Could we be loaded for an explosive 74-75 type season?

calban

If Tennessee finds its identity early as a post oriented team, could we see scoring like the Ernie-Bernie show of 74-75?
Bernard King holds the record of Pts/G at 26.4 (74-75) and Ernie was right behind him with 23.8 (74-75).
Rodney woods set the TN record of 227 assists that season, feeding the E-B show.

With a battle for the 2 and 3 spots producing improvement at those positions, the Vols could be hard to defend.

Styles and strengths aside, what say you about the Jarnell-Jerrone duo this coming season.

I think major college basketball has evolved to the point where you may never see something like the Ernie and Bernie show ever again. Two players averaging 26 & 24 points respectively seems INSANE in today's game.

That said, while the scoring won't be as high, I fully expect Stokes and Maymon to exude a low post dominance the likes we have never seen before at UT.

I don't know that those scoring averages will ever be matched..

I see jarnell around 15ppg and jeronne around 13ppg. Both guys will be dominate and those numbers could go up if Jordan and skylar shot attempts go down.

Trae still probably getting 10ppg with late free throws, but his assists around 5-6 a game.

I expect Jordan to average 10+ a game, dmontre around 8-9 a game.

We averaged 68.8 ppg last year, I see that number rising to around 72 this year, jmo.

The J-J show won't be as entertaining as the Ernie & Bernie show, but the Vols should be dominant in the post.

Yeah, not sure that's possible anymore. It would probably take two elite players playing with a bunch of scrubs or something. Problem is, any team with two players good enough to do it, they have too many other quality players to share the ball with. Derrick Rose averaged 14.9 and that was in CUSA. Look at him in the NBA now. Even in a poor conference, his supporting cast was so good that he didn't need to score that much on their way to the finals. Kemba Walker averaged 24pts during their championship run, next closest was 11. John Jenkins and Jeff Taylor averaged 19.9 and 16.4 last season. Wall, Cousins and Patterson averaged 16.6, 15.1 and 14.3. Hansbrough and Ellington averaged 22.6 and 16.6. Nolan Smith, Kyrie Irving and Kyle Singler averaged 20.6, 17.5 and 16.9. Gerald Henderson, Kyle Singler and Jon Sheyer averaged 16.5, 16.5 and 14.9. JJ Redick 26.8pts, 18.8pts Shelden Williams. Next closest was Josh McRoberts with 8.7 points. The year before that, Redick 21.8pts, 15.5pts, 15.3pts. Jason Williams, Carlos Boozer, Mike Dunleavy and Dahntay Jones averaged 21.3, 18.2, 17.3 and 11.2. That was a decade ago though.

Maybe it's possible I guess but it seems to be hard to have two guys break 20 points apiece because if they're that good, they're probably on a good team with other good players. John Wall and Demarcus Cousins for instance, I don't think they would have had a probably scoring 20 apiece if it was for the all the other talent they were playing with. There are definitely tandems that have been capable of doing it in recent years but they didn't need to. I guess I'm just looking at good teams and I haven't exactly look at many teams/years. You might have to go back to Duke/UNC/UNLV/Kentucky in the 90's or look at some crappy teams. Maybe the Big East. Idk... my post has really just become a rant with no real substance haha... :)

So, in the limited teams and seasons I looked at, Duke came the closest. Surprised it was Redick and Williams though. I had Jay Will, Dunleavy and Boozer in mind.

Seeing as it's hard to find other teams with two players scoring 20, I doubt we'll see it here.

I think major college basketball has evolved to the point where you may never see something like the Ernie and Bernie show ever again. Two players averaging 26 & 24 points respectively seems INSANE in today's game.

That said, while the scoring won't be as high, I fully expect Stokes and Maymon to exude a low post dominance the likes we have never seen before at UT.

I was attending UT during that season. Maybe what is more insane than just what Ernie & Bernard did was the fact that Mike Jackson averaged about 13 points per game, and Rodney Woods almost 9 to go along with his assists.....with no shot clock (which often resulted in teams trying to hold the ball to slow down the offense) and no 3-point shots. They were fun to watch. Go Vols!

What still seems impossible to me is pistol averaging 44+, with no shot clock, and no 3 point line....INSANITY!

I agree. The game has evolved so much since then and it's rare to have one guy on a team avg 20+ ppg, let alone two. It's too much of a perimeter-oriented game now too. When E and B played, they benefited from no 3-point line, so there was more incentive to get the ball in the paint for higher% shots. Nowadays, there is incentive to shoot from outside and the game has evolved into one that is a more balanced paint/perimeter format.

What still seems impossible to me is pistol averaging 44+, with no shot clock, and no 3 point line....INSANITY!
Pistol averaged a ton of shots. He took as many shots by himself - 3,166 in just three seasons - as Ernie and Bernie took in seven seaons (4 for Ernie and 3 for Bernard) combined - 3086 shots.

Both Ernie and Bernie were career 50 plus pct shooters. Pistol was a 43 pct shooter.

Pistol was amazing - a wizard ball handler - but he had carte blanche to shoot whenever and wherever.

And, yes, with a 3 point line he probably would have averaged 60.

Pistol averaged a ton of shots. He took as many shots by himself - 3,166 in just three seasons - as Ernie and Bernie took in seven seaons (4 for Ernie and 3 for Bernard) combined - 3086 shots.

Both Ernie and Bernie were career 50 plus pct shooters. Pistol was a 43 pct shooter.

Pistol was amazing - a wizard ball handler - but he had carte blanche to shoot whenever and wherever.

And, yes, with a 3 point line he probably would have averaged 60.

Impressive no matter how it's spun.

VN Store

Back