Should CCM have gotten a raise???

bleedingTNorange

I think this was discussed before, but we can revisit...

As Griff said now on the radio, a big 10 school is gonna come calling offering 2+ million a year, what's UT gonna do?

I understand both sides, if I'm Hart I gave a small raise after last year, and if this season is a success, and with this class...he's getting a big raise and making top 3 money in the SEC.

Have to show a committment to the coach and the sport.

JMO, flame away.

Let him get to the tourney first.

Then extension is in order.

Reactions: 1 person
Let him get to the tourney first.

Then extension is in order.

That's fair.

I just feel, and again jmo....if you have someone you feel you want, make them feel wanted and pay them. Show a committment to CCM and show him you want him here for a long long time....

JMO

That's fair.

I just feel, and again jmo....if you have someone you feel you want, make them feel wanted and pay them. Show a committment to CCM and show him you want him here for a long long time....

JMO

Giving someone an extension after their second year is showing lots of love.

Giving someone an extension after their second year is showing lots of love.

Very true...however if a few schools come calling...is our offer construed as only because someone else is interested or because we're committed?

My position is dont wait...that's why I said small raise...then in position for big raise after this year. That shows a committment to him before anyone came calling...JMO.

Remember Weis at Notre Dame? You don't lock down a coach with a huge money extension until they show sustained success. Zo had a hell of a year, and I have been VERY outspoken in my support of what he is doing. I might even have a bit of a man crush. That said, it's still smart business. He had a decent/good year when we were expecting a bad one. He showed a lot of POTENTIAL, and gave us every reason to think he WILL BE successful. He still has to go and show more than just potential though. If he makes the tourney this year, he gets a big time lockdown contract. You can't risk the future of the program just based on the sample size he's given us so far, even if you are brimming with optimism.

As for a small raise. That would be seen exactly as what it is. A tiny token. Let him succeed and then reward him for succeeding. Zo isn't going to turn down any offers just bc of a small raise. He's not going anywhere anyway.

Last edited:
I think he will rightfully earn his extension / raise at the end of this year's basketball season.

That's fair.

JMO

We showed he was wanted by giving him the job in the first place....I have 100% faith he will earn a big raise and extension this yr......no big ten school is going to pay his huge buy out when he has never made the tournament.

Overreacting is how you get Charlie Weis signed to a ten yr contract.

We showed he was wanted by giving him the job in the first place....I have 100% faith he will earn a big raise and extension this yr......no big ten school is going to pay his huge buy out when he has never made the tournament.

Thanks for reminding me it was Weis, not Willingham. I corrected. Great minds think alike though.

Remember Ty Willingham at Notre Dame? You don't lock down a coach with a huge money extension until they show sustained success. Zo had a hell of a year, and I have been VERY outspoken in my support of what he is doing. I might even have a bit of a man crush. That said, it's still smart business. He had a decent/good year when we were expecting a bad one. He showed a lot of POTENTIAL, and gave us every reason to think he WILL BE successful. He still has to go and show more than just potential though. If he makes the tourney this year, he gets a big time lockdown contract. You can't risk the future of the program just based on the sample size he's given us so far, even if you are brimming with optimism.

As for a small raise. That would be seen exactly as what it is. A tiny token. Let him succeed and then reward him for succeeding. Zo isn't going to turn down any offers just bc of a small raise. He's not going anywhere anyway.

This.

I really like CCM, but he hasn't done anything yet. Let's make the big dance and then we can talk.

Once again, I wasn't suggesting extension or huge raise...100k raise for this year would be very small but show a committment. No matter how it's spun, if a school calls and THEN we decide to give a raise...it can be taken we are only wanting him now someone else does.

As i said, I'm ok either way, if I'm AD I gave a SMALL raise for this year, if the AD is UT IE 95 I fired him...JMO

Tennessee's broke.
It's going to come down to Martin loving UT as much as we love him until the financial situation improves.

Once again, I wasn't suggesting extension or huge raise...100k raise for this year would be very small but show a committment. No matter how it's spun, if a school calls and THEN we decide to give a raise...it can be taken we are only wanting him now someone else does.

As i said, I'm ok either way, if I'm AD I gave a SMALL raise for this year, if the AD is UT IE 95 I fired him...JMO

I think our AD and school can show commitment to basketball by the support and resources they give the program and not with a minimal raise.

I think our AD and school can show commitment to basketball by the support and resources they give the program and not with a minimal raise.

This is a solid point. All indications are that Hart is doing just that. We may have to hitch our AD wagons to basketball for a little while.

On a side note, this is a great at respectful discussion on all sides. The basketball board is a breath of fresh air on a morning like this. I have been avoiding talk of football like the plague. Emotions over there swing so wildly out of control.

I agree you wanna make sure he can get us deep in the tourney, but Stokes and Hubbs are pretty big recruiting gets and looks like he's gonna get more. If he gets early love from us, before Big Ten schools comes calling, he may show us love and stay since we showed love and gave him his $$$ before someone else did. Jmo

This is a solid point. All indications are that Hart is doing just that. We may have to hitch our AD wagons to basketball for a little while.

On a side note, this is a great at respectful discussion on all sides. The basketball board is a breath of fresh air on a morning like this. I have been avoiding talk of football like the plague. Emotions over there swing so wildly out of control.

I don't blame them.....I was at the game Saturday night and was about to leap off the top of the stadium when our band started playing living on a prayer. LOL

I agree you wanna make sure he can get us deep in the tourney, but Stokes and Hubbs are pretty big recruiting gets and looks like he's gonna get more. If he gets early love from us, before Big Ten schools comes calling, he may show us love and stay since we showed love and gave him his $$$ before someone else did. Jmo

Basically how I feel, definitely understand the flip side too though.

We will find the money to pay him what we think he deserves.

Not every decision in life is made over money.
Our Athletic program lost 4 million last year and ate up most of a meager 5 million surplus.
Most big time programs have 5 to 10 times that much in reserve and can afford to pay big bucks.

Martin's decision to come to TN wasn't made lightly and it wasn't about the big bucks.
He knows that will come.

Recent recruiting victories and more to come guarantee at least a chance of unseating Kentucky as THE team in the SEC and a major force in college ball.

His words. You want to be remembered forever.
Make a Statement!

Martin will make his and the paycheck will come.

Reactions: 2 people
Basically how I feel, definitely understand the flip side too though.

I see the flip side as well but Tennessee BB isnt historically known as a BB powerhouse. What big name coaches have decided to come here in the past? CCM definitely looks like he can get the job done so why not give him his $$$ make him happy and let him build his legacy here and make UT BB a powerhouse for the future. Even though it didn't last long, we struck gold with CBP. It looks like we may have again with CCM. Will we a third time if CCM leaves? I'm not so confident we will.

I'm with ya dude. I haven't been in the football forum since before the game was over Saturday night. I'm just as depressed over it as anyone else but I couldn't handle all the "fire Dooley, the players suck" BS.

I'm fine with CCM not getting a raise. I'm glad nobody offered (that we know of and stuff like that is hard to keep quiet) but he'll get his money after this season. No doubt in my mind he'll get a raise.

VN Store

Back