3086 users online now!    CONTACT US | ADVERTISE | REGISTER       

About this Page -- This is a discussion on 2013 AL PG Travon Landry Page 2. within the forum Tennessee Vols Basketball. Originally Posted by zjcvols He'll still be a solid player. A couple bad weeks means nothing to me. It's over ...

Go Back   VolNation > Tennessee Vols Forums > Tennessee Vols Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2012, 05:22 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjcvols View Post
He'll still be a solid player. A couple bad weeks means nothing to me.
It's over a month of very bad play. This is his chance to play against top competition and he hasn't shown very well. Scouts saying hes a role player, or mid major level guy isn't too enticing. EYBL is a great barometer of a players skill set and level, and to this point landrys is very underwhelming.

There's a reason the staff is still heavily pursuing other PG, mainly Josh Newkirk.

A lot of guys when they committ early stop working to improve, maybe that's the case with Landry, because he hasn't improved and some scouts say has actually regressed. If it was a bad game or 2 ok, but over a month and 24 games and he hasnt shown much...that's worrisome.

His biggest fault, and problem right now is his shot. Shooting 50's or lower from the free throw line, and teens from 3 point land just isn't going to cut it, and that's been the knock for awhile yet it hasn't improved.

EYBL is basically a second high school season just against better competition. College coaches love it and put a lot of stock into how players play in this league. As I said, maybe Landry figures it out and works and improves, but right now he appears nothing more than a role player/backup, and I'm definitely not the only one with thy opinion.

Last edited by bleedingTNorange; 05-29-2012 at 05:25 AM..
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 05-29-2012, 05:58 AM   #17 (permalink)

His final EYBL season stats...

23.4 mpg 6.1ppg 2.6rpg 3.5apg 1.8to 41%fg 13% 3ptfg 53%ft
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 05-29-2012, 10:49 AM   #18 (permalink)
Welcome To Detroit City

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedingTNorange View Post
It's over a month of very bad play. This is his chance to play against top competition and he hasn't shown very well. Scouts saying hes a role player, or mid major level guy isn't too enticing. EYBL is a great barometer of a players skill set and level, and to this point landrys is very underwhelming.

There's a reason the staff is still heavily pursuing other PG, mainly Josh Newkirk.

A lot of guys when they committ early stop working to improve, maybe that's the case with Landry, because he hasn't improved and some scouts say has actually regressed. If it was a bad game or 2 ok, but over a month and 24 games and he hasnt shown much...that's worrisome.

His biggest fault, and problem right now is his shot. Shooting 50's or lower from the free throw line, and teens from 3 point land just isn't going to cut it, and that's been the knock for awhile yet it hasn't improved.

EYBL is basically a second high school season just against better competition. College coaches love it and put a lot of stock into how players play in this league. As I said, maybe Landry figures it out and works and improves, but right now he appears nothing more than a role player/backup, and I'm definitely not the only one with thy opinion.
THe problem we are pursuing another point guard is because we don't have one other than Landry when Golden leaves.

I agree, the stats are disappointing. But I'm not too worried.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 05-29-2012, 10:59 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjcvols View Post
THe problem we are pursuing another point guard is because we don't have one other than Landry when Golden leaves.

I agree, the stats are disappointing. But I'm not too worried.
I don't think it's as much that as it is they aren't confident in Landry. You have golden and Landry for 2013 season. Were high on Richmond list for 2014 and will most likely bring a PG in that class as well. So that leaves Landry and frosh for the 2014 season. Plus you still have Armani and Richardson who both can play the point, Armani more than josh most likely.

So yes while pursuing Newkirk has something to probably do with future depth, I'd say it's more about the lack of progression and confidence the staff has in Landry. As posters have been saying, if it comes down to the end and we have Newkirk committed and need another scholarship for a recruit, the staff may be telling Landry to look elsewhere. Or maybe even if they get a committment from Newkirk they may go ahead and tell him to look elsewhere.

I like Landry, he's a great kid and very humble, but right now he's not a SEC point guard. If he busts his a$$ in the gym then maybe hell be one, but right now I'm worried if he's our PG of the future.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 05-29-2012, 05:12 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
His final EYBL season stats...

