Mr. SEC on NCAA chances

sittinginclass

Says that we have no chance outside of winning the SEC Tourney
Homepage | MrSEC

Not saying the word of an online article is final, obviously many people (including Counzo) disagree, but I think it is important to realize that there is a chance we close well, 5-1 or 6-0, and are still a bubble team at best.

Discuss...

Last edited:
Says that we have no chance outside of winning the SEC Tourney
Homepage | MrSEC

Not saying the word of an online article is final, obviously many people (including Counzo) disagree, but I think it is important to realize that there is a chance we close well, 5-1 or 6-0, and are still a bubble team at best.

Discuss...

If we go 5-1 win 2 in sec t OR go 6-0 win 2 in sec t......WE ARE IN!

I see no way the committee hold us with those scenarios. I think a lot of weight will be put on post stokes and last month or so and will earn us a bid.

Only way I see that changing is if a whole bunch of teams that wouldn't make it win their conference tournaments and take away some of the at large bids.

I don't think it's quite a long shot. To be honest, I didn't expect to make the tournament coming into the year. We've got great wins but almost equally terrible losses, so I can see justification either way.

Reactions: 1 person
I disagree. I do understand the 3 bad losses we have. I do understand that bama got left out at 12 and 4 last year. However...if we win out and move to 11 and 5 in conference i say we are in and here are the reseasons:

1. sos
2. (if we win out) 6 quality wins
3. 9 and 1 in last 10

We need to beat Vandy; 5-1 and a couple of wins in the tourney would do it IMO.

There are two at large scenarios that would work:

-6-0, 2-1 in SEC Tourney (finishing 20-13 with an RPI in the low to mid 40s)
-5-1, 2-1 in SEC Tourney (finishing 19-14 with an RPI in the high 40s to low 50s)

Outside of that, he's right.

I don't think it's quite a long shot. To be honest, I didn't expect to make the tournament coming into the year. We've got great wins but almost equally terrible losses, so I can see justification either way.

Those bad losses were early in the season.

There are two at large scenarios that would work:

-6-0, 2-1 in SEC Tourney (finishing 20-13 with an RPI in the low to mid 40s)
-5-1, 2-1 in SEC Tourney (finishing 19-14 with an RPI in the high 40s to low 50s)

Outside of that, he's right.

Exactly right!

20 wins should do it this year. Would mean TN would enter the tourney as one of the hottest teams in the NCAA--something the committee would take into account. A 20-13 team who wins 8 out of the last 10 looks a lot better than a 20-13 who loses 8 out of the last 10. The final weeks make a difference to them.

I won't get my hopes up. I'm looking forward to the next game, and that game only. I'll support my Vols whether they're in the NIT or the NCAA.

Reactions: 2 people
MrSec gives no weight to 'last 10 games'. The Selection Committee does.

The USC trojans got an at-large bid last year at 19-15, 4th place in the Pac10...with an rpi of 67.

I really do think that we can win the rest of our games and then ride the momentum wave into the NCAA tourament as an underdog

The selection committee is trying to make the first two months count just as much as the last two. There's no real way to hide the CoC/Oakland/AP losses unless the committee solely judges UT based on games with Stokes.

Those bad losses were early in the season.

Yet they were so bad I don't think a selection committee can just overlook them.

I'm aware that the end of the season sometimes means more, but losses like Austin Peay are probably still going to sting really bad.

Why does everyone think 2 win the the tourney is a giving? Just asking I dont know all the sceniero of who we would be playing in the 1st to rds.

I think we have to go 6-0 to overcome the early season losses to Oakland, CoC, and Peay. Then we have to win twice in the SEC tourny. If we can do this I will be looking to win the SEC tourny. Stranger things have happened before. GBO

Why does everyone think 2 win the the tourney is a giving? Just asking I dont know all the sceniero of who we would be playing in the 1st to rds.

Say we finish third in the SEC at 11-5. We get a bye and avoid Kentucky. I'd like our chances.

Love my Vols, but a team who lost to a winless Austin Peay team at home, probably doesn't deserve to go dancing...

I'm gonna be at the vandy game with bells on. Especially if we are 5-0 between now and then.

All this talk is fun. But we really just need to focus on Arkansas. If we win the next 3 then we can really start talking about it. Two more losses completly eliminates us from an atlarge bid. And one more loss will be very tough to overcome.

Another point, I don't see 5-1 or 6-0 as a given with the remaining schedule. I think 4-2 would be a good showing, and I would be proud of that in the final games. We have yet to show much consistency this year.

VN Store

Back