4432 users online now!    CONTACT US | ADVERTISE | REGISTER       

About this Page -- This is a discussion on 2013 AL PG Travon Landry Page 5. within the forum Tennessee Vols Basketball. Junior point guard Woods at Meigs Couny would be a great pickup after next year. About 6'5" can handle the ...

Go Back   VolNation > Tennessee Vols Forums > Tennessee Vols Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2013, 10:10 AM   #61 (permalink)

Junior point guard Woods at Meigs Couny would be a great pickup after next year. About 6'5" can handle the ball and shoot lights out. His team is terrible and he is double and triple teamed every night. Still puts up good numbers.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-14-2013, 10:37 AM   #62 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoked4Zo View Post
He's a pure pg that everyone has been wanting. Freethrow shooting can be improved easily with a ton of practice.
How come you hardly ever see that improvement from players then? 22% from the field in high school is quiet simply atrocious. 47% from the line is even worse. Add to that he is shooting 0% from 3. Do we need a true point guard? Absolutely but we also need one that opponents will guard. Teams won't guard that. They will sag off therefore negating his point guard skills.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-14-2013, 12:12 PM   #63 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVol View Post
Free Throw % is the best way to judge a person's shooting ability. If a player is 47% from the line that tells me all I need to know. You can't have a primary ball-handler that shoots 47% from the line in the game in the last 2 minutes. That's a Shaq-esque percentage.
That's not always true. On this team alone, dmontre Edwards shoots 57% from the line, but almost 40% from three.

Some guys just don't practice them enough. I'd be shocked if Landry was a 47% free throw shooter next year.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-14-2013, 12:29 PM   #64 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UConnBasketball View Post
Thanks for the link, could turn out to be a blessing for us with him reclassifying. Must be serious about him if Zo is making the trip to see him.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-14-2013, 12:32 PM   #65 (permalink)
Deez who? Deez Vols

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedingTNorange View Post
Thanks for the link, could turn out to be a blessing for us with him reclassifying. Must be serious about him if Zo is making the trip to see him.
Lets just hope UCONN doesn't offer him.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-14-2013, 12:49 PM   #66 (permalink)

Quote:
Lets just hope UCONN doesn't offer him.
I'm not sure of their scholarship situation, but with a good PG already committed I wouldn't expect an offer.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-14-2013, 12:53 PM   #67 (permalink)

Quote:
That's not always true. On this team alone, dmontre Edwards shoots 57% from the line, but almost 40% from three.

Some guys just don't practice them enough. I'd be shocked if Landry was a 47% free throw shooter next year.
Why would u be shocked? He has not proven he can shoot good from any where yet.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-14-2013, 01:39 PM   #68 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by volbeast33 View Post
Why would u be shocked? He has not proven he can shoot good from any where yet.
How many sub 50% free throw shooters do we have? I have trouble thinking the staff hasnt already addressed this with him.

Do you have his total numbers, I mean maybe he hasn't shot that many FTs.

Like I said I highly doubt he's sub 50% next year, we'll see.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-14-2013, 01:48 PM   #69 (permalink)

Quote:
How many sub 50% free throw shooters do we have? I have trouble thinking the staff hasnt already addressed this with him.

Do you have his total numbers, I mean maybe he hasn't shot that many FTs.

Like I said I highly doubt he's sub 50% next year, we'll see.
I hope you are right but I have never seen a division one prospect with a stat line as bad as his.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-14-2013, 01:59 PM   #70 (permalink)
Deez who? Deez Vols

Quote:
I hope you are right but I have never seen a division one prospect with a stat line as bad as his.
Most HS players aren't playing the talent he is either.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-14-2013, 02:09 PM   #71 (permalink)

Quote:
Derek Reese's wasn't too impressive. Hell he's putting up almost better numbers in the SEC than he did in HS.

I'm in no way saying he's gonna be all-sec, my point simply is this. Reese was a guy who many said would never play (me included) yet his freshman year hell likely average 20mpg and 8ppg, not bad. Travon Landry had offers from Vanderbilt and about to be Alabama, those schools typically have good guard play, so clearly CCM wasn't the only coach who saw something. Marshall Henderson's best offer out of HS was Utah, and he was a lowly ranked 3*...now he's the SECs leading scorer.

I'm willing to see what happens on the court before writing the kid off, that's all.
VN Likes: 1
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-14-2013, 03:10 PM   #72 (permalink)

Quote:
Most HS players aren't playing the talent he is either.
The level of talent cuts several different ways.

Yes, it could suppress his PPG. No surprise there.

No, it shouldn't have any effect on shooting pcts, especially at the FT line.

On the positive side, a PG who could draw and dish should be putting up assists by the boatload. He should be averaging 7-8 apg and have some nights when he gets in double figures. Right now Landry is averaging 2.6 apg. This is where the shooting pcts really hurt. In order to draw and dish, you have to be able to draw. If you aren't credible scoring threat, you don't draw. Landry's role is limited to bringing the ball down the court, making the first pass, then retreating to the corner to watch the rest of the guys play offense.

And, it doesn't have anything to do with the team's style. Xavier Rathan-Mayes, a 2G, is a credible threat to score. He's parlayed that into nearly 7 apg this year.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-14-2013, 03:17 PM   #73 (permalink)

And that's a reasonable stance, BGV, see what he does on the floor.

As for Reese, you're right, he's right on his H.S. numbers - 29 pct 3s, 36 pct overall in high school 9 ppg. 29 pct 3s, 32 pct overall and 8 ppg at U.T. Would never have thought that.

As aggressive (cough, cough) as Reese is in looking for his shot at Tennessee, I'm baffled that he didn't shoot enough to at least get double figures in high school. Here, he's ready to pull the trigger the second the ball touches his hands. As some other folks have commented, he's gone beyond aggressive to near reckless in launching shots. At least he isn't afraid, though.

As for Marshall Henderson, he averaged 27 ppg, 6 apg and 6 rpg in his senior season and had games of 50 and 42. So, let's not go too far in comparing our guy to him.

Quote:
Derek Reese's wasn't too impressive. Hell he's putting up almost better numbers in the SEC than he did in HS.

I'm in no way saying he's gonna be all-sec, my point simply is this. Reese was a guy who many said would never play (me included) yet his freshman year hell likely average 20mpg and 8ppg, not bad. Travon Landry had offers from Vanderbilt and about to be Alabama, those schools typically have good guard play, so clearly CCM wasn't the only coach who saw something. Marshall Henderson's best offer out of HS was Utah, and he was a lowly ranked 3*...now he's the SECs leading scorer.

I'm willing to see what happens on the court before writing the kid off, that's all.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-14-2013, 08:26 PM   #74 (permalink)

Woods at Meigs County can outplay those guys. AAU game of 57 this summer. Many games in the 40's this season, on a terrible, terrible team.

I think the kid loves UT or I'd be rooting for Bama to get him.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-20-2013, 04:06 PM   #75 (permalink)
Brick by Brick

Travon Landry UT commit

Is playing on espn right now.
Reply With Quote TOP