Are the Vols peaking at the right time and

1985Vols

can they win out in the SEC , win at least 2 games in the SEC tourney and get in the NCAA?

I think it is possible because:

1. Jordan McRae is playing more like we expected coming into the season
2. Kenny Hall is playing tougher and getting rebounds
3. McBee is hitting shots and his teammates are getting him the ball when he is open on the perimeter
4. Golden is playing more like a PG, distributing the ball and not taking 15 shots a game trying to do it all himself
5. Maymon is a beast
6. Stokes will continue to improve and makes teams double down which opens up shots on the perimeter for McBee, McRae, GOlden
7. THe entire team is playing smothering defense. FL was not getting many good shots from the perimeter until the last couple of minutes when we were not wanting to foul

The biggest hurdle for this team was the road woes. They (hopefully) are gone, and the it's not impossible to win out with Alabama's suspensions.

This team is a roller coaster ride, but I love their heart and hustle. Still not buying in on the big dance talk though.

Reactions: 2 people
This team is a roller coaster ride, but I love their heart and hustle. Still not buying in on the big dance talk though.

Agree it's hard to fathom after what we have seen this year (up one game, down the next), however, I have reason to believe after looking at the schedule that they could win out or at least finish 5-1 and depending on the SEC tourney, could play our way into March Madness as a 9 or 10 seed.

The biggest hurdle for this team was the road woes. They (hopefully) are gone, and the it's not impossible to win out with Alabama's suspensions.

im hoping the 1 big road game we just got against a top team, will give the confidence they needed.

Limiting the turnovers and hitting 3's is the key to this teams success.

4 out of the past 5 years 5 SEC teams have made the tournament.

Kentucky
Vanderbilt
Florida
Mississippi State

IMO are clearly the top 4

Alabama 5-4 16-7
Arkansas 5-5. 17-8
Tennessee 5-5. 13-12
Ole Miss 4-5. 14-5

All have their fair share of tough games

Is Tennessee to far behind to catch up? I see Arkansas being our biggest challenge to overcome. A win over them would go a long way

Limiting the turnovers and hitting 3's is the key to this teams success.

bingo! surprisingly though we had more turnovers tonight than ccm would like us to. just shows, you play good d and rebound and you will be there in the end.

4 out of the past 5 years 5 SEC teams have made the tournament.

Kentucky
Vanderbilt
Florida
Mississippi State

IMO are clearly the top 4

Alabama 5-4 16-7
Arkansas 5-5. 17-8
Tennessee 5-5. 13-12
Ole Miss 4-5. 14-5

All have their fair share of tough games

Is Tennessee to far behind to catch up? I see Arkansas being our biggest challenge to overcome. A win over them would go a long way

agreed. if we win our remaining games it'll help our cause vs these teams. beat ark home and ole miss and bama coming up on the road and you make your case of being more deserving.

If we had not lost to AP, C of C, and oakland, then we might be talking tournament...16 and 9 would be great right now.

you add georgia to that and thats 4 more wins 16-8, that would be solid.

what could have been. oh well i guess, lets hope we finish strong and it doesnt hurt us too bad.

you add georgia to that and thats 4 more wins 16-8, that would be solid.

what could have been. oh well i guess, lets hope we finish strong and it doesnt hurt us too bad.

Actually it would make us 17-8 (adding GA), however, that's water under the bridge. If if's and but's were candy and nuts..... Just need to win out and take care of business and everything will take care of itself

If Alabama and Vandy both lose tonight, the VOls are tied for 5th in the SEC and only 2 games out of Second place. SOmething to think about...

I agree with most of what the OP said, but will add not to expect a great amount of improvement out of Stokes. He isn't in the kind of shape to think he'll fill up the stat sheet, imo. He needs an offseason to get conditioned. It really speaks to his talent and basketball IQ that he's contributing as much as he is. JMO

I agree with most of what the OP said, but will add not to expect a great amount of improvement out of Stokes. He isn't in the kind of shape to think he'll fill up the stat sheet, imo. He needs an offseason to get conditioned. It really speaks to his talent and basketball IQ that he's contributing as much as he is. JMO

Good point, however, I think we can get 10pts. and 9 rebs. from him once he is healthy again, based on what we saw against UConn and KY in Knoxville. Throw in Hall's improved play and we have a pretty solid frontcourt.

Just win 4 games in 4 days in SEC tournament and lets go to the NCAA for 7th straight season. That being said we gonna still be fortunate to make any postseason tourney. NIT or any other for that matter. No matter the outcome proud of what this team has accomplished.

I wish Tatum could find a role similar to what J. P. eventually filled - help facilitate, get junk baskets, and play gritty D.

Ya know, the SEC tourny doesn't seem as daunting as it used to. I'm not saying we'll win it or even win a game, but with a team that plays this hard defensively we can play with anyone.

Actually it would make us 17-8 (adding GA), however, that's water under the bridge. If if's and but's were candy and nuts..... Just need to win out and take care of business and everything will take care of itself

your right, i dont count chaminade, because neither does the rpi.

by rpi standards we are 12-12

If Alabama and Vandy both lose tonight, the VOls are tied for 5th in the SEC and only 2 games out of Second place. SOmething to think about...

we're tied for 5th now regardless, 1 game behind msu. they do hold the tie break though, so we'd have to surpass them.

VN Store

Back