Jon Rothstein - Golden could be best PG in the SEC

golfballs

Mostly Peaceful Poster
Jon Rothstein ‏@JonRothstein
Trae Golden's stats in Tennessee's final 10 SEC games last year --- 15.4 PPG, 4.5 APG, 3.3 RPG. Fills box score. Could be best PG in SEC.
https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/statuses/256080699843559424

More people need to start talking about the completeness of Trae Golden's game. Very similar stats to NC State's Lorenzo Brown.
https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/256080919520215040

Pressey better play maker, Trae more complete RT @MyrOsLove: Better than Pressey? RT @JonRothstein Trae Golden Could be best PG in SEC.
https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/256083705867665408

:clapping:

Reactions: 2 people
I just had to correct someone in another thread that said Golden sucks. He's in the top 3 in both best players on the UT roster and best SEC PGs.

Reactions: 1 person
Remember all those people complaining about him, wanting mcbee or anyone else at PG, and saying put him at the 2????

Ya...how's that crow taste?

I was wondering why he wasn't getting any love like this. Trae improved mightily over last season and now he's had a full offseason to continue that growth... Watch out.

On another note Phil Pressey is over rated. Marcus Denman, Kim English, and Ricardo Ratliff are was made them go last season and all three are gone. I expect Mizzou to struggle next season, at least compared to their expectations.

Remember all those people complaining about him, wanting mcbee or anyone else at PG, and saying put him at the 2????

that crap was insane, people complaining he wasn't a true pg or some nonsense was just stupid. Golden is only scratching the surface of his potential right now.

I hate to disagree with you because I believe we generally share the same views, BUT...

Settle down Beavis! Remember after Golden's first two games last year ESPN writers had him as a projected 1st round pick in the NBA last year? Who's eating THAT crow? I'm not sayin he isn't talented and I hope he turns out to be the best PG we've ever had, but last time I checked you still have to play defense. And his defense vs the opposing PGs last year was atrocious. He has terribly slow feet and could not keep anybody in front of him to save his life. He made some terrible decisions at the end of games that cost us (Memphis), and he generally just underperformed after the first two games of the season. Like I said, I hope he leads us to a championship, but just because one writer tweets he could be the best PG in the league does not make it gospel and certainly doesn't mean anyone with an alternate view should be eating crow.

I hate to disagree with you because I believe we generally share the same views, BUT...

Settle down Beavis! Remember after Golden's first two games last year ESPN writers had him as a projected 1st round pick in the NBA last year? Who's eating THAT crow? I'm not sayin he isn't talented and I hope he turns out to be the best PG we've ever had, but last time I checked you still have to play defense. And his defense vs the opposing PGs last year was atrocious. He has terribly slow feet and could not keep anybody in front of him to save his life. He made some terrible decisions at the end of games that cost us (Memphis), and he generally just underperformed after the first two games of the season. Like I said, I hope he leads us to a championship, but just because one writer tweets he could be the best PG in the league does not make it gospel and certainly doesn't mean anyone with an alternate view should be eating crow.

Nobody is buying into some hype by a local writer. My opinion is that people bought into the hype that surrounded him after his first two games last year and when it turned out that he couldn't average 30ppg people became more critical of his play than was warranted.

Did Trae make lots of mistake? Sure, but name me 3 SEC PGs you would take over him right now.

No I don't EVER remember ESPN writers projecting him as a 1st rounder, I'd be very interested in reading that if you could provide a link though.

And I agree defense was bad, but that's part of learning the position, he was basically a freshman PG...most freshman PG have their negatives, Goldens was defense.

He was a top 3 PG last year, and will be atleast that again this year...so yeah, anybody saying he should've been benched for mcbee, or moved to the 2...they should eat at a buffet that only serves crow.

Let's be honest now.
There were more than just a few wondering if moving him to the 2 and recruiting a JUCO was the better option.
A lot of that was because our entire back court was dismal at best and Trae was expected (by fans) to to do too much.
With Martin implying he's improved as much going into his 3rd as he did going into his second season, I'm more than comfortable with the decision to keep him there.
With an upgraded back court and one of the best front courts in the game, I'd say Trae will have an outstanding season just concentrating on what's expected of him (by coach).

Nobody is buying into some hype by a local writer. My opinion is that people bought into the hype that surrounded him after his first two games last year and when it turned out that he couldn't average 30ppg people became more critical of his play than was warranted.

Did Trae make lots of mistake? Sure, but name me 3 SEC PGs you would take over him right now.

I think this says more about the state of SEC point guards than any validation of Golden. He's a decent player, I'm not trying to say he's terrible. I'm just being the voice of reason for those who are acting like he's the next Steve Nash.

No I don't EVER remember ESPN writers projecting him as a 1st rounder, I'd be very interested in reading that if you could provide a link though.

And I agree defense was bad, but that's part of learning the position, he was basically a freshman PG...most freshman PG have their negatives, Goldens was defense.

He was a top 3 PG last year, and will be atleast that again this year...so yeah, anybody saying he should've been benched for mcbee, or moved to the 2...they should eat at a buffet that only serves crow.

http://www.volnation.com/forum/tennessee-vols-basketball/146005-talks-golden-nba.html

So it doesn't say 1st rounder, it's been a year since I read it, sue me. Nevertheless, it was after 2 good games.

You say he was a top 3 PG last year like it's fact. It ain't.

Like I said, I hope he turns out to be everything you think he already is. But until he actually does improve from last year, let's hold off gettin on your high horse and demanding everyone eat crow.

I think this says more about the state of SEC point guards than any validation of Golden. He's a decent player, I'm not trying to say he's terrible. I'm just being the voice of reason for those who are acting like he's the next Steve Nash.

This is a clear headed post...Golden is a good PG in the SEC, but has demonstrated the ability to not get it done when needed...more times than a great PG should.

http://www.volnation.com/forum/tennessee-vols-basketball/146005-talks-golden-nba.html

So it doesn't say 1st rounder, it's been a year since I read it, sue me. Nevertheless, it was after 2 good games.

Like I said, I hope he turns out to be everything you think he already is. But until he actually does improve from last year, let's hold off gettin on your high horse and demanding everyone eat crow.

Name 3 PGs the majority of sane people would take over him in the SEC???

And the point is...people wanted mcbee to take his spot at PG...no matter what happens this year, trae has already proved that was a dumb idea. That's where the eat crow Is coming from...people didn't think he could be the PG for UT...he is and he's doing a damn good job at it.

Even if he doesn't improve from last year, he's still a top 3 PG, well say top 5 to make you happy...much better than mcbee would be for us...So like I said, those saying bench him or he couldn't cut it, eat that crow.

Last edited:

1. No one in that thread was proclaiming Trae was a future NBA baller.

2. Name 3 better SEC PGs than Golden from last season.

VN Store

Back