I think UT takes five recruits this year...maybe even six...

zjcvols

"On a Tennessee saturday night."
Staff member
Looking at UT's roster for 2013-2014, we are just loaded at the guard/wing spots in terms of players, and bare in the posts, even if we make the assumption that Nichols is UT bound and Stokes stays.

PG- Golden/Moore/Landry
SG- Hubbs/Richardson
SF- McRae/Edwards/Reese/Chevious
PF- Nichols/Davis
C- Stokes/Makanjoula

I'd have to think one of Reese/Chevious is not going to be here for 2013-2014. There's no sense for the team and whichever player gets left on the bench for that to happen unless the staff feels Derek Reese is a 4, and he's right now 6'8/208 and listed as a guard.

I really think you'll see a fifth player added to the recruiting class. And I wouldn't say it's impossible to throw in a sixth player to.

I hope we stick with 4 and just save that 5th players scholarship for the next class.

I hope we stick with 4 and just save that 5th players scholarship for the next class.

We will lose Edwards, Golden, McRae, Stokes, and who knows, maybe Hubbs after 2013-2014. There will be plenty of schollies.

Coach Martin is doing fantastic, but I wouldn't mind having a true center in this year's group if a good one is available. Even a JC as Makanjoula is the closest player we have to a true center. We have a bunch of 6'7" and 6'8" players, but it would be good to have a 6'11" or 7 footer who is a real defensive presence. Certainly could be helpful at times and depending on the teams we are playing.

Looking at UT's roster for 2013-2014, we are just loaded at the guard/wing spots in terms of players, and bare in the posts, even if we make the assumption that Nichols is UT bound and Stokes stays.

PG- Golden/Moore/Landry
SG- Hubbs/Richardson
SF- McRae/Edwards/Reese/Chevious
PF- Nichols/Davis
C- Stokes/Makanjoula

I'd have to think one of Reese/Chevious is not going to be here for 2013-2014. There's no sense for the team and whichever player gets left on the bench for that to happen unless the staff feels Derek Reese is a 4, and he's right now 6'8/208 and listed as a guard.

I really think you'll see a fifth player added to the recruiting class. And I wouldn't say it's impossible to throw in a sixth player to.

I am starting to doubt we take a 5th this year (at least in the early period) simply based on who's available with mutual interest, and I'm quite certain we don't take a 6th.

We are in on too many good players for 2014. There would also need to be some attrition, which I think most agree is likely in some fashion. If JW3 says no to us, I believe we wait and see if anyone opens up in spring (JC player, coaching change victim) or if a transfer becomes available. If not, I think we hold any available spots. CCM's quickly getting himself out of desperation mode and he has little reason to take chances on guys who are of questionable skill levels.

We will lose Edwards, Golden, McRae, Stokes, and who knows, maybe Hubbs after 2013-2014. There will be plenty of schollies.

That's true. I just hope we aren't going to settle for lesser talent if we do take a 5th.

I fully expect a 5th, but doubtful we take 6.

I'd say we sign the 4 early, and as I've said for awhile...watch the juco level.

CCM is keeping tabs on atleast 2 centers in the JUCO ranks and he will continue to monitor them throughout the year. The 5th schoarship will likely come in the spring, would be very surprised to see it come now.

There a riff between Hubbs and JW3?

Some talk that J3 didn't want to play with him, also that he wasn't happy with the attention hubbs got on their visit together...basically wanted to be THE guy.

Also...I think he realizes with hubbs it's likely Nichols follows...and he doesn't want to play with Nichols.

I think we take Nichols and we're done.
Chievous will open some eyes this season at the 3/4.
Reese still fits, being able to play 3 positions, but I could see him leaving for more playing time.
Not sure Richardson stays unless he picks it up on offense.
2014 will be the mega boom class.

I think we take Nichols and we're done.
Chievous will open some eyes this season at the 3/4.
Reese still fits, being able to play 3 positions, but I could see him leaving for more playing time.
2014 will be the mega boom class.

I feel great about 2014.

IMO, this is one possibility nobody is talking about. I suggested it a couple weeks ago and it was met with some disdain. I just think top 150 guys want to play in general, and JR is being recruited over. Granted, he has only played his freshman season and there is definitely room for improvement. Still, if there is not consistent improvement in his game, specifically his offense, he could see his time decrease. Then he has Hubbs to contend with the following season. He may see the writing on the wall if things don't go his way this season.

IMO, this is one possibility nobody is talking about. I suggested it a couple weeks ago and it was met with some disdain. I just think top 150 guys want to play in general, and JR is being recruited over. Granted, he has only played his freshman season and there is definitely room for improvement. Still, if there is not consistent improvement in his game, specifically his offense, he could see his time decrease. Then he has Hubbs to contend with the following season. He may see the writing on the wall if things don't go his way this season.

I agreed with you on this, I think it's very possible.

The 2014 class could drastically change for UT if CCM starts winning big. Recruits like a winner.

The 2014 class could drastically change for UT if CCM starts winning big. Recruits like a winner.

I don't think it'll drastically change as nothing is set yet...he's going after high level recruits.

Obviously winning will make it easier to land them, but CCM already has his targets.

VN Store

Back