SEC champions and Final Four the goal...

bleedingTNorange

Just thought I'd share this. I'm sure lots of players on all different teams say these things, but the players for Tennessee really ALL seem to be buying in.

These guys, including Armani Moore and d'montre Edwards hit the gym and keep telling current players can't wait to get to knox. Ready to get in the gym and work towards our goal, the final four.

Jeronne Maymon is home, but keeps telling everybody, can't wait to get home and start grinding. Road to the SEC Champs he keeps saying.

Stokes, golden, McRae, Richardson and Moore, all saying the same thing. They're all in the gym everyday and are making it known what the goals are next year.

It's just very exciting to see these guys all working hard and knowing what their goal is for this year. Here to hoping they reach their goals!!!

Reactions: 1 person
Not to be that guy, but that's every team's goal starting out. Even when Buzz was here, I am sure that's the slogans used in the offseason.

Cheer for the Vols, and hope we make a Final Four? Hell no!

(translation of above posters)

I don't know why having reasonable expectations is so frowned upon. If the football team was tweeting about an undefeated National Championship, people would be beside themselves laughing about it.

Realistically this team can have a very good season and possibly win an SEC Championship and/or SEC tourney championship (something they never accomplished under the 12 team format). But for these guys to be putting "final 4" out there is a bit early. I would much rather see tweets and talk about winning the SEC and making the dance than final 4 stuff. If/when they make the tourney, then talk should be about the sweet 16 (that's the goal of the first weekend of the tourny) then they can talk about final 4 stuff if they get that far.

JMO.

I don't know why having reasonable expectations is so frowned upon. If the football team was tweeting about an undefeated National Championship, people would be beside themselves laughing about it.

Realistically this team can have a very good season and possibly win an SEC Championship and/or SEC tourney championship (something they never accomplished under the 12 team format). But for these guys to be putting "final 4" out there is a bit early. I would much rather see tweets and talk about winning the SEC and making the dance than final 4 stuff. If/when they make the tourney, then talk should be about the sweet 16 (that's the goal of the first weekend of the tourny) then they can talk about final 4 stuff if they get that far.

JMO.

Conversely, I don't know why hoping the Vols have an outstanding season is so frowned upon.

Conversely, I don't know why hoping the Vols have an outstanding season is so frowned upon.

This.

There's no wining. If the players were tweeting their goals were top 3 SEC and make the dance, people would be saying there goals and expectations should be muh loftier.

It's a no win situation. They're talking about winning the Sec Championship and are being criticized for it, is it that unrealistic honestly? IMO I love it, and love the players are using it as motivation to get better, I'm ready for the season to begin.

The dangerous part of it is if in their hearts they are starting to believe in Coach and themselves.

Reactions: 1 person
This.

There's no wining. If the players were tweeting their goals were top 3 SEC and make the dance, people would be saying there goals and expectations should be muh loftier.

It's a no win situation. They're talking about winning the Sec Championship and are being criticized for it, is it that unrealistic honestly? IMO I love it, and love the players are using it as motivation to get better, I'm ready for the season to begin.

Sec champs---> realistic
Final 4 talk ----> not realistic. (at this point)

Sec champs---> realistic

That's fair.

To clarify the #ROADTOTHESECCHAMPIONS is what's really being circulated by all the players on twitter.

The final four started being put out as a goal by d'montre Edwards and others agreed. But the #ROADTOTHESECCHAMPIONS is what was really being put out by the players.

That's fair.

To clarify the #ROADTOTHESECCHAMPIONS is what's really being circulated by all the players on twitter.

The final four started being put out as a goal by d'montre Edwards and others agreed. But the #ROADTOTHESECCHAMPIONS is what was really being put out by the players.

Fair enough.

Here's a few recent tweets...

