Random Rumblings

zjcvols

"On a Tennessee saturday night."
Staff member
One of my favorite rappers, Ab-Soul, says in one of his songs that "Sometimes I like to go on a tangent of random ****." This is what this post is. Random **** about UT basketball. Let's go:

1. For a non-regular basketball fan, I don't think people understand how good Robert Hubbs is. He's got a chance to be a lottery pick in a couple years in the NBA draft. He gives UT an explosive scoring, two way player that can get into the paint and wants to drive the ball to the basket. He can also shoot. He's a complete player.

2. With Hubbs' and Davis' commitments, everyone is talking about 2013-2014 season. And rightfully so. Has a chance to be special for UT. But I truly believe this upcoming year can be special too. So much experience coming back, and UT's starting five can match with almost anyone's in the country. If Kenny Hall can keep his head into the season and Yemi continues to improve (and those are big questions) UT might have a top five frontcourt in the country.

3. Everyone is excited about Jarnell Stokes, and people are getting exciting what they are hearing from Jordan McRae, but I honestly believe Trae Golden is going to have a monster season. He's lost weight and is quicker, and I think he's going to be committed to defense for the entire year.

4. People were concerned when Cuonzo was hired that he wouldn't bring an "exciting" style of offense to the Hill. I felt this was overblown and I think the commitments of Davis and Hubbs, along with the recruitment of JW3, shows that Cuonzo wants athletes. Tennessee isn't going to average 80 points a game in the Cuonzo Martin era, but it really doesn't matter. I expect UT to push the tempo a little bit in the coming years.

5. UT's biggest weakness this coming year? Consistency from the wings. If I gave a grade last year, I felt it was a C- for the wing players last year. Nobody was consistent. This is where I think D'Montre Edwards is going to help. He's not going to be a big scorer. But he's going to bring great D every night, rebound the hell out of the ball, and I think provide some long range shooting. He's going to be a big part of UT's success.

6. I think think UT needs Jordan McRae. People aren't buying. I thought considering everything, he had a decent last year. He grew up last year and I would venture to say he's the emotional leader of the Vols. We just need consistency from Jordan. I think he provides that.

7. I was reading Lindy's College Basketball Preview (not too bad, but I disagreed with a good portion of it), but something caught my eye. Jarnell Stokes was their upcoming SEC Player of the Year. I think it shows that UT fans aren't crazy for expecting some great things from the 18 year old Stokes this season.

8. Will UT play zone defense this year? I'm not sure. I don't think it's completely necessary. It's not like Duke, UConn, or UK was in zone 20% of the time. I don't mind the changeup, but I think the bigger issue is that the team needs to do a better job on help defense. If they do that, I don't think we need that much zone.

9. However, I think teams are going to try and play zone D against us a good bit early, especially in the Puerto Rico Tourney. It's imperative for UT to show they can beat zone defense. McRae, McBee, and Edwards shooting well from outside would really go a long ways.

10. UT basketball is in really good shape. I haven't felt this much excitement around the program since UT had the #2 seed and picked up a top 10 class in 2008. There were a lot of questions about Cuonzo Martin when he was hired, and some were understandable. But with the great improvement UT had last year, and now Cuonzo picking up two five star commitments, UT is in great shape to be a national top 20 program. And if Cuonzo can pick up Austin and JW3, that's starting to put a fence around Tennessee that the basketball program hasn't had in a long time. I think this year will show Martin's coaching ability, and UT has a big year. Guys, get excited about UT basketball! You have every right to. I firmly believe Cuonzo Martin is going to take UT basketball to new heights. It's going to be awesome.

Go Vols! :hi:

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 people
A lot of goals for the team this year, but one of mine is I want to see us win at Rupp. I was there the last time the Vols beat UK at Rupp. This year, I'll be going to the UT@UK game again and it's the first time I've been back to see them at Rupp. Time to break that streak :rock:

This year should be fun to watch, I can't wait. I think we will have the talent and depth to make a deep run in the tourney.

A lot of goals for the team this year, but one of mine is I want to see us win at Rupp. I was there the last time the Vols beat UK at Rupp. This year, I'll be going to the UT@UK game again and it's the first time I've been back to see them at Rupp. Time to break that streak :rock:

This would make my year!! Last time I went we lost, when they had Wall & co. But living in Lexington there is nothing that would make me happier than wearing my orange after Cal's first L in Rupp.