23.4 mpg 6.1ppg 2.6rpg 3.5apg 1.8to 41%fg 13% 3ptfg 53%ft
looks like another washpun to me
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 05-29-2012, 06:14 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by olesmokey081764 View Post
looks like another washpun to me
Numbers look similar, however washpun atleast was an elite athlete.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 05-30-2012, 12:21 AM   #22 (permalink)

I looked at some of the box scores for the EYBL games. Now while I didn't look at all of them, I think it's safe to say that Landry's team was in over their heads at this thing. They finished 5-15 and many of the games were not even close. Maybe Landry's bad numbers are a product of a pass-first PG on a badly over-matched team. Who knows really without someone having been there or posting video.

If he played EYBL will he still play AAU ball this summer too? If so, it will be interesting to see if his numbers spike back up. If he struggles in regular AAU, Martin may cut him loose sooner rather than later.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 05-30-2012, 12:22 AM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
And talked trash at a late game technical worthy level.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 05-30-2012, 04:49 AM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zansdad View Post
I looked at some of the box scores for the EYBL games. Now while I didn't look at all of them, I think it's safe to say that Landry's team was in over their heads at this thing. They finished 5-15 and many of the games were not even close. Maybe Landry's bad numbers are a product of a pass-first PG on a badly over-matched team. Who knows really without someone having been there or posting video.

If he played EYBL will he still play AAU ball this summer too? If so, it will be interesting to see if his numbers spike back up. If he struggles in regular AAU, Martin may cut him loose sooner rather than later.
Even in their "good" games he didn't exactly play lights out, that was the issue I had. He has 5* jimmy Taylor and 5* 14' Devin booker on his team, they should've been better than what they were.

I didn't get to see any, was planning in making the Hampton session but things came up. So I'm solely going off the numbers, and more so what scouts reports and opinions are of him after every session, and now after the season.

As far as the playing more AAU ball, I'm really not sure about that part, I can try and find out though.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 05-30-2012, 04:50 AM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zansdad View Post
And talked trash at a late game technical worthy level.
Damn straight.

I'm not supporting washpun I wanted him gone as bad as anybody, I was just saying numbers are similar but atleast washpun had the raw pure athlete angle about him.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 05-30-2012, 07:36 AM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Washpun also averaged 18 points, 5.4 rebounds, 4.0 assists, 3.7 steals and 2.1 blocks per game in his senior season of high school. To this point, Landry hasn't gotten close to double figures and his steals numbers aren't in that neighborhood. Acknowledge that steals numbers aren't always indicative of a great defender, but it's a nice stat for an elite PG.

Will be interesting to see if Landry's senior numbers pick up as his high school team lost it's two leading scorers last season and he almost has to start scoring for them to stay in the upper levels of AL high school basketball.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 05-30-2012, 09:04 AM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanicus View Post
Washpun also averaged 18 points, 5.4 rebounds, 4.0 assists, 3.7 steals and 2.1 blocks per game in his senior season of high school. To this point, Landry hasn't gotten close to double figures and his steals numbers aren't in that neighborhood. Acknowledge that steals numbers aren't always indicative of a great defender, but it's a nice stat for an elite PG.

Will be interesting to see if Landry's senior numbers pick up as his high school team lost it's two leading scorers last season and he almost has to start scoring for them to stay in the upper levels of AL high school basketball.
To be fair Landry did average double figures as a sophomore on varsity.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-12-2013, 04:18 PM   #28 (permalink)

Landry currently playing on ESPN if you haven't seen him play yet
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-12-2013, 04:25 PM   #29 (permalink)

He's shutting down the other teams best player. He doesn't switch on defense because he doesn't have to switch. Also, the kid doesn't have to score, have you seen his team? They are loaded. He is their distributor or point guard.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-12-2013, 04:27 PM   #30 (permalink)

I'm very impressed with Landry's defense and ball handling...he's also clearly the "leader/captain" of this team, he has the respect of his players.

Just has a nice take on a fast break opportunity.
Reply With Quote TOP