Jarnell Stokes going to be the best post player since....

1985Vols

Bernard King??? For those of us that were around to watch Bernard play, can you think of anyone else the Vols have had since BK that would rival what I think Stokes is going to bring to the table? Sure, we've only seen him play 17 minutes, but that's all it has taken for me to think he may be the best since Bernard, who IMO is one of the top 2-3 players to ever play in the SEC.

Too early, but he was damn impressive in his first game in the O&W. Especially when you consider the opponent and his matchups

way too early for this conversation. also, alot depends on how long he stays here as well. tobias could have been the greatest vol ever if he'd have stayed 4 years, but we will never know.

I know I may be way ahead of myself, but based on how he came in and played , after only 4 practices with his team, against what will possibly be the #1 pick in the NBA draft, I can't remember another Vol in the post since BK that has played with such confidence and composure. Just sayin' I think we are seeing something very special getting ready to happen on our BB team with JS

I say the best post player since Tobias Harris...and then after he plays a full game we can go past just the last season.

I say the best post player since Tobias Harris...and then after he plays a full game we can go past just the last season.

#1 we'll have Stokes for at least 1 /12 years, hopefully longer. I will give Tobias some of the creidt for helping us land Stokes. He helped sell Stokes on how great UT was

Reactions: 1 person
Still early. King scored 24 and had double digit rebounds in his freshman debut. Granted it was against much weaker competition (Wisconsin-Milwaukee, IIRC). We shall soon see.

Edit: Actually, King dropped 42 in his debut. Just stumbled on the stat while poking around on the internet. Unbelievable that anyone could score that much in a single game, let alone in their college debut.

Stokes could some day be the best since King, but you can forget being better than King. King was not just the greatest to play here, he was the greatest to play in the SEC, period.

Last edited:
I was so impressed at his first game, the arena was electric when he got going, I think he may be the best player in college basketball the rest of the way, lets stay positive and excited about him, after such a bad year

Harris was not a true post player. Pearl described him the same way he described Tyler Smith, as a point forward. Stokes is a true post player with cat quick moves in the paint that we havn't seen yet. Harris and Stokes would have been extremely tough for anyone to defend.

Still early. King scored 24 and had double digit rebounds in his freshman debut. Granted it was against much weaker competition (Wisconsin-Milwaukee, IIRC). We shall soon see.

Like all of you I was excited to see Jarnell Stokes hit the court. He was impressive, and just the type of player this team needs. But the "next Bernard King"? I hope so, but that's a long climb.

I was there for the Ernie-Bernie years, and they were really special. Bernard AVERAGED 26 points per game his freshman year. How many other UT players have ever averaged that many points? Zero. And he did that with Ernie Grunfeld hitting about 24 per game and Mike Jackson getting 13....with no shot clock or three point goals. I don't even think they had reinstated the dunk until his sophomore year...so he was playing the SEC and other teams who could and would stall and delay to keep him & Ernie from ringing them up! Didn't slow them down much!

King went on to average 25+ points per game (and 12-13 rebounds as well - leading the conference) for all three of his seasons. How many other UT players have ever averaged 25 points in a season? One....Grunfeld (with King in the lineup).

So I know we all hope we have another player like Bernard King....but let's give him a game or two, and remember that King & Grunfeld were pretty good players themselves. Until someone changes it, those 2 hold the # 1,2,3,4,6 & 8 individual season high scoring averages - with the other one on the floor.

Good Luck to Jarnell & our Team....and Go Vols!!

Reactions: 2 people
Bernard King??? For those of us that were around to watch Bernard play, can you think of anyone else the Vols have had since BK that would rival what I think Stokes is going to bring to the table? Sure, we've only seen him play 17 minutes, but that's all it has taken for me to think he may be the best since Bernard, who IMO is one of the top 2-3 players to ever play in the SEC.

Stop...Just stop...Stokes isn't in Bernard's league...Not many are...This is silly talk, The kid has played ONE GAME

VN Store

Back