the top 15, and start getting some big time attention.

I think it's good for him to have a chip on his shoulder. Just makes you work harder. I think the whole team should feel the same.

My favorite :)
"Golden wants to answer the two question marks gracing his resume — turnovers and defense."
Man I can't wait for it to be November already!!

To the OP, I'm not sure he's unappreciated as a PG. I think he's still thought of as a shooting guard or scorer, playing point guard. A subtle difference. I honestly don't follow basketball recruiting but do we have a guy who can shut down our oppositions pg with solid defense? Seems like that was an Achilles heel of last years team. That and long periods of disorgainzation on offense with Maymon and/or Golden on the bench.

Mainly because he's and undersized 2 guard. His lateral quickness is not great against quicker point guards. But he has had one year under his belt and now understands the motion offense. He's as prepared as he will get. Roll the ball out there...

If this team starts 4-0 they'll likely be in the top 15, and start getting some big time attention.

I agree with that to a point because to do that they will most likely have to beat NC State. But they have to maintain it thought the entire ooc schedule or it will just be seen as a fluke. Beating NC State and then losing to Georgetown, Virginia and/or Witchita State will push them back to the edge of national attention.

I agree with that to a point because to do that they will most likely have to beat NC State. But they have to maintain it thought the entire ooc schedule or it will just be seen as a fluke. Beating NC State and then losing to Georgetown, Virginia and/or Witchita State will push them back to the edge of national attention.

Without question.

I'm hoping for a good, strong, consistent season.

Excited to see them come out of the gate ready, and not take 1/2 the season to buy in.

I was under the impression Golder was a SG and was forced to play the point cause UT didn't have a true point guard. Did he play point in HS?

To the OP, I'm not sure he's unappreciated as a PG. I think he's still thought of as a shooting guard or scorer, playing point guard. A subtle difference. I honestly don't follow basketball recruiting but do we have a guy who can shut down our oppositions pg with solid defense? Seems like that was an Achilles heel of last years team. That and long periods of disorgainzation on offense with Maymon and/or Golden on the bench.

Not this year...:the backup will be a 6'5" freshman, long and quick, will be interesting to see his defense on quicker guards, this may be where we see some 1-3-1 zone.

next year though we have a very good defensive PG coming in, super quick.

I was under the impression Golder was a SG and was forced to play the point cause UT didn't have a true point guard. Did he play point in HS?

SG in high school....pearl turned him into a PG his first year, he's now a PG. CCM has been adamant that golden is a PG, will remain a PG, and his future is at PG.

This.

I will also note that if he cuts down on the TOs at critical junctures and picks up his D, peoole will take notice. Amidst his strong offensive performances last year were some foolish mistakes that hopefully experience will handle. He self-admits that his defense needs to improve.

This.

I will also note that if he cuts down on the TOs at critical junctures and picks up his D, peoole will take notice. Amidst his strong offensive performances last year were some foolish mistakes that hopefully experience will handle. He self-admits that his defense needs to improve.

I was going to say just about the same thing. He has the offensive stats that rank up there with some of the best pg in the country. But the half dozen end of game turnovers that led to loses and getting blown by every small pg we faced is some of the issues that doesn't show up on the stat sheet.

Reactions: 1 person
This.

ditto

Good, let him be unappreciated, and then he'll burn everyone down as a sleeper PG.

Gonna be a fun season, men.

He's definitely no sleeper. I've heard a bunch about him. Should be fun watching him and Pressey (or Dixon) go at it. I agree, gonna be a fun season.

Maybe we should ask ZJC what his opinion on the matter is.

Why thank you for asking.

Trae Golden improved immensely as a point guard during SEC play. Along with Stokes, it's the biggest reason UT tied for second in the SEC.

Golden is very good offensively, and his passing is underrated. He needs to work on game management, but he will get there. Even when some people wanted a JUCO point guard (BTO :) shout out), I stood beside Golden as the point guard for this program. As someone who loves advanced stats, Trae is actually better than his regular stats show.

I want to see more consistency and defense, I would have no problem calling him an elite college point guard.

I love golden, and I received a lot of flack last year for sticking by him.

I still would've like Fabyon, simply for the fact it would've given us another PG that at the least could back up golden, and also be a good scorer at the 2.

I'm confident with trae leading us into battle though, and think he's an all-sec caliber PG.

VN Store

Back