One of my favorite rappers, Ab-Soul, says in one of his songs that "Sometimes I like to go on a tangent of random ****." This is what this post is. Random **** about UT basketball. Let's go:

1. For a non-regular basketball fan, I don't think people understand how good Robert Hubbs is. He's got a chance to be a lottery pick in a couple years in the NBA draft. He gives UT an explosive scoring, two way player that can get into the paint and wants to drive the ball to the basket. He can also shoot. He's a complete player.

2. With Hubbs' and Davis' commitments, everyone is talking about 2013-2014 season. And rightfully so. Has a chance to be special for UT. But I truly believe this upcoming year can be special too. So much experience coming back, and UT's starting five can match with almost anyone's in the country. If Kenny Hall can keep his head into the season and Yemi continues to improve (and those are big questions) UT might have a top five frontcourt in the country.

3. Everyone is excited about Jarnell Stokes, and people are getting exciting what they are hearing from Jordan McRae, but I honestly believe Trae Golden is going to have a monster season. He's lost weight and is quicker, and I think he's going to be committed to defense for the entire year.

4. People were concerned when Cuonzo was hired that he wouldn't bring an "exciting" style of offense to the Hill. I felt this was overblown and I think the commitments of Davis and Hubbs, along with the recruitment of JW3, shows that Cuonzo wants athletes. Tennessee isn't going to average 80 points a game in the Cuonzo Martin era, but it really doesn't matter. I expect UT to push the tempo a little bit in the coming years.

5. UT's biggest weakness this coming year? Consistency from the wings. If I gave a grade last year, I felt it was a C- for the wing players last year. Nobody was consistent. This is where I think D'Montre Edwards is going to help. He's not going to be a big scorer. But he's going to bring great D every night, rebound the hell out of the ball, and I think provide some long range shooting. He's going to be a big part of UT's success.

6. I think think UT needs Jordan McRae. People aren't buying. I thought considering everything, he had a decent last year. He grew up last year and I would venture to say he's the emotional leader of the Vols. We just need consistency from Jordan. I think he provides that.

7. I was reading Lindy's College Basketball Preview (not too bad, but I disagreed with a good portion of it), but something caught my eye. Jarnell Stokes was their upcoming SEC Player of the Year. I think it shows that UT fans aren't crazy for expecting some great things from the 18 year old Stokes this season.

8. Will UT play zone defense this year? I'm not sure. I don't think it's completely necessary. It's not like Duke, UConn, or UK was in zone 20% of the time. I don't mind the changeup, but I think the bigger issue is that the team needs to do a better job on help defense. If they do that, I don't think we need that much zone.

9. However, I think teams are going to try and play zone D against us a good bit early, especially in the Puerto Rico Tourney. It's imperative for UT to show they can beat zone defense. McRae, McBee, and Edwards shooting well from outside would really go a long ways.

10. UT basketball is in really good shape. I haven't felt this much excitement around the program since UT had the #2 seed and picked up a top 10 class in 2008. There were a lot of questions about Cuonzo Martin when he was hired, and some were understandable. But with the great improvement UT had last year, and now Cuonzo picking up two five star commitments, UT is in great shape to be a national top 20 program. And if Cuonzo can pick up Austin and JW3, that's starting to put a fence around Tennessee that the basketball program hasn't had in a long time. I think this year will show Martin's coaching ability, and UT has a big year. Guys, get excited about UT basketball! You have every right to. I firmly believe Cuonzo Martin is going to take UT basketball to new heights. It's going to be awesome.

When Hubbs & Davis get on campus, Dwight Miller will be gone. Kenny Hall will be gone. Stokes will be gone.
So, we will gain five new players that season but we will also lose 5 players.

This year should be fun to watch, I can't wait. I think we will have the talent and depth to make a deep run in the tourney.

I think a top 4 seed in the tourney is very reachable.

When Hubbs & Davis get on campus, Dwight Miller will be gone. Kenny Hall will be gone. Stokes will be gone.

And replaced by top 50 players.

What sounds better. Miller, McBee, and Hall or Nichols, JW3, and Hubbs?

