Vols First Practice

MphsBlues

Didn't see this posted anywhere, so thought I'd put it up:

6571564_1350136566.jpg

Vols First Hoops Practice Efficient - UTSPORTS.COM - University of Tennessee Athletics

"...EMPHASIS OF THE DAY
Friday's "Emphasis of the Day" - daily midcourt talking points spearheaded by Martin prior to each practice - was three-pronged.

• Every man has to do his part.
• When someone does well, we all do well.
• When someone makes a mistake, we all make the mistake.
..."

I wish they would make these new posters pass some sort of test or something haha.

Don't see anything wrong with his statement. I don't see this team being great either. By great, I mean Elite 8 success and fewer than 5-6 losses.

Don't see anything wrong with his statement. I don't see this team being great either. By great, I mean Elite 8 success and fewer than 5-6 losses.

If that's his definition of great that's fine...that's why I asked his definition, everyone's is different.

I hope they can do that but too me the players are not there yet . Thats why we need HUBBS ,and NICHOLS to come .We also need STOKES to stay next year. THEN WE MAY BE ON THE ROAD TO GREAT THINGS .I am a true UT FAN .

Let me throw in a wrench here.
Last year's team was average at best and over achieved down the stretch.
This year's team will be better, very good (almost great) in some areas but unproven in others.
If our back court comes through this season, this will be a very good(almost great) team that hopefully also over achieves.
If they do they'll be a Great Team.

This years team is better than the 2010 elite 8 team IMO..
Golden > Maze
McRae < Hopson
Edwards > Prince (still an unknown though with Edwards)
Stokes > Chism
Maymon > Williams

CCM > CBP

This years bench > 2010's bench.

To think this team's ceiling isn't as high as 2010 isn't too far fetched. One thing this team has that the other team didn't is discipline. This years team doesn't wait until there is 10 seconds on the shot clock and then jack up a 3.

(Sorry for any of the bad spelling I'm on my phone)

Golden > Maze
McRae < Hopson
Stokes > Chism
Maymon > Williams

A bit optimistic...

Maze was very good, I'd put him and golden probably equal as of now. Hopson was a double digit guy, sure he dissaoeared, but so does McRae as of now, nod has to be Hopson. I'd definitely give prince the nod over Edwards at this point, we've yet to see Edwards play, could be a bust. I agree with the final 2 though, although an argument can be made that chism would deserve the edge at this this point

Golden > Maze
McRae < Hopson
Stokes > Chism
Maymon > Williams

CCM > CBP

This years bench > 2010's bench.

To think this team's ceiling isn't as high as 2010 isn't too far fetched. One thing this team has that the other team didn't is discipline. This years team doesn't wait until there is 10 seconds on the shot clock and then jack up a 3.

(Sorry for any of the bad spelling I'm on my phone)

I think you are selling the 2010 team a little short. Maze, Hopson, and Prince is a better backcourt than anything CCM can currently put on the floor. You also matched up the wrong front court players. Chism would play Maymon, and that's probably a push. Stokes and Williams would guard each other. This would be the only position that this year's squad has a clear advantage over the 2010 squad, but lets not forget that during that elite 8 run Williams probably played the best basketball of his life for UT to make that run.

I agree that this bench looks better than that bench. Steven Pearl being one of the 1st couple players off that bench says a lot about that teams lack of depth.

Lastly, CCM may be the next Bobby Knight (who knows), but to say he is a better coach than CBP at this point just cannot be backed up with facts. When CCM gets this team to a #1 ranking, wins 30+ games, makes 7 consecutive NCAA tourneys, beats Kentucky at Rupp, and makes an elite 8, then you can say CCM>CBP but until then its just wishful thinking.

This team has some real strengths, but they will still need vast improvement over last years team and a couple favorable pairings to be an elite 8 team. A busted bracket in front of them (like the 2010 team got) wouldn't hurt either.

Last edited:
A bit optimistic...

Maze was very good, I'd put him and golden probably equal as of now. Hopson was a double digit guy, sure he dissaoeared, but so does McRae as of now, nod has to be Hopson. I'd definitely give prince the nod over Edwards at this point, we've yet to see Edwards play, could be a bust. I agree with the final 2 though, although an argument can be made that chism would deserve the edge at this this point

I agree with you, mostly. I would give Maze a slight edge because he was actually a pretty good on-ball defender. Much better than Golden has shown so far.

be a great team and do better than sweet 16.you seem to follow recruiting very close .i would think you could see there not there yet .but are close.

BTO is just playin with ya.
I understand what you are saying.
Some of us on the board have been blinded by expectations and are already seeing banners in the future.
Maybe it's wishful thinking and the season will bring us back to reality.
I do think we have a coach and staff that can teach the game and take players to a different level.
I'm also anticipating Stokes' first slam and the effect it has on the players around him.
Either way, Martin is bringing in the pieces to make us the 'last team standing' in the future.

VN Store

Back