'13 GA PF Jarquez Smith

zjcvols

"On a Tennessee saturday night."
Staff member
I posted this in the recruiting news. Martin went to Georgia to recruit, rumor is that it is Jarquez Smith.

Strengths:
Smith is a great looking young prospect with surprising skill level. He has shown the ability to play as a face-up 4-man with range out to the 3-point line and is improving his back-to-the-basket skill set. He is a good runner/jumper with length and has the potential to be a dominant rebounder and shot blocker. He has decent lateral quickness and moves his feet well when defending on the perimeter.

Weaknesses:
Smith will benefit from a good strength development program and will should become more explosive and fill out physically as he matures. Although he has made great strides in imposing his will on his teammates and opponents he still needs to be more assertive in demanding the ball. He gravitates to the perimeter a little too often and needs to be more of an inside-out threat.

Bottom Line:
Smith's combination of size, length and skill level are unique for his age; as long as he continues to work and improve his overall game he will be a coveted prospect by the high major programs in the Southeast. Because of his tremendous upside Smith has a real chance at developing into the top player in Georgia's 2013 class.

ESPN

Other schools: Georgia, Georgia Tech, and Florida State

From the summer: "He is a physical specimen who has the perfect lean and long basketball build. Smith is showing skills that we had not seen before. He is a solid ball handler for a post player and a streaky shooter with range to 20 feet. He has a good-looking stroke and is confident in his shot. Smith's skill, size and potential make him a big-time prospect in the 2013 class, but now he must turn into a top-notch player by putting his talent to work and being ultra-productive on the court."

Has visited Ga. Tech. Early favorite.

This kid is going to be a stud.

So even though we are at the scholarship limit, it appears that we are still trying to get another big guy. Seems like a true pg would be better.

If you had to bet would you say memphis over tennessee?

I think we get him. If he was from Memphis, I'd be more concern. To offer a kid this late in the game, it would seem unlikely that he comes here.

Of course, I thought the same thing about Landen Lucas.

ACC, SEC schools target Smith

Found this link. Anybody with rivals sum it up please?

he 2013 class in Georgia isn't as strong as the loaded 2012 class, but that doesn't mean there aren't some very talented prospects in the Peach State. Gray (Ga.) Jones County power forward Jarquez Smith currently ranks as the 2nd best prospect in Georgia's 2013 class according to GAVarsity.com and he's recently seen his recruitment pick up some momentum. UGASports caught up with the versatile forward to see which schools he's been hearing from lately and find out which ones have offered.
"Florida State, Florida, Alabama, Tennessee, Georgia, Auburn, and South Carolina are the main schools right now," Smith revealed. "I heard from Georgia Tech a while back, but haven't heard from them since. I know Alabama, Florida State, and Georgia offered, but I'm not sure about the others."

The Georgia Bulldogs coaching staff targeted the 6'9, 210-pound prospect early on in his high school career and have been very persistent in recruiting him.

"I've been talking to Coach Pearson from Georgia. I've talked to Coach Fox too," Smith said. "They are cool. They have just been telling me about how important my grades are and to make sure I keep them up. They also have talked about how they have a good track record of getting forwards to the NBA."

Smith claims no favorites right now, but added that "[Georgia] would be towards the top of my list."

The three schools that Smith knows have offered all have made a strong impression on him, and for different reasons.

"I've been to Florida State's campus and I like that a lot," said the 68th ranked prospect in the 2013 Rivals150. "With Alabama, I like the way they play. I've been to Georgia for a football game too. I like their coaches a lot."

Having just finished his junior season of high school basketball, Smith isn't quite sure when a decision will be made regarding where he will play college basketball. It could be any time between now and next April.

"I don't know when I'll decide. I guess it could be soon. I really don't know," Smith said. "I'm going to look at how much playing time is available at the schools and their graduation rates."

In the upcoming AAU season, Smith plans to play for the Atlanta Xpress alongside Quinton Stephens and Trayvon Reed to form a very talented front-court for coach Winfred Jordan.

Another 2013 big to keep in mind is Jarquez Smith (6-9, 220) from Jones Co. High School in Gray, Ga. Smith is a prime target for much of the SEC with offers from Florida, Alabama, Georgia and Missouri among others. Smith told us he expects to visit Knoxville this summer and counted Tennessee along with Florida as two of the programs he had significant interest in.

- Volquest

Still very interested in UT and still plans to visit.

Fox has recruited nicely in his time at UGA, the guy just seems like he's lacking as a coach.
He's landed one Top 100 player in his tenure thus far at UGA. Smith would be his second.

He's a solid game coach and good developer of talent, as he proved at Nevada, but it takes more than that to win at this level. Other than Kentavious Caldwell-Pope, their roster is basically all 3-stars.

He's landed one Top 100 player in his tenure thus far at UGA. Smith would be his second.

He's a solid game coach and good developer of talent, as he proved at Nevada, but it takes more than that to win at this level. Other than Kentavious Caldwell-Pope, their roster is basically all 3-stars.

Wow I thought he recruited better than that, seemed like he had pulled some good players, I must be thinking back too far.

Haven't been impressed with him really at all, and thought it wast as good of a hire as many thought at the time.

That's ok though, with him struggling it makes recruiting the state of Georgia that much easier, and that's a talent rich state.

yep cmf's recruiting has been decent at best with big men. as you said he is a solid game coach, but he is considered one of the best with developing talent. we will see that this year with donte williams and tim dixon. He also has a good eye for talent such as nemanja djurisic.

now his recruiting is getting better with each class. this past year's class of charles mann, kenny gaines, and brandon morris is a good one. the 2013 class of jj frazier, juwan parker, and jarquez smith would be his best while in athens.

VN Store

Back