“@JeronneMaymon: “@DMontre32: That boy @JeronneMaymon stay checking on me making sure I'm getting the job done. #Leader” got to bro! We need everybody”

“@JordyMac52: I love the things I'm hearing from my teammates everybody working hard. This is as hard as I have every worked. #road2secchamps”

Sec champs---> realistic

Was it realistic for George mason to make the final four.....seton hall to make the championship in the eighties.....NC State who barely made the tournament to beat one of the greatest teams in NCAA history in the championship.......for tennessee to win the 98 football championship.....for 85 Tennessee to beat that loaded Hurricanes team in college football...... Appy state to beat michigan.

I do not understand this defeatist type attitude.... When you play sports you can't think or feel the other team is going to beat you or already defeated.... Our AD should be the one dealing with realistic expectations based on the job being done by the coaches and players but the players and coaches goals should definitely be as high as possible....

that my friends is the difference between winners and losers. anyone that has played sports at any level knows the guys on the team that look at the opponents warming up and go "oh my gosh look how good they are" and the guys on the team that look and say "yeah they are good. but i see a weakness i can exploit or question how tough are they".losers look for excuses, winners look to get more done with less. i love the attitude myself, and i think martin is the coach of tough, determined, winners. so far i think he is recruiting players that have the right mindset first and foremost.

that my friends is the difference between winners and losers. anyone that has played sports at any level knows the guys on the team that look at the opponents warming up and go "oh my gosh look how good they are" and the guys on the team that look and say "yeah they are good. but i see a weakness i can exploit or question how tough are they".losers look for excuses, winners look to get more done with less. i love the attitude myself, and i think martin is the coach of tough, determined, winners. so far i think he is recruiting players that have the right mindset first and foremost.

I agree with what you are saying.....the players should never bow down to anyone.

it all boils down to your personal makeup, i never bowed to anyone. here is a good example, my son was playing b ball against a very good team, after warmups were over he overheard a player on the other team walk up to one of our scrubs and said "you suck, and we are going to win by 20", he put it in his mind right then if i get the chance you are going out. sure enough that kid went for a fast break layup and my kid drove him into the wall, put him out of the game and got tossed himself but i bet that kid learned a lesson. we lost by 20 but if everyone had that attitude of not taking no crap, then things would be different. give me a whole team that dont take any crap, that plays with confidence and i dont care what the talent difference is they will have a chance. i think cuonzo has this same makeup.

Was it realistic for George mason to make the final four.....seton hall to make the championship in the eighties.....NC State who barely made the tournament to beat one of the greatest teams in NCAA history in the championship.......for tennessee to win the 98 football championship.....for 85 Tennessee to beat that loaded Hurricanes team in college football...... Appy state to beat michigan.

I do not understand this defeatist type attitude.... When you play sports you can't think or feel the other team is going to beat you or already defeated.... Our AD should be the one dealing with realistic expectations based on the job being done by the coaches and players but the players and coaches goals should definitely be as high as possible....

Your talking about post season results. I am talking about reasonable expectations. Understanding the quality of your team and having a honest evaluation of your teams strengths and weaknesses is not a defeatist type attitude. If the basketball players were tweeting about an undefeated season, would you guys still say that was reasonable? Because there have been more perfect NCAA basketball seasons than there have been UT trips to the final 4.

it all boils down to your personal makeup, i never bowed to anyone. here is a good example, my son was playing b ball against a very good team, after warmups were over he overheard a player on the other team walk up to one of our scrubs and said "you suck, and we are going to win by 20", he put it in his mind right then if i get the chance you are going out. sure enough that kid went for a fast break layup and my kid drove him into the wall, put him out of the game and got tossed himself but i bet that kid learned a lesson. we lost by 20 but if everyone had that attitude of not taking no crap, then things would be different. give me a whole team that dont take any crap, that plays with confidence and i dont care what the talent difference is they will have a chance. i think cuonzo has this same makeup.

Wow, I don't know what is the saddest thing here, the fact that your son did that, that you're proud of it, or that you posted it as a "good example". Injuring a defenseless player is not teaching a kid a lesson. Hopefully your son eventually figures this out on his own.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back