Billy Donovan: Vols Team to Beat in SEC

The comments at GVX are always good for a laugh. The trolls over there must get text alerts every time an article goes up.

Back on topic. I think if Donavon coached in a lot of other places besides Florida, UT fans would appreciate him. He doesn't make an a.s.s of himself on the bench, wins and loses graciously, and always puts a competitive product on the floor. It's just hard to get over him being a gator for some people.

Reactions: 5 people
The comments at GVX are always good for a laugh. The trolls over there must get text alerts every time an article goes up.

Back on topic. I think if Donavon coached in a lot of other places besides Florida, UT fans would appreciate him. He doesn't make an a.s.s of himself on the bench, wins and loses graciously, and always puts a competitive product on the floor. It's just hard to get over him being a gator for some people.

Those guys blow my mind every time I make the mistake of looking at the comment section.

Reactions: 2 people
Personally I feel it's UF as the team to beat, but you treks gear coaches say that about themselves. Also, with the trouble UF has verse Tennessee, maybe he's trying a new approach.

All seriousness though, I do think UF and Tennessee on paper have a chance to be 1 & 2, but that's why they play the games.

I love Billy Donovan as a coach. I think he's underrated which is odd for a guy with two titles. That said, this comment is silly.

If your Mama had balls she'd be your Daddy. He IS the coach @ FL so we DON'T appreciate him.

If only we had a real PG

Serious or sarcastic?

If serious not sure I understand. Golden is more than adequate and that was as a first year PG, a year in which he was arguably a top 3-5 PG in the SEC. Given a full off season to work with a great PG in asst coach Webster, I'm not sure PG is our biggest area of concern.

Kinda both. I think he played well considering and he should only get better

I love Billy Donovan as a coach. I think he's underrated which is odd for a guy with two titles. That said, this comment is silly.

Well you know he won't say his own team is the team to beat so that leaves Tennessee and Kentucky. I'm a bit surprised he "shunned" KY like that, but I don't think we're that far behind UK, if at all. With that said, I also wouldn't think we're clearly the better team than KY and am surprised he amounts us that spot and not even mention KY in the same sentence.

Why is it silly? If you coached a team that had done to them what we did to Florida last year, you would be talking that team up too. You're not gonna poor mouth a team that blew you out at home.

I'd still take Florida. But we are definitely top four.

Why is it silly? If you coached a team that had done to them what we did to Florida last year, you would be talking that team up too. You're not gonna poor mouth a team that blew you out at home.

There is a clear difference in poor-mouthing, and annointing a paper champion. He could have done neither, and saved face. I think its a little premature to be speculating that a team with holes at two positions (SG and SF) will win the conference. However, I will acknowledge that its unlikely that a class guy like Donovan would pick his own team and boast about their talents, so I can see why he picked the obvious two other programs who have either talent or experience on their side.

Are we really expected to be that good next year? If so that is good to hear!

We should be ncaa tourney team and close if not in the top 25 most of the season.

If UT starts strong in Puerto Rico I would assume they jump up into the top 15 pretty soon. I think a lot of people are waiting to see which UT team is taking the floor in 2012-2013. The one that looked horrible during last year's OOC schedule, the team that looked mediocre the last 3 games of the season, or the squad that went on a tear down the stretch of the SEC schedule. If UT comes out strong, I bet a lot of national media jumps on the bandwagon.

If UT starts strong in Puerto Rico I would assume they jump up into the top 15 pretty soon. I think a lot of people are waiting to see which UT team is taking the floor in 2012-2013. The one that looked horrible during last year's OOC schedule, the team that looked mediocre the last 3 games of the season, or the squad that went on a tear down the stretch of the SEC schedule. If UT comes out strong, I bet a lot of national media jumps on the bandwagon.

That's a good point. If we start out winnig that tourney and beating a top 5-10 team in nc state, we could definitely jump up very quickly. Pretty exciting to think about!

I'll wait and see how Golden has progressed. He is the key IMO. We'll be pretty solid everywhere else. Fla and Ky will still be formidable. Candy should take a big step back.

VN Store

Back