2014 Florida Guard Adonys Henriquez

zjcvols

"On a Tennessee saturday night."
Staff member
6'5/190
Orlando, FL
Orland Christian Prep

Tennessee saw him work out today and offered today. Very talented combo guard, but will want to play point guard. Kid could blow up with an impressive offer list. Alabama, Florida, Connecticut, Georgetown, Georgia, Florida State, Miami, and South Florida. Consensus top 70 recruit.

Bump. He has decommited from the U and is reopening his recruitment.

Originally Posted by :
"tennessee, central florida, clemson, usc and vanderbilit have all called and offered among others," he said. "my plan is to train hard in september during the period when coaches can come watch me play and set up some visits for october."

-ESPN

Claims he is not comfortable with the Miami team. Not sure of any further specifics.

Where'd you see him say "he is not comfortable with the Miami team"?

This is the whole ESPN article he did after his decommitment...

Adonys Henriquez decommitted from Miami and other programs, including Tennessee, UCF, Clemson, USC and Vandy, wasted no time offering the ESPN 100 shooting guard.

"There was nothing negative that brought on this decision. I just wanted to weight my options, to make sure I wanted to stay in state vs. looking out of state,” Henriquez said. “I want to still consider Miami."

Henriquez, a smooth, crafty, wing scorer, said the recent commitments of ESPN 100 PG
Ja'Quan Newton (Philadelphia, PA/Neumann-Goretti) and SG
James Palmer (Washington, DC/Saint John's College High School) had no bearing on his decision.

"I like the other guards that are coming in, we would be good together,” he said. “Their commitments had nothing to do with my decision"

Other college basketball programs wasted no time contacting and offering Henriquez once the decommitment became official.

"Tennessee, Central Florida, Clemson, USC and Vanderbilit have all called and offered among others," he said. "My plan is to train hard in September during the period when coaches can come watch me play and set up some visits for October."

He even says he wants to still consider miami.

His trainer.

"That he wants to play with people he's comfortable around, and he's not sure that miami is that place."

I'm not really sure what that means.

His trainer.

"That he wants to play with people he's comfortable around, and he's not sure that miami is that place."

I'm not really sure what that means.

Was that put out somewhere, or something he told you?

Maybe he just doesn't get along with some of their guys, who knows.

Regardless, a talented scorer, would love to add him to the 2014 class.

Something that was told to me. I would take that to mean that he doesn't get along with their guys.

Oh ok, wasn't sure if I had just missed that article or quote. So you're in on his recruitment, any idea where he's headed?

Yea he may just not get along with one of the guys that committed...better to part ways now than in 2 years be unhappy.

Oh ok, wasn't sure if I had just missed that article or quote. So you're in on his recruitment, any idea where he's headed?

Yea he may just not get along with one of the guys that committed...better to part ways now than in 2 years be unhappy.

I jus know some people in the AAU circuit in Cental Florida.

I have no clue where he's headed, other than it most likely won't be Miami.

Miami signs two more SG's, JaQuan Newton and James Palmer, one of whom is more highly ranked, and, then, Henriquez de-commits. Maybe he doesn't like being "recruited over" in the same class. Maybe he doesn't want to compete for playing time. Maybe he doesn't like South Beach. I don't know, however I think extreme "due diligence" might be appropriate in any further recruitment of this player.

Miami signs two more SG's, JaQuan Newton and James Palmer, one of whom is more highly ranked, and, then, Henriquez de-commits. Maybe he doesn't like being "recruited over" in the same class. Maybe he doesn't want to compete for playing time. Maybe he doesn't like South Beach. I don't know, however I think extreme "due diligence" might be appropriate in any further recruitment of this player.[/QUOTE]

Why is this?

Palmer is listed as a pg.(Rivals) so I doubt his committment had any impact.

Miami signs two more SG's, JaQuan Newton and James Palmer, one of whom is more highly ranked, and, then, Henriquez de-commits. Maybe he doesn't like being "recruited over" in the same class. Maybe he doesn't want to compete for playing time. Maybe he doesn't like South Beach. I don't know, however I think extreme "due diligence" might be appropriate in any further recruitment of this player.[/QUOTE]

Why is this?

Palmer is listed as a pg.(Rivals) so I doubt his committment had any impact.

Some services show Palmer as a point guard. Others have him as a shooting guard. I'm guessing that makes him a combo guard. Regardless, when a prospect de-commits after a flurry of signings, at what may be his position, I think a good program needs to look long and hard at the reasons for his decision before offering. They may be important to the potential suitor; they may not be important.

Some services show Palmer as a point guard. Others have him as a shooting guard. I'm guessing that makes him a combo guard. Regardless, when a prospect de-commits after a flurry of signings, at what may be his position, I think a good program needs to look long and hard at the reasons for his decision before offering. They may be important to the potential suitor; they may not be important.

Well in our case we already have almost a full class, so he wouldn't exactly have to worry about us getting a flurry of commitments.

So this whole due diligence thing doesn't really apply to us and henriquez IMO

Well in our case we already have almost a full class, so he wouldn't exactly have to worry about us getting a flurry of commitments.

So this whole due diligence thing doesn't really apply to us and henriquez IMO

Actually, I imagine it would especially apply to you. Henriquez has already left one program. If I were a Div 1 coach, I would want to be very clear about his reasons for leaving before I offered him a scholarship. If he left Miami because he didn't want competition at his position, why would he stay at Tennessee if Martin signed an elite SG next year? IF that was his reason for de-committing. There might have been another, perfectly acceptable cause that he de-committed. I think it is through that due diligence I mentioned that a coach learns the truth.

Actually, I imagine it would especially apply to you. Henriquez has already left one program. If I were a Div 1 coach, I would want to be very clear about his reasons for leaving before I offered him a scholarship. If he left Miami because he didn't want competition at his position, why would he stay at Tennessee if Martin signed an elite SG next year? IF that was his reason for de-committing. There might have been another, perfectly acceptable cause that he de-committed. I think it is through that due diligence I mentioned that a coach learns the truth.

If he's willing to come here and compete with a 5* will be sophomore in Robert Hubbs then I'm not to worried. Basically what I'm saying is...if he ends up deciding he's seriously interested in us, knowing our roster situation and incoming class, then I'm not all that worried about him "him not wanting to compete".
Does that make sense?

Last edited:
Miami signs two more SG's, JaQuan Newton and James Palmer, one of whom is more highly ranked, and, then, Henriquez de-commits. Maybe he doesn't like being "recruited over" in the same class. Maybe he doesn't want to compete for playing time. Maybe he doesn't like South Beach. I don't know, however I think extreme "due diligence" might be appropriate in any further recruitment of this player.

Palmer and Newton are both more PGs than SGs. I think Henriquez just doesn't care for someone on the Miami staff, current team or 2014 recruiting class.

I was never all that impressed with Henriquez in the first place. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he landed at UCF.

Do we need another PG? I'd rather sign a talented 3/4/5 but thats just me.

Oh in the summary posted in the OP, it says he'd want to run point.

That was from a year ago, so his game has likely evolved. Here's a recent evaluation:

Strengths:
Henriquez is a long, lean streaky athletic smooth and skilled wing with a excellent basketball IQ. He can get to the rim and finish with touch and body control on drives, slashes and floaters. He knocks down open threes and is unselfish enough to work to get teammates involved. He has a nice handle and keeps the ball moving. He can help at the point in a pinch as well.

Weaknesses:
Would prefer that he settle into a position. His foot speed is not fast and by athletic standards he's average at best. Tends to be too casual with the basketball in his hands but does wind up making solid decisions. Would love to see him diversify his offense and become more of a perimeter threat instead of being an opportunistic scorer.

Bottom Line:
This is a talented kid who hails from the Orlando area. Wanted to make an early decision and did so as a junior. Tennessee, Central Florida and Miami where his leading suitors. Miami plays multiple guard sets and he'll be used in a combo role as a facilitating playmaker. An excellent pick up and back end top 100 player.

So sounds like he could play some point if needed, but he's more of a 2/3 now and has realized that.

VN Store

Back