IMO: I think there is a good chance Stokes comes back for his junior year. I think this for a few reasons. First, Stokes is, age wise, really a freshman this year. I think he may stay to gain some maturity (not saying he is immature just that he is young for his grade). Second, Stokes had a really great freshman year given the circumstances but he is not an explosive athlete. I think he is a Jared Sullinger-type player but I am not sure he is as good as Sullinger. This year will go a long way in showing if he is that quality of a player. My point is that Sullinger, who was also not an explosive athlete, fell to the lower part of the first round (though injuries certainly impacted his stock). I think Stokes may be a similar player and have a similar fate (hoping no injuries). Third, UT could have a really great team his junior year, which could help his draft stock. Thus, I am not sure he comes out. I think it is 50/50.

For me, I am rooting for him to be either a top 10 pick or come back for his junior year as either option would help UT long term.

Thought this was going to be another one of those Storm posts.

Can't drink the McRae-derade yet.
In a wait and see mode. Can the leopard change its spots?

On the offense.
A well run motion offense is a beautiful and exciting thing to watch when done properly.

it allows players to be more creative. helps if you have great individual talent. does take longer to develop.

We really didn't see much of it last year because we spent so much time on teaching defense.

We'll get a better dose this year and with more highly skilled players coming in 2013, it's going to get exciting.

Reactions: 1 person

I was all set to disagree with the McRae evaluation, but to Jordy's credit, he does stay positive and is up encouraging his teammates when he gets pine time for his own uninspired play. There is something to be said for that. Scotty Hopson and McRae were a lot alike as players on the court, but SH let his negative emotions and body language affect his teammates and he moped on the bench.

I, like calban, am in wait-and-see mode on McRae on the court. He has shown little, to no improvement and still has little desire to defend at a high level like CCM wants. Has/will the light come on? If it does, watch out, because this team will be VERY dangerous.

I was all set to disagree with the McRae evaluation, but to Jordy's credit, he does stay positive and is up encouraging his teammates when he gets pine time for his own uninspired play. There is something to be said for that. Scotty Hopson and McRae were a lot alike as players on the court, but SH let his negative emotions and body language affect his teammates and he moped on the bench.

I, like calban, am in wait-and-see mode on McRae on the court. He has shown little, to no improvement and still has little desire to defend at a high level like CCM wants. Has/will the light come on? If it does, watch out, because this team will be VERY dangerous.

That is why I believe in him. That positive attitude he has, and the fact he is a team player. I think it just took a little bit of time.

Jordan was the hardest worker IMO in the open practice Saturday, that made me feel VERY good about this teams ceiling.

Alot hinges on McRae IMO.

Jordan was the hardest worker IMO in the open practice Saturday, that made me feel VERY good about this teams ceiling.

Alot hinges on McRae IMO.

It's not his game or ability. It's his head. We waited for Scotty's to clear and it never did.

Can't rely on him until we see him play in the SEC and see how he responds.

It's not his game or ability. It's his head. We waited for Scotty's to clear and it never did.

Can't rely on him until we see him play in the SEC and see how he responds.

Right. Just like with SH, we have seen the talent. I just want to see McRae fight through the bad nights, and not hang his head. He needs to not let bad offensive nights affect other areas of his game. True emotional leaders fight thru that adversity. Jordy lifts up his teammates, but he needs to work on lifting himself up.

Just my two cents, but at the open practice I thought Edwards looked slow. It may have just been me but he didn't look as athletic as some of the other wing players and the release on his shot took a long time. I don't see him taking too many minutes from Josh Richardson.

Is there a short list of replacements if Cuonzo doesn't get to 15 wins this season?
Great OP.
Thanks for posting.
Sorry for my humorless humor!

Is there a short list of replacements if Cuonzo doesn't get to 15 wins this season?
Great OP.
Thanks for posting.
Sorry for my humorless humor!

I almost went bonkers. Nicely played.

:hi:

And regarding the zone. They need to practice it, and they need to play some aggressive minutes with it at certain times. At minimum, they need to learn to practice it well so the team can get better offensively against it. Going against a crappy zone D in practice the week of a game against a zone team is detrimental. Almost better off going against air.

If I had to pick just ONE goal for this upcoming season, it would be to win the SEC tourney. We have struggled mightily there for years. Winning it would not only get that monkey off our backs finally, but would give us great momentum heading into the post season. Winning championships in BB is all about playing well at the right time.

Reactions: 1 person
#6. Been my tune for two years now. Please Mr. McRae...be the athletic and unstoppable player I know you can be. When he's on, he reminds me of a more athletic street ball version of JaJuan Smith. I don't think he'll be nearly as inconsistant as he has been and I think we tell a great deal in his improved basketball IQ.

VN Store

Back