2014 Georgia Forward Phil Cofer

zjcvols

"On a Tennessee saturday night."
Staff member
6'7/205
Atlanta, Georgia
Whitewater High School

Son of former UT football player Mike Cofer. UT has offered and is currently the leader for him. Has offers from Cincinnati, Miami (FL), and Ole Miss.

ESPN Scouting Report

Strengths:
Cofer is a very athletic power forward that is active and aggressive. He attacks the glass on both ends and snatches rebounds in and out of his area. He is a tip in and tip dunk threat if not aggressively and physically boxed out. Cofer runs the floor well and finishes above the rim over or around defenders. Cofer gets to the rim with short quick drives where he can score with his quick first step or draw the foul. Cofer can also defensive rebound at rim level and start the break.

Weaknesses:
Cofer must add strength and work to build his offensive skill package in the areas of back to the basket moves and short face up jumpers.

Bottom Line:
Cofer is very athletic power forward that excels in transition. He is an above the rim finisher, high level rebounder and shot blocker. His defense is ahead of his offense but as his skills develop his game will go to the next level because he has great upside.

Sounds like a great prospect. I am even more excited after reading a little write up on him than I was when he was first brought up on here. "Stop's" boy sounds like a perfect CCM-type player...

Looks like he likes to go up and get everything. I wouldn't mind having him on the team at all!

“@OntheRadarHoops: After a big first quarter 2014 PF Phil Cofer @LifeisDeep_ finished with 39pts *12rbs 2blks to lead Whitewater (GA) to a win”

Reactions: 1 person
Wow, made it on ESPN. I've been high on this kid awhile, hopefully our early interest and his Tennessee ties pay off, he's starting to blow up...

ESPN INSIDER ARTICLE

Cofer has the attention of elite programs:

Currently rated the No. 10 junior in the talent-rich state of Georgia, Phil Cofer (Atlanta/Whitewater) is a power forward enjoying a great start to the season and beginning to receive offers from elite programs all over the country.

"I have been playing real well," says Cofer, a 6-foot-8, 205-pound post fresh off a monster 39-point, 13-rebound effort Friday afternoon during the Lanier Tournament.

His impressive list of offers reflects how well he has performed. Cofer notes Alabama, Miami (Fla.), Tennessee, Ole Miss, South Carolina, Georgia and Georgia Tech have offered, while Ohio State and Florida and others have varied interest. And Cofer is still holding out hope that another Southern program will come calling.

“I hope North Carolina checks me out because I like their style of play and their fans,” he says.

Cofer was evaluated at the Super Soph Camp and has continued to improve significantly as a junior. He is a strong and physical post who finishes above the rim and rebounds in and out of his area. He’s also an excellent shot blocker with very good timing off the floor. Cofer runs the floor well and has an excellent motor. He is a tough matchup because he can face-up and straight-line drive past less mobile defenders and can overpower smaller defenders.

"My shot has really improved especially from the midrange areas,” Cofer adds. “I am still very good at rebounding and blocking shots, but will need to keep working on my ballhandling."

Cofer has also made a name for himself playing on the travel circuit with the Georgia Stars and he’s definitely one of the rising stars in this loaded Class of 2014.

Cofer was posting all sorts of stuff about Tennessee last night, was watching the game. Said the reason "we" aren't sinning is because "we" aren't playing as a team. Kept saying "we" in his tweets...maybe some good news.

Cofer was posting all sorts of stuff about Tennessee last night, was watching the game. Said the reason "we" aren't sinning is because "we" aren't playing as a team. Kept saying "we" in his tweets...maybe some good news.

Martin can't recruit though....sigh

BTO, go check out and see who CCM is following. He stopped following Looney and Cofer. Only following the 2013 class. What's up with that?

Son of a UT player might make it easier.....martin needs to get more consistent with his recruiting....he either hits a home run or strikes out.

Here come the excuses for if Cofer commits here....

Aj Davis? That's the consistency you want. Star player (Hubbs) and some solid guys (AJ)

Here come the excuses for if Cofer commits here....

Aj Davis? That's the consistency you want. Star player (Hubbs) and some solid guys (AJ)

He is not proven to be consistent yet..he is not a top 150 guy.......what excuses are you talking about? I want good recruits and I want Martin to succeed.

He is not proven to be consistent yet..he is not a top 150 guy.......what excuses are you talking about? I want good recruits and I want Martin to succeed.

He's a SEC/ACC caliber player, not sure what more you want.

If you're looking for Kentucky or Florida type classes you're gonna be dissapointed.

He's a SEC/ACC caliber player, not sure what more you want.

If you're looking for Kentucky or Florida type classes you're gonna be dissapointed.

Guys rated in the top 150 would be a great start.....I'm not expecting a Kentucky class and I actually like AJ but Martin still has a ways to go.

VN Store